Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

E350 rag top... should I?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 250 SLK
E350 rag top... should I?

Hi all,

New to this forum and may be new to MB soon. I've been driving a BMW Z4 for a number of years and for the last 6 months have been prying myself from my beloved car. It's probably the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. When I first drove it, it felt like a sporting wrestling match because of the trammeling (the car follows the lines in the road!). And on long rides, forget comfort. However, the sound system rocks and I have become one with the car. It is thrillingly quick and responsive... so, you may see where the "prying" comes in.I had considered just buying a newer Z4, but there's a shortage of them where I live and I'm not sure about the added weight of the hard top convertible.

I've been looking at other options, even maybe even a comfortable car. My only absolute criteria is it has to be a convertible. I drove a BMW 335i yesterday and was not impressed. It was quick enough after the lag and kick in of the turbo, but the car just felt big and clunky to me. At first I thought I was just spoiled by the feel of the Z4, but it's also an attraction thing. The Z4 is downright sexy, the 3 series convertible looks pretty good from the front, but the back looks like a shoe box (apparently made that way to accommodate the retractible roof). I honestly think it's ugly, like BMW forgot all about aesthetics and just stuck on some extra space for the roof (am I being too mean? is it just me?).

I added an E350 and a 250SLK to my list of cars while looking online. I'm 6'5" and fear I won't fit into an SLK, but I've been driving a Z for 8 years, so maybe? But I never got far enough to drive the one I was considering because I drove an E350 rag top first. I was pleasantly surprised. After reading comparisons that seemed to always rate the 335i as superior to the E350, I figured it would be an exercise in patience, but honestly I thought the E350 was superior in appointments, looks and drivability. This is the first car I've ever driven that actually hands you your shoulder belt. And who knew there was such a thing as an "air scarf."

I think I may be falling for this car, am I nuts? It's a great looker, drives well and is quiet and comfortable (I've missed that a little, I guess). Should I hold out and wait for a Z4 to come on the market? Are there other 2 seaters that I should consider? G37, Nissan Z (but honestly, prefer German engineering, the Japanese cars I've driven are remarkably well made, but seem soulless to drive)? What do y'all think? Should I still investigate the 250SLK, or is that a waste of time for a 6'5" guy?
thanks for the input
Old 02-22-2016, 12:31 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Welcome to MBWorld. E350 w212 is a great vehicle, but more on the lux side as opposed to the fun whip it around roadster you get with the SLK. You should try sitting in the SLK though it should be comparable to the Z4. Another option might be an SL. Without knowing your price point or if you're interested in used/CPO, but there are some great deals on the SL55 and some not too old SL63s you might be able to look at as well.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2013 Lexus GS350, 2003 Honda VFR, 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Welcome! I'd suggest checking out TT-V8 E550 Convertible.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 250 SLK
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Welcome to MBWorld. E350 w212 is a great vehicle, but more on the lux side as opposed to the fun whip it around roadster you get with the SLK. You should try sitting in the SLK though it should be comparable to the Z4. Another option might be an SL. Without knowing your price point or if you're interested in used/CPO, but there are some great deals on the SL55 and some not too old SL63s you might be able to look at as well.
Hey AZN,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up sitting in an SLK and had more leg room than in my Z4...I liked it and ended up buying it. Cool car, and I'm happy.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:55 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Awesome. Share some pics of the new to you SLK!