Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most reliable older models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013Eclass
Most reliable older models

Hoping someone can suggest which older models are most reliable. I’ve owned 2002 Clk coupe, a ML550, SL 550 all early 2000 models. The SL 550 was a cream puff I lost in a divorce however the CLK was later found to have been in a flood and covered up by the dealer. After ownership I found water lines in the truck which totally gave it away. I ended up trading the CLK and the ML in for a brand new 2010 at the time. I’m looking to purchase another Benz but are there certain year models that are better than others? I heard the 2012 models are pretty reliable however I found some posts on the internet where there were problems with warped rotors. Any suggestions? I love classics of course preferably a convertible since my children are grown and I don’t drive much... around 6,000 miles a year. Just looking for the best in reliability ... I do understand there will he upkeep and more than likely expensive parts and service but if I could find the right car it definitely would be worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Shoalharbor (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 07:18 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hi!

Welcome to MBworld!

Thank for you the introduction, you should see many opinions on your question here!

Bob
Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 712 Likes on 693 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
welcome aboard...
Old 06-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,819 Likes on 3,009 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Welcome!

Pretty broad question. You mentioned a convertible. Here are things I look for:

- avoid the first model year of a new platform, engine or transmission
- inverse of the above: I look for vehicles with engines and transmissions that have been produced in high numbers for a long time
- avoid diesels in North America. Unreliable since the introduction of ultra low sulfur diesel fuel and concomitant emissions regulations
- avoid highest performance models, if longevity is your goal. If your goal is to go fast, the high performance models are the way to go.
- condition is more important to me than mileage. I would avoid rough looking low mileage vehicle, and would not be deterred from a higher mileage vehicle that was obviously well maintained.