Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

I have become the caretaker of a '99 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
I have become the caretaker of a '99 SL500

Hi! New member from NJ here. Long time car lover and I've had an '82 TD and '99 SLK in the past. I have recently pre-inherited my Mom's 1999 SL with only 33K. It was always her dream to own an SL and I helped her find and purchase a nice example when it was 4 years old. For nearly 15 years she has babied the car, putting only about 1500 miles on it annualy. At 93 years young, she has wisely decided to stop driving.

Deciding what to do with the car has been a struggle. Considering the shockingly (at least to me) low book value, and I'm guessing not that much consideration for its low mileage and outstanding condition I have tentatively decided to keep the car and start to use and enjoy it for regular transportation (at least in good weather). I realize that with more frequent "regular" use it will quickly lose its cream puff status, but again, thinking of the value, it seems to make financial sense to use/enjoy the car rather than sell it and replace it with something newer/more practical. Truth be known, I'm not that crazy about driving the car and this is more of a financial decision than anything else.

Having said that its time to take care of a few minor issues. After a search to make sure my questions haven't already been answered, I'm thinking that's best done by individual threads so any solutions can be found easily by others. Briefly they are: 1) what diagnostic hardware/software to buy 2) Dealing with a sticking soft top lid. 3) Dealing with a "burned" sideview mirror.

So here I go, off to other sections of the forum ...
Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
2014 C300
Welcome to the forum. Would love to see some pics of "Mom's Baby".
Old 09-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
welcome to mbworld...