Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

New member here almost fell victim to fraud.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 06:06 AM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Looking to buy a CLS55/63
New member here almost fell victim to fraud.

As the title says I'm new to the forums and I have been looking for a clean CLS55 or 63 either first gen or second gen for some time now. Most are out west making the logistics difficult. Well yesterday I almost fell victim to odometer fraud on a very local listing,

Always do your Carfax!
I was taking a serious look at a 2012 AMG63 priced within market value with 65000 miles advertised from a private seller. When. Asked for the vin number to do a car fax he ghosted me for several days. I pushed the issue and got the vin number and did a car fax. Well turns out he was the 4th owner not 2nd as he listed in his advertisement and the last reported mileage when he bought it last year was 103,000 miles.
He didn't seem at all shocked when I told him about the discrepancy however he stuck to his story that he bought it with 56,000 miles despite the Carfax showing he bought it at 103,000. What a shady move, he definitely rolled it back cause knowing NJ DMV there is no way they would issue a clean title of the reported mileage was this far off when he bought it. Buyers Beware!!
Old 07-23-2022, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 754 Likes on 735 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
did you physically look at the odometer? maybe it's 156k in the odometer and seller can say "oh there was typo in the add and forgot to add 1 in the front"... lol