Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a class
Please help

Is my car fitted with an Interference engine or Non interference engine?
i have W168, A class, 1.4auto, 2002, the timing chain has snapped and the car is not moving, i want to know if i the valves and pistons has suffered.
your help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 AM

W166 ML350 Bluetec
It's my understanding that yes, you would more than likely have an interface engine. I'm not a master mechanic, just your run of the mill gear head.

If you have indeed thrown your timing chain then good luck. I hope the damage to your valves was minimal. Why do you ask? Are you looking to rebuilt the engine yourself or just curious at how bad the repair bill is going to get?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:35 PM

a class
Hi BikerBecca
Thanks for your response, can i ask what makes you think it is an interference engine? after testing all 4 cylinders found out that there is no compression in any of the cylinders and i am sure the suspect here is the broken timing chain, if the car is fitted with interference engine as you say then it is not worth spending hundreds of £s on it, however if it is a non interference engine then i could have got away with a couple of hundred £,
once again thank you for your feedback

Last edited by qaizer; 05-07-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 PM

W166 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by qaizer
can i ask what makes you think it is an interference engine?
Like I said, I am not a master mechanic, just your regular 'ole gear head, but I'm pretty sure that most modern engines are interference engines and I suspect that would include the M166. I would love to hear from a professional mechanic as to if I am right or not.

Originally Posted by qaizer
after testing all 4 cylinders found out that there is no compression in any of the cylinders and i am sure the suspect here is the broken timing chain, if the car is fitted with interference engine as you say then it is not worth spending hundreds of £s on it
If you've lost your timing chain then I would not expect there to be any compression as your cam will not be closing the valves.

As for fixing it and the cost involved. I wouldn't want to comment on that decision. I'll leave that up to you and your mechanic. However, I would be curious as to what your decision is and what you end up doing with your engine.

Good Luck to you!