S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Customized Special Order 2015 S550 - The wait begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 HARLEY FLHTK, 2013 SL550, 2014 S63
Originally Posted by Streamliner
OK guys, it appears that I have stepped in it, so I'd like to set the record straight:

First of all, I sincerely apologize for the "get a life" thing I said. It's not for me to follow something like this nearly as closely as many of you did, but I was out of line to make light of it. If so many of you folks find this so utterly interesting, informative and entertaining, who am I to judge?

As far as the car goes, it certainly is lovely. I wouldn't have ordered it that way, but most folks here probably wouldn't have either. I congratulate LM and hope he enjoys his new ride.

As for my new car, the "customization" I would have loved, is not something MB is willing to do: I would have loved a new S550 without the Panorama Roof, without run flat tires and with a jack & spare hidden in the trunk. All that said, I do not think I would have paid what LM paid for his custom order to get those things. I will deal with these three issues the best I can and live with them.

So, I still don't like black cars. I still don't like interiors that are half black and half another color. I still think that the cost to build this thing was way off the charts and a waste of money, but that's JUST ME and I do apologize to anyone I may have offended with my previous remarks.

May we all enjoy whatever it is we are driving, as much as LM is enjoying his wonderful new car.

Merry Christmas to all,

Streamliner
Way to go Streamliner, it takes a real man to apoligize...
Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by MBZSW221
I thought it was to do with ABC or wheels or somethin. Maybe US customers do not want to think the 600 is a "sporty" car. Or they don't want it to look like most 550s. But still if I was ever a 600 buyer, I would get the AMG package. I have tried that configurator, not as easy to use as MBUSA.
The 600 has not been offered in the US because it turned out to be an AMG competitor by either matching or beating them performance-wise. A 600 with sport package is more or less like the 65 minus the price. Both are exclusive...
Old 12-03-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The 600 has not been offered in the US because it turned out to be an AMG competitor by either matching or beating them performance-wise. A 600 with sport package is more or less like the 65 minus the price. Both are exclusive...
Exactly. I guess they sell more AMGs here than other countries. I liked the S600 W221 but thought it would look better with an AMG package. Did they offer the AMG package for any W221 with only AMG rims and no AMG skirts and bumpers? I remember someone got a S600 on the W221 forum and they only had AMG rims.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by ChuckinTucson
...I think we're all over this car and it's time for LM for order another one and start another thread. I'm thinking the new Mercedes-Maybach is in order. So, LM if you could do us all a favor, please run down to Howard St at your next earliest convenience and order another car...
Now, I am seriously concerned. I think you are working with my dealer. I just got this from them a little while ago suggesting the same thing...
-
Attached Files

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 12-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,063 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I don't know if you mentioned it and I just missed it, but would you mind telling us what you paid to have the 600 grill put in? Also, did they credit you for the 550 grill?
Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know if you mentioned it and I just missed it, but would you mind telling us what you paid to have the 600 grill put in? Also, did they credit you for the 550 grill?
In order to put the grill on, you also need to change the height of the night view camera. That means you need to order the bracket that holds the camera on the S600/S65, as well as the grill.

The total list price was $2,680 for parts and labor. The grill itself is a little over $2,000 list price.

I did not get a credit for the 550 grill.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 12-03-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:30 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by LovinMercedes
Now, I am seriously concerned. I think you are working with my dealer. I just got this from them a little while ago suggesting the same thing...
Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
In order to put the grill on, you also need to change the height of the night view camera. That means you need to order the bracket that holds the camera on the S600/S65, as well as the grill.

The total list price was $2,680 for parts and labor. The grill itself is a little over $2,000 list price.

I did not get a credit for the 550 grill.
Wow! So, is the 550 grill sitting in a box in your garage? After giving this dealer the special order of a lifetime, I would have thought they would be a bit more accommodating and would have credited you back for the 550 grill, especially since it never saw a mile on the road and the fact that their body shop must have a need for them on a regular basis.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow! So, is the 550 grill sitting in a box in your garage? After giving this dealer the special order of a lifetime, I would have thought they would be a bit more accommodating and would have credited you back for the 550 grill, especially since it never saw a mile on the road and the fact that their body shop must have a need for them on a regular basis.
This cost was worked into my overall price of the car and the dealer was very accommodating.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This cost was worked into my overall price of the car and the dealer was very accommodating.
Well, that's good to know. And the 550 grill, what became of that? Just curious.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, that's good to know. And the 550 grill, what became of that? Just curious.
I have it sitting in a box.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
If you do order the maybach I definitely would love to meet you at mb of SF when you pick it up! There's a great restaurant across the street , my treat
Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
Originally Posted by tusabes
If you do order the maybach I definitely would love to meet you at mb of SF when you pick it up! There's a great restaurant across the street , my treat
Have him drive you to the restaurant!
Old 12-05-2014, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chucky300
Lovin - what are your thoughts on the ride? With the runflats / on 20s.
Today was the first day I really took the car on the highway for an extended period of time.

Remember, here in Northern California, the roads are not as bad as the Northeast. The roads and highways I went on today were relatively smooth.

Frankly, I was very surprised at the ride, in a good way. I can't imagine that on the flat smooth roads, the car could feel that much better with the conventional tires. Even the ridges in the roads and the areas where the roads were not as smooth, felt better than I had thought. I would imagine the place where one might get the most improvement with conventional tires, is going over bumps or rough roads.

I have scheduled a drive in an AMG S63 with 20" conventional tires. I will make my decision after that but frankly, I was surprised at the level of the ride comfort with the run flats.

When I had my Individual 7 series in 2010, it had run flats and I really did not like those. I had lots of bubbles in the sidewalls. I am told the new Mercedes Benz MOE tires do not have that problem. What are the experiences of others with respect to bubbles in the side walls.

Frankly, I thought this was going to be a no-brainer, but now I am not sure. Hopefully a drive in the S63 will make the decision a little more clear.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None
You should post some pics on German Car forum to let more people see how beautiful your car looks.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2014 S550
Today was the first day I really took the car on the highway for an extended period of time.

Remember, here in Northern California, the roads are not as bad as the Northeast. The roads and highways I went on today were relatively smooth.

Frankly, I was very surprised at the ride, in a good way. I can't imagine that on the flat smooth roads, the car could feel that much better with the conventional tires. Even the ridges in the roads and the areas where the roads were not as smooth, felt better than I had thought. I would imagine the place where one might get the most improvement with conventional tires, is going over bumps or rough roads.

I have scheduled a drive in an AMG S63 with 20" conventional tires. I will make my decision after that but frankly, I was surprised at the level of the ride comfort with the run flats.

When I had my Individual 7 series in 2010, it had run flats and I really did not like those. I had lots of bubbles in the sidewalls. I am told the new Mercedes Benz MOE tires do not have that problem. What are the experiences of others with respect to bubbles in the side walls.

Frankly, I thought this was going to be a no-brainer, but now I am not sure. Hopefully a drive in the S63 will make the decision a little more clear.
You will absolutely notice a difference. I drove my car to PA on a series of ultra smooth bump free roads when it still had RF on them. Yes - for sure - it was not jarring or uncomfortable on THOSE roads. However, I've made that same trip post switch....and it's night and day. The tire noise was gone - the ride felt more buttery, etc.

RE: tire bubbles - I know its regional roads contributing to this - but I have changed.... 8 tires.... 8! (RF) before switching to conventional - in which I have switched 2 due to flats - which occurred on the most horrific pot holes you could imagine. Those incidents would have put MULTIPLE bubbles in the run flats and they'd have had to be switched out.

Let us know how you feel when you test out the S63 with the conventional tires.

Overall - the build quality and feel of this car trumps the 221 though. No doubt.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:48 PM
MBW Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up This Is Front Page News!

Congrats LovinMercedes! This ride is so smooth, we had to write about it on the homepage: https://mbworld.org/articles/one-just-got-s550-designo/
Old 12-05-2014, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JonathonK
Congrats LovinMercedes! This ride is so smooth, we had to write about it on the homepage: https://mbworld.org/articles/one-just-got-s550-designo/
Thank you JonathonK. That was very nice of you.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 12-05-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:16 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65

Not sure abt that

Drive precision/stability/braking on bumpy CA rds (worst stretch I often deal w/is Bway in SF btwn Columbus&Tunnel) really depends upon interaction of tires/forged wheels/CCB/MBC, etc.....not sure an S63 w/std (?nonforged) wheels&steel brakes and Airmatic/4Matic is a useful comparo

Been driving new 65s w/factory-spec perf tires/forged wheels/ABC (and in past 2yrs CCB) on these worst CA rds for past 8+yrs and find this talk of routine tire failure/bubbles, etc etc truly foreign

Have ridden in many S550 Airmatic cabs w/18 or 19" wheels and likely non-perf tires through such bumpy (or even pothole-ridden in case of NYC) rds in SF or NYC and suspect properly spec'd new AMGs are both more confidence-inspiring (esp in braking/handling under duress) and comfortable, despite perhaps counterintuitive larger wheels/tires, firmer chassis, etc etc
Old 12-06-2014, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
Not sure abt that

Drive precision/stability/braking on bumpy CA rds (worst stretch I often deal w/is Bway in SF btwn Columbus&Tunnel) really depends upon interaction of tires/forged wheels/CCB/MBC, etc.....not sure an S63 w/std (?nonforged) wheels&steel brakes and Airmatic/4Matic is a useful comparo

Been driving new 65s w/factory-spec perf tires/forged wheels/ABC (and in past 2yrs CCB) on these worst CA rds for past 8+yrs and find this talk of routine tire failure/bubbles, etc etc truly foreign

Have ridden in many S550 Airmatic cabs w/18 or 19" wheels and likely non-perf tires through such bumpy (or even pothole-ridden in case of NYC) rds in SF or NYC and suspect properly spec'd new AMGs are both more confidence-inspiring (esp in braking/handling under duress) and comfortable, despite perhaps counterintuitive larger wheels/tires, firmer chassis, etc etc
You bring up some interesting points.

With respect to the S550 and S63, I believe they are both alloy wheels but you do have the difference in the S550 with MBC vs. the S63 with Airmatic/4Matic.

The S65 might be a more useful comparison because both have MBC but then again, the S65 have the forged wheels.

Clearly, the 18's and 19's will be more comfortable so one must compare against 20's.

Given these variables, my questions would be:

1. Wouldn't the MBC be more comfortable than the Airmatic/4Matic, so that if the S63 was more comfortable with those features and a similar alloy wheel, could you draw the conclusion that it is because of the conventional tires vs. the run flats.

2. If you used a S65 as a comparison where both are MBC cars, and the S65 were come comfortable, could you assume it was the conventional tires, or does the fact that the S65 has a forged wheel and the S550 is not, play a role in the comfort of the ride.

3. Are there too many variables between the S550, S63 and S65 that any comparison of the drive comfort on 20 wheels, conventional vs. run flat, is just a fruitless exercise, which I think might be the point you are originally making.

Surely, you can draw some conclusion from the different model rides on 20 inch, conventional vs. run flat, or maybe not?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:35 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
S, GL
I would expect a MBC car to beat a non MBC car in almost any configuration as long as parts are still stock
Old 12-06-2014, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jenz
I would expect a MBC car to beat a non MBC car in almost any configuration as long as parts are still stock
So you are saying, the best comparison would be the S65 and not the S63.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Banned

2014 S550
The best and most ideal comparison would be if your dealer had in stock an S550 with MBC and conventional tires.

The advice I'd give - since you are going to keep the till the next model year ( i assume ) - approach your dealer - You've given them a lot of business.

There is an approved tire - the dunlop gt max sport conventional tire. Mercedes is approving this - and will pay for this. Ask them to order it for you. Have them put it on your car NOW - and then tell them if you like it - they can keep the runflats and put it in their stock since they are basically new. If you drive with conventional and you see no difference - you will give THOSE back to the dealer to put into stock since we all know they'll need it.

No one loses.....and you get to see first hand - on your own car - how it rides with - and how it rides without conventional.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Chucky300
There is an approved tire - the dunlop gt max sport conventional tire. Mercedes is approving this - and will pay for this.
While I have worked into my deal a new set of tires, I am being told the $2,500 fund that used to exist on the 2014, no longer exists on the 2015. Any cost to replace the tires is now borne by the dealer.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Banned

2014 S550
While I have worked into my deal a new set of tires, I am being told the $2,500 fund that used to exist on the 2014, no longer exists on the 2015. Any cost to replace the tires is now borne by the dealer.
I didn't know that - but what you can say as your argument is that you paid all this money for customization - that it would take a long time to produce that it required a 2015 build. You're not once in a blue moon customer and I hate to bring this factor in - you aren't buying C Classes.

The tires are $400 or so a pop (probably 300 for the dealer if that!)

For $1200 - they can do you a favor on a $160,000 car to insure smoothness.

Naturally all this can be said very nicely haha.

See what they say - or compromise to do a 50/50 cost split. You spoke so highly of them - I'm sure they aren't going to go to the mattress on this.

It;s the very essence of the S Class....a comfortable right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Customized Special Order 2015 S550 - The wait begins