Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

New Guy, looking to buy a used 550 - What awaits me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
New Guy, looking to buy a used 550 - What awaits me?

Hi All,

I've never owned a MB before but I'm considering picking up something carefully loved to enjoy on the weekends when I don't have to do grown up things like go to work and shuttle the kids back n forth to school.

I live in San Diego California so it's the perfect place for some beautiful top-down driving along the Pacific Coast Highway or up into the mountains on a Sunday afternoon.

I'd like to stay below $30k (or even $25k) and enjoy the kind of fancy luxury that I simply can't afford or use on a day-to-day basis. If my trusty 2017 Accord Sport is my sensible spouse, then I'd like my MB to be my totally impractical sexy mistress

I've been toying with the idea of a 550 because bi-turbo V8 certainly sounds like an impractical sexy mistress to me!!! Either an E-550 Convertible (2014 model in the $34k range) or the SL-550 (2009 Model in the $25k range). Now I know that any sexy mistress is going to require maintenance and cost me some extra money each month, but don't they all, my question is what should I be concerned about with these high-performance beauties.

I've already seen some info about the ABC pump and seals and some mention of a timing chain issue on the SL-550, but I need to learn more about what those things mean.

Thanks for your feedback and support.

Joel
Old 06-14-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 753 Likes on 734 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
welcome aboard...
do some research on C207 and R230 forums...