Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping the c350 plug-in estate for my first Benz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 e
Shopping the c350 plug-in estate for my first Benz

Hello all,

Have owned a lot of cars over the years, but yet to really own a Benz aside from an E class I had for a month. I will never forget how smooth that car was.

Short story, I'm an American living in Thailand and looking to buy something right for my young family. We have a very limited selection of cars here, few options, and everything is twice the price. Fun right?

So my choices, while they might not exactly line up are the 3 series GT 320d or the c350 plug-in Estate. The BMW is 60% made in Germany and then assembly finished at their plant here for tax breaks and costs savings. The Benz is 100% made in Germany and imported, 4-6 months to order, while the BMW is available in limited quantities and colors now.

At 90K US, The BMW comes with 5 years warranty, service, and road side, unlimited miles for all. Plus free 3m tint, first year insurance and some other things like car cover. I'm only responsible for gas and tires for 5 years.

At 100K US, The Benz comes with 3 year warranty, 3 years road side service and 10 years on the battery. Benz offers nothing in this market, they have a waiting list and they know they don't have to.

I know the cars are not apples to apples. BMW does not sell an estate in this market, and I don't want the grey market cars. I'm buying thru the authorized dealership for peace of mind.

The Benz has a sunroof, which I really wanted, BMW does not offer in Thailand because it's too hot lol and they want to keep the cost low lol. Guess it's also another thing that could require expensive service once I'm out of warranty on the Benz? I did see it was recalled once?.

Benz has lumbar support, BMW does not, it's a sport seat that adjusts in other ways. I have a bad back, this concerns me for long drives.. Pretty sure BMW has a solid seat, but won't know.

BMW has a bullet proof Diesel engine that could be very worry free for a long time

The Benz has a (complex?) hybrid engine that will be out of warranty in 3 years, this concerns me.

Concerned about the wind noise issue on the C class, sales person told me it's resolved now?

Concerned about a cabin that rattles? How are Benz cabins?

How slow is the infoentertainment? What a shame it does not have Apple CarPlay. Does siri work thru the hands free?

Drove the 320d and its nice, solid, quiet, raised up a bit such will be helpful here, good visibility which is important here in Thailand. Will go to test drive and see the estate on Monday.

Really tough choice, because on paper and pics, I want the Benz but the BMW might make more sense financially and environment (referring to our roads) if I can give up some things. Looking forward to Mondays road test, I'll be able to see both at our auto show! Any thoughts? I need some help to figure this out.. Much appreciated

Should I be asking this directly in the C class forum?
Old 03-21-2016, 12:15 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Welcome to MBWorld. Yeah, Asian countries get gouged with european vehicles. Really as much as I'm a MB fanboy, for your situation, peace of mind with the 5 year warranty and inherent reliability of the diesel might make more sense, in addition to the storage space for your family. That's not to say the w205 is a slouch, just looking at the total picture with regional infrastructure also in mind.
The following users liked this post:
Adresner (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 11:11 AM

C350 e
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Welcome to MBWorld. Yeah, Asian countries get gouged with european vehicles. Really as much as I'm a MB fanboy, for your situation, peace of mind with the 5 year warranty and inherent reliability of the diesel might make more sense, in addition to the storage space for your family. That's not to say the w205 is a slouch, just looking at the total picture with regional infrastructure also in mind.
Hi Michael,

I finally got to see the C350 Estate today. It was at the auto show, just next to the 320d. I got to walk back and forth. Damn C350 is sweet...the materials on the interior are incredible.

Bottom line, I really preferred the design of the Benz both inside and out. My wife felt like the BMW was sorta cheap looking inside. To be fair, the BMW is pretty stripped down for this market, with no sunroof.

The BMW was easier to get in and out of, and the backseat has considerably more room. The trunk also has more space.

Visibility goes to BMW because it's a big higher up

Tires/Rim combo go to Benz, but for the roads here in Thailand, the BMW might be more appropriate.

Info entertainment goes to BMW since I could use Siri, Benz was very disappointing.

Interior comfort goes to Benz.

Drive, I don't know.. I need to test drive the C350 estate, but they don't have one. They have a C350 sedan, so thats the best I can do. Going this week.. I know a straight line, the Benz wins by a long shot.

Engine.. hard to say. On paper..the Benz. Over the next 5 years?? The BMW's Diesel is mature and should be reliable as you mentioned. The Benz's hybrid engine is new compared to 100+ years of diesel development. So while Benz has put a lot of time and effort into this, and clearly they are going forward with this design in a big way.. maintaining this engine "might" be more complicated and require more service than the diesel. Conservative choice is the BMW, that Benz engine would be AMAZING to own...cannot wait to try it.

Fuel efficiency, Benz by a lot!

Benz vs BMW
3 year vs 5 year warranty (but I can buy an extra 2 years from Benz)
0 vs 5 years service (including wipers, brakes, more)
3 vs 5 years road side

Benz has strong service in Thailand, so does BMW. Digging deep, hopefully will get to the decision this week.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:52 AM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Sounds like if making the decision with your heart, go with MB... if making decision with your head, go with BMW.

Hands down I think the MB W205 should win fit to finish as you noticed. It's an updated model design and especially compared to a local stripped down version of the BMW F34. F34 has more utility as a family hauler.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:09 PM

C350 e
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Sounds like if making the decision with your heart, go with MB... if making decision with your head, go with BMW.

Hands down I think the MB W205 should win fit to finish as you noticed. It's an updated model design and especially compared to a local stripped down version of the BMW F34. F34 has more utility as a family hauler.
Clearly I need to buy both

It's really win win, both great cars in their own ways. But you are right, the choice of the heart or the mind.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:10 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

The sad thing is.... if he was in the states, he could almost buy both for the price of one.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
welcome to mbworld...
i'd go with c350...