Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

New Future MB owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2015 | 04:45 PM

1987 Buick Grand National
New Future MB owner

Hello all, my name is Jose I am originally from Miami Fl but I am in the US Coast Guard and live in Charleston Sc. I am a huge gear head and I am looking forward to owning a MB. I have owned many cars in my life but when I look to buying cars nowadays I look for quality and longevity. I try to do as much work on my cars as possible and I am not a big fan of having others do on my car what I know I can handle with patience and time. My current cars are:
1987 Buick Grand National 650hp street car
1998 MK3 Jetta TDI Daily driver 50mpg
2007 BMW X3 wife's car
2000 Chevrolet Silverado reliable backup

I want to upgrade from my TDI but I don't want to suffer a huge mpg difference. I love the w212's but I don't get a warm and fuzzy with the OM642. I don't really like the w211 body but love what I have been reading on the OM648 and the accompanying transmission. SBC issues are a bit of a concern but I have to do more research on it. I would love to have a w211 or w212 diesel wagon but from all the searching I have done, I can only find them in Europe. So. Should I stick to what I really love in a diesel w212 and deal with issues as they come or should I go the safe route and buy a 05-06 w211cdi? Whichever one I get will have to last me around 10 years. I am always on point with any maintenance but I don't have deep pockets to deal with a big surprise i.e leaky seals on a OM642. I really would like something with more power than a TDI but with the same satisfaction of driving one. I love my driving and tinkering with my TDI but need something bigger. Any guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tur-b0; 05-12-2015 at 05:32 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:45 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome! I had a friend with I believe a similar year Grand National. It had a very interesting way of how you were to start the car. Something with pumping the gas pedal a few times and what not.

I'd go with what you think will be more reliable, since that is what seems to motivate you. Have you gone out and test driven any of them yet? Might help make you make your choice as well. Good luck with the purchase and make sure to post up pictures once you do! If you ever need any DIY guidence, let us know as we have a great amount of tech articles here.

-Luccia
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

bone stock E55 AMG
welcome to the forum jose...
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome! I had a friend with I believe a similar year Grand National. It had a very interesting way of how you were to start the car. Something with pumping the gas pedal a few times and what not.

I'd go with what you think will be more reliable, since that is what seems to motivate you. Have you gone out and test driven any of them yet? Might help make you make your choice as well. Good luck with the purchase and make sure to post up pictures once you do! If you ever need any DIY guidence, let us know as we have a great amount of tech articles here.

-Luccia
I drove my brother in-law's W212 Diesel around for a while and loved it. The engine was scary and being an Electronic Technician by trade all of the electronic features look like a possible nightmare. I know electronics really well and I know they break really well too. The more basic, the better. Hence why my daily driver is a 1998 TDI.
Old 05-12-2015 | 06:01 PM

A few pics of the Buick.

Old 05-13-2015 | 01:17 PM
SPONSOR

Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Originally Posted by Tur-b0
I drove my brother in-law's W212 Diesel around for a while and loved it. The engine was scary and being an Electronic Technician by trade all of the electronic features look like a possible nightmare. I know electronics really well and I know they break really well too. The more basic, the better. Hence why my daily driver is a 1998 TDI.
haha yes, I can see that being scary to look at. Having a lot of electronics in the car just adds for more possibly electrical problems unfortunately. I agree, basic is good.

-Luccia
Old 05-15-2015 | 10:19 PM

Did they ever sell a w211 wagon cdi om648 in the states?