Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW TDI Transplant

Old 06-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB GL550
VW TDI Transplant

Quick hello from a, new to me, Obsidian Black 2015 GL550 (all options except night vision, B&O, and illuminated star).

Been a long time (35 year) VAG client, but the diesel scandal - and the need for a real 3rd row - caused me to convert.

So far so good, (albeit a bit too soft, when not in sport mode) until last week, when the ESP systems went kafluey (pulling out of a parking lot, and the distronic plus started fighting me to stop, even though it wasn't on) and after shutting down and restarting, all the ESP systems were disabled, and the brakes felt like even the slightest touch would cause them to lock up.

MB of Manhattan said the control unit would require 2 month build from Germany, but instead they would switch out the whole ABS unit (which includes the control unit).

Seems like a pretty big fail for a 5,000 mile, 1YO GL550? Any advice, comments, and/or similar experiences would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 711 Likes on 692 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
welcome to the forum...
good thing it's covered under warranty!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:29 PM

MB GL550
Originally Posted by MJ50
welcome to the forum...
good thing it's covered under warranty!
Thanks, historically spent a lot of time in Club Touareg, and Audiworld, less so on Rennlist and VWvortex...

Become addicted to diesel torque, milage and range, so originally wanted a GL350 with active curve (and was ready to anti-up for doing an AMG bodywork and wheel package), but it's a rare bird, and the noise around MB diesels was growing. Don't want to go through that drama again...

Also was spending way to much time looking - nationally - for that unicorn 350, became hooked on how active curve flattened the ride, and the killer AMG look was now a must...

Then found this low mileage (less than 1,000 miles) 550, with everything (off road + active curve) with a lot of warrantee left. This thing was like right out of the box. The stickers in the wheel wells were virgin.

Set it to sport and everything firms up, RPMs rise, gears shift lower, wheel firms up nicely in your hands, and that V8tt has a lot of gitty-up-n-go. Impressive package...

In all fairness, the Touareg, with a shorter wheelbase, (mine is one of like 100 made in 2010 with air suspension), is a much more tossable ride. But, we need a 3rd row. And TDIs are history, for now...

Just didn't expect to run into such a major sub-system fail so quickly...and hoping my local dealer comes through. More to come...

Last edited by mpmGL550; 06-28-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:24 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome to MBWorld! I hope you get this issue figured out and you can continue to enjoy your GL-Class. Good luck and if you need anything for it please be sure to let me know.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:17 PM

MB GL550
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Welcome to MBWorld! I hope you get this issue figured out and you can continue to enjoy your GL-Class. Good luck and if you need anything for it please be sure to let me know.
Thanks...

Update: Picked up yesterday. They found the ESP Control unit, so no replacement of the full ABS components. Tech report read internal electrical default on both b and c lines. Everything seems fine. Going on a 160 mile road trip this weekend.

Over the past three months, a couple things that stand out in comparison to my beloved 2010 VW TDI.

Engine: TDI
The V8tt has plenty of giddy up and go, but after 7 years in the diesel, it hard to understate effortlessly it pulled away at speed, got 550-600 miles per tank, and averaged 25-28mpg. Of course VW screwed themselves by cheating the EPA rules, but still one special engine.

Tranny: 550
Hands down the GL. Paddle shifters really work well in sport mode. Is there a way to recalibrate the transmission?

Brakes: 550
Both stop well, for such heavy rigs. Longer brake pedal in the 550. VWs have that notorious mush at the top of the pedal.

Suspension: Edge to 550
Both are air equipped. The 550 also has - and needs - active curve. The TDI has three settings. Like how sport setting also changes steering and trans setting.

Seats: 550
Is there anything these seats don't do for you?

Fit-n-finish: 550
When I get back in the TDI, it feels dated. The 550 is such a comfortable cruser.

Stereo: Tie
H-K vs. Dynaudio is a push, which surprised me considering the number of speakers. Of course it could be because of the quality of the satellite signal?

Screens: 550
Boot up is instant, compared to the RMS of the TDI. GPS is also better. Backup 360° camera is trick. Center MFD is not full color on 550.

Options and features: 550
Power anything? Power everything! More stuff then I have yet to figure out how to use. And to have all the driver assist stuff crap out before 5,000 is a bit surprising. But who knew cooled seats with massage would be welcoming, but cup holder? I do miss the lifting rear glass in the TDI.

On the Road: TDI
Historically I've been a pretty spirited driver. The TDIs engine, suspension and shorter wheelbase makes it quite the tossable driver. Both are incredibly stout, tank-like and quite at speed. The 550, in sport mode, is very capable. You do need that extra second to think of what you want to safely do.

Overall: 550, for what I need right now...
If I could have found a low mileage 350 with active curve, it might have soothed my diesel addiction, but who know what will become of diesels, at this point. Don't need any more time wasted on thinking about what's next.

For what my growing family needs the 550 is the right tool for the job. I hope it brings as many safe, fun, family road trips as the T2 TDI has provided. Good bye to an old friend, and hello to a whole new mbworld.