Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

w208 clk320>w211 e55 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Cool w208 clk320>w211 e55 AMG

Hello all!

I was eyeing this Merc https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ctd/6044094314.html

and I bought it... wow I can finally see why people love AMG, there is nothing like it. Truly one of a kind, and I love that supercharger. I am so happy to be alive now, my life feels complete.

A little about me: I'm 25, I'm a male, I'm a mechanical engineer, I make about $65-70k a year depending on my company's profits. I grew up dreaming about cars and finally the day came that I bought my dream vehicle. I had $20k cash allocated for the car, and out of door I paid $14.5k cash for it. The rest of the dough is for warranty or repairs if a warranty is impossible (something is telling me it might be).

Impulse buy, didn't get PPI, the car runs and drives but it has a few issues. This is my third mercedes, I had 2 CLK320's before, both in pretty terrible shape. Been searching around for a nice E55, bit the bullet and went with this dealer, they are liars as always but the price was neat and the mileage isn't terrible. I knew it wasn't going to be as perfect as they made it out to be but I wanted the car and didn't want to look back.

My dream has been to drive a w211 E55, and by god I did it.

First things first: the car is great but it kinda sounds like a 1972 Chevy V8 truck, leaking exhaust, maybe because of crappy job and the removed cats...

also an error popped up for the suspension saying visit shop. This worries me. I want my car to be perfect. I can do some of the work myself for as long as there are instructions available and doesn't require a lift.

Here are my goals as an owner: I live in Florida, so I want to keep it cool in the heat. I don't need too much power, my main concern is a healthy car. I would like to make it sound really nice one day, but keeping it up to spec is okay with me.

I went to a local Albanian guy who owns a lot of Mercs himself and drives AMG's, and he recommended a warranty. He will check out the car on Saturday, we talked a bit and the convo went great because i am from Macedonia and we clicked.

His advice was get that warranty.... and then worry about straightening everything out. He said it should cost $2k to 2.5k for two years, something is telling me that it will be probably be around $5k, which again, if the warranty straightens my car out and gives me complete peace of mind, I don't mind paying the money...

He recommended I get original cat's installed to keep the car running smooth, consider that I want a warranty if such a thing is possible, and tell me... is this a good idea? Or should I go and get myself some exhaust solution and tune right off the bat....

Additionally I'd like to find a good shop in the Tampa Bay area, some reliable people who will tell you how things really are and what the car truly needs, I need a mechanic who you feel like... they're working as if the car is their own, ya know? Very rare to find people who you can trust

So the car is 2005, 95k miles, and isn't perfect. What can you guys recommend I do? How would you approach your ownership? Currently I have allocated $5k to get it to a very acceptable level, and I am putting away $500 a month in an account for this car only.

It will take a lot of searching, a lot of reading, this mercedes will be my hobby. My 1999 CLK 320 is what I use to make the 20 minute drive to work every day, and I don't want to beat up my baby in the florida heat, I am saving it for pleasure rides and drives to Miami to see some techno music and cruise on the beach with my girlfriend ;D

Last edited by MACEDON; 04-04-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
congrats & welcome aboard...
first thing is fixing any issues you have...
if warranty covers engine and suspension, then it's prolly worth it as repairs can be pricey...
Old 04-05-2017, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
I'm starting to think that a warranty might be impossible... I scoured the forum and found this dude Bruce, he said that at this age and mileage he doesn't think any company would be willing...

Might have to do the repairs out of pocket.

Is there a cheaper option with non OEM for the suspensions?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 716 Likes on 697 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/e55-amg-w...class-amg.html
Old 04-07-2017, 02:01 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome to MBWorld! We have some great tech articles that will definitely come in handy for you and your W211. I posted a link to them below. If you ever have any parts questions please do not hesitate to let me know!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Index-W211.htm
The following users liked this post:
MACEDON (04-09-2017)