Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

What Should I buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 Mercedes E320
Question What Should I buy?

Hey All,

New to the Forum, but hoping someone can help. I'm currently driving a 1998 Mercedes E320 with 260,000 miles (Not a Typo), and the car is on its last legs. I love it. I'm looking to upgrade to a slightly newer model year, and have roughly 5000-6000 to spend. I've currently been looking in the 2002-2009 model year range, would like to get a sedan, but don't care about class (C class works too). Being younger, I don't have a lot of money to throw at a large repair bill. I was wondering if someone had a list of models/years to avoid in that range in order to help reduce the chances of a major malfunction. An example would be that I've read the 06-07 M272 engines have issues. I've worked on a lot of cars, and could definitely do smaller jobs, but couldn't fix anything large, much less afford to. Hopefully someone here with some knowledge/expertise could chime in with a list of what to avoid, or what cars were fantastic in that range. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
speedlimit (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 07:17 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 462 Likes on 348 Posts
Hello!

Welcome to MBWorld!

Thank you for the introduction!
A good source for model history is to visit a few of the specific forums for models you are considering. You should receive very good feedback from current owners. Good luck!

Bob
Old 07-15-2021, 07:52 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Hey there Bandit, with that list of needs a Honda may be a better choice. Older MB's can go wrong in many ways as you may know, and cost a lot to repair. Keep working hard and save up and try to get something newer, CPO or even with a warranty. Just my advice GL to ya!
The following users liked this post:
CooperK (07-20-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 12:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 Mercedes E320
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Hey there Bandit, with that list of needs a Honda may be a better choice. Older MB's can go wrong in many ways as you may know, and cost a lot to repair. Keep working hard and save up and try to get something newer, CPO or even with a warranty. Just my advice GL to ya!
Thanks for the response. Most of the cars I'm looking at in that price range are higher mileage cars, so I figured the chance of something breaking down was unfortunately higher regardless of make. I was just going off of what I know and own, which is Mercedes makes some great cars. I figure if something big breaks, then the car won't matter as I still probably wouldn't be able to fix it. Thanks!