Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Hello from Idaho

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C-230
Hello from Idaho

Gem Stater here. I now own my first MB. 2002 C-230 Kompressor. It was an auction item and I bought it on a whim but, for what I hope is a decent price. It has a couple problems but, I am very mechanically inclined and have just about every tool known to mankind (and a few that aren't). Well, at least I have a lot of tools.

It has the panoramic sunroof and all I can say is, WOW! what a way to be introduced to Mercedes. Of course, it doesn't work (but, I bet it will be very cool when it does). A P.O. had been into it before and had it totally screwed up. It looked like the sunshade cables were put in backwards. I have removed everything, including the tracks. There were some broken plastic pieces it the tracks and a lot of gunk. After studying it, I think I see how it all works. As they say, "a lot of moving parts". I am pretty sure the sunroof itself will work okay now. I did have to do the trick with the washer on the mounting screw(though I did it a little differently) to engage the gear on the motor and stop the grinding noise.

But, the sunshade is another matter. Any experts on this site that would care to help a brother out? First issue is the sunshade cables. I don't see them on the exploded parts diagrams. Are they a separate part number or part of some other part assembly? I found what I think are the right cables on eBay in Turkey for $90. They have clips on the end that are molded onto the cable and IIUC, the end of the shade clips into them. But, that only accounts for two of the four clips needed for the whole thing to work. I see a right and left 2038950105/205 "coupling" that looks like they might be the other two. But, how do they get connected to the other end of the cable? I get that each cable has to move one side of the front and the other side of the back shade. But, I haven't been able to find anything on the internet that shows how it goes together. I bought a Chilton's and as usual, it is worthless. I did buy a CD with the WIS on it but, haven't received it yet. I talked to a couple different MB parts departments. They didn't have much of an idea on any of it or where to find any info about it. Any ideas?

Oh yeah, one more thing. I am a cheap s.o.b. It didn't take long to figure out that this is a big problem if you own a Mercedes. That said, I see no reason to buy new side rails at $450 a piece if I only need cables that are under $50 (assuming the cables actually come with the side rails). But, there is one more thing. There are little plastic gizmos that run in the tracks on a couple of parts that I also do not see in the exploded diagram. Do I really have to buy $1,000 worth of side rails to get them (Even though MB would probably only sell them for $80? - if they came separately.). Is there really no such thing as a rebuild kit for this elaborate sunroof/shade system? Actually as much as being cheap, I hate being wasteful. There is not really anything wrong with my rails and, I cant' see why I should replace them.

Well, that is probably a longer intro than normal. Sorry if that is a problem. I really would appreciate any help that anyone can give. Who knows. Maybe in all of this I will put some info/pictures/part numbers together so others can be helped by it. In the mean time.......HELP!!!!!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:22 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Welcome to MBWorld Gem and grats on the new project.

You should try posting in the w203 subforum directly to get more assistance from same model owners. That model MB has been turned inside out by the community so if it hasn't already been posted, there will be lots of knowledgeable fellow enthusiasts who will steer you right

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/
Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C-230
Other Forums

Thanks AZN. All new members have to post here first, so, I did. I will post in a w203 forum and see what I come up with.

I am sure you are right that this model has been turned inside out. I expected I would find that. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find that translated into posts on this site or the rest of the internet. Maybe I haven't searched enough or I have not used the right search terms. But, after a bunch of hours at it, I am getting a little discouraged. I have no doubt at all that my problem has, in fact, been solved many times before. The panoramic sunroof/shade design is pretty dumb. Apparently only topped by some of the newer MB SUV's with more tilting action. The fact that it was not recalled is a mystery to me. Not a very good reflection on MB.

Last edited by Gem Stater; 03-01-2016 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Didn't edit. Not sure of other forum.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:49 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
You started out right with the search, but if you can't find via search, never hesitate to ask. The w203 subforum is filled with very knowledgeable and helpful people who can help.