Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Fuel Smell in C Class 2014 Petrol Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180
Exclamation Fuel Smell in C Class 2014 Petrol Car

Hi, I've come onto this forum to see if anyone has any experience of this. Firstly, I'm a proud owner of a red C180 AMG Sport Plus (a baby AMG) 2014 model petrol not diesel (unlike most of the UK cars here). Has been absolutely faultless but I've had a slight smell of fuel coming into car for a while when I take it for short runs and it hasn't warmed up completely. Smell would go quickly and never been all that strong to worry. I mentioned it to the MB dealer in the UK in April when they serviced it. They couldn't find any fault but made a note on their system as the car was about to run out of warranty. Recently, as the weather has got colder, the smell has become really strong. I took it to my local garage who witnessed the smell coming from the engine when it was still cold. We pulled off the rocker cover and noted the smell was near where the fuel line comes into the block at the back of the engine which is also close to the vents so we guessed the a leak is there but we cant see any sign. My garage were absolutely alarmed and suggested taking it to my MB dealer immediately and I quote " they're the experts and will know your car inside out" Booked it in today and have just received a call this afternoon from MB.... as you can all guess they can't find a thing wrong with it! Absolutely unbelievable and typical. I kicked up a fuss and they've agreed to keep it over the weekend and start it when absolutely cold. Has anyone else had the same problem with fuel smell / leaks and can identify the fault and do you know where I stand getting MB to pay for this repair as it could mean a lot of hours? Please bare in mind it's different in the UK and MB policies are not the same around the world. Thanks JB
Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180
To follow this up - MB found the leak it was the fuel pipe leading into the engine, apologised and repaired it free of charge even though it was out of warranty.