S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
It seems Mercedes, as they electrify their car lineup, is going to do some pretty interesting things when their autonomous driving technology is perfected. They plan to compete with Uber just like Tesla. I just hope for the sake of Mercedes owners they make the software updateable so you don't have to buy a brand new car for the latest software.
“Imagine one day—let’s say, at the latest, in 2025—there might be a new EQ S-class coming around the corner, and you’re calling it through your EQ app. The car will be picking you up, driving autonomously in the garage, and then picking up the next person. We’re talking about car sharing here—fewer cars on the road, a very friendly ecosystem, and very convenient. You don’t have to call Uber. You call your EQ.”
Would be interesting to see how much of the autonomous driving technology will make it to Mercedes' upcoming EV.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercede...el-every-year/

Old 12-04-2016, 05:13 AM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
the speed limits in many parts of the US at that point it is no longer a matter of whose car is faster but who is a bigger idiot to risk being pulled over.
It's illegal and you will get pulled over for rapid acceleration as well so if I follow what you say, there's no point for the Model S' acceleration.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by UrBusted
It's illegal and you will get pulled over for rapid acceleration as well so if I follow what you say, there's no point for the Model S' acceleration.
Granted but that's where the stealth of the Model S comes in. You launch any performance car and the exhaust farts can be heard blocks away. Compared to a Tesla Performance model just about no combusting car is as quick on straight line acceleration.

I tap into the acceleration of our Model S P85D all the time. It's instant teleportation while drawing very little attention to yourself. I consider it a safety feature. Here's an example of the instant acceleration only a performance EV can provide helping avoid an accident. Most combusting cars would not have been in the right gear for such instant acceleration on demand with zero lag.

The following users liked this post:
ER1 (01-07-2017)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by WEBSRFR
Granted but that's where the stealth of the Model S comes in. You launch any performance car and the exhaust farts can be heard blocks away. Compared to a Tesla Performance model just about no combusting car is as quick on straight line acceleration.

I tap into the acceleration of our Model S P85D all the time. It's instant teleportation while drawing very little attention to yourself. I consider it a safety feature. Here's an example of the instant acceleration only a performance EV can provide helping avoid an accident. Most combusting cars would not have been in the right gear for such instant acceleration on demand with zero lag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRR31NaXoVw
A car even with no engine noise just tire/road noise itself makes noise where many can hear it. Unless you are on a backroad in the country with no one around then you will be fine. In a major city? Where do even go that fast? You do not simple. Rapid acceleration and 0-60 in 2.5 Seconds or whatever you mean to tell me the tires make no noise? Also the energy in the battery motors makes noise as well. Nowhere near the amount of a engine but still noise. People can see as well... You mean the tell me we cannot see in our rearview mirrors, windows, ect a Tesla flying up the road? As far as these "Farting noises" you immaturely love to refer too I find it amazing you love to poke fun at the noise of a car but never have before in your life until you drove a Tesla. Hypocrite much? Based on your post I am starting to wonder if you own any type of car at all. Tesla or not...

Last edited by C280 Sport; 12-05-2016 at 06:53 PM.
garymac (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by UrBusted

In the real world/daily driving there is no point for any fast car. But there are many fast cars. It is fun for sure in any car to go fast. My many years of race track time and driving fast cars I have found the whole 0-60 is overrated now a days and has been for the last 10 years. Too many cars go 0-60 in a very fast time now a days and I really do not measure a cars performance based just on that. Too many to cars to even count can go 0-60 fast. It is almost like counting how many Millionaires there are in Beverly Hills... No one cares because there are too many to count.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
In the real world/daily driving there is no point for any fast car. But there are many fast cars. It is fun for sure in any car to go fast. My many years of race track time and driving fast cars I have found the whole 0-60 is overrated now a days and has been for the last 10 years. Too many cars go 0-60 in a very fast time now a days and I really do not measure a cars performance based just on that. Too many to cars to even count can go 0-60 fast. It is almost like counting how many Millionaires there are in Beverly Hills... No one cares because there are too many to count.
I'm seriously considering a used Mulsanne Speed for a daily driver (after depreciation taken by first owner they make a really tempting alternative).
Comfort and isolation from all around offered by this car is unbeatable and is not so much "in your face" as the Ghost for example.
It is slow relatively with very average performance and a Tesla will easy beat it at stop light "race" but that's not the point, isn't it?
Websrfr will, I guess, look down at me but will I care?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic, 2006 C180 Kompressor, 2007 S550 AMG Package
My opinion is if you have the money to splash $100k on a new car, your biggest concern is definitely not gas mileage! Yes, it's cool to say your car accelerates to 0-60 in 3s but how often would you actually use this power? Both the Mercedes S550 and the Telsa can do 155mph so all that acceleration is only momentary. I am not saying anything anything bad about the Tesla, I think its a marvel of engineering but not that big of a deal, MB invented the car and they will find something similar to rival the Tesla, give it time!

Last edited by w203ck; 12-06-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Tesla just delivered an Easter Egg Christmas gift surprise to Model X owners in the form of a holiday light show with music and some flourishes and for Model S owners there is a P100D Easter Egg that will bring the 0-60 acceleration time down to around 2.4s. Full self driving will be delivered next year as a software update.

Can't wait for Mercedes to start building cars that can be updated and will get better over time.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited by WEBSRFR; 12-24-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 03:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
S550
Tesla just delivered an Easter Egg Christmas gift surprise to Model X owners in the form of a holiday light show with music and some flourishes and for Model S owners there is a P100D Easter Egg that will bring the 0-60 acceleration time down to around 2.4s. Full self driving will be delivered next year as a software update.

Can't wait for Mercedes to start building cars that can be updated and will get better over time.

Mercedes has spent their time refining interiors to fit a $100K car while Tesla continues to reduce 0-60 times by .1 or .2 seconds while continuing to put interiors barely fit for a $40,000 car into a $100K car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Landers:
C280 Sport (12-26-2016), sakodik (12-30-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s

Unfortunate for you people who buy luxury cars like a Mercedes do not care about it being a rolling IPad on wheels. 0-60 times are not important to anyone buying a luxury car. Sorry.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by Landers
Mercedes has spent their time refining interiors to fit a $100K car while Tesla continues to reduce 0-60 times by .1 or .2 seconds while continuing to put interiors barely fit for a $40,000 car into a $100K car.
Let's see, Tesla is just one interior update away from Mercedes really having nothing else better to offer. I agree for now Mercedes offers a better interior but not a better driving experience or in-car technology.

So that guy at Porsche who designed the Mission E and in charge of Porsche interiors, He's no longer with Porsche. Who do you think he works for now? Tesla. Also the chief interior designer for Volvo just accepted a job with Tesla. A Tesla interior update is coming and it will be significant.

Already even with the current interior the Model S is outselling the S Class. While the segment of large premium cars has grown 20% overall, The S Class market share is down 42% while Tesla Model S market share is up 59% quarter over quarter in the US. The Model S is now outselling the S Class by almost 3X in the US.

Realize the Tesla 0-60 times that obliterate supercars is just icing on the cake.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S P100D
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Unfortunate for you people who buy luxury cars like a Mercedes do not care about it being a rolling IPad on wheels. 0-60 times are not important to anyone buying a luxury car. Sorry.
Got it. You are with the 12% of the market segment for whom the S Class represents the best car available to buy and not the 34% of the same market segment who decided to buy a Model S instead in the US.

I bet all the flip phone makers thought like you did when the iPhone came out as they tried to convince themselves that it was a passing fad.

Even the Mercedes CEO has admitted that the future is all electric but Tesla is so ahead he publicly admitted that it will take Mercedes about 9 years to catch up to Tesla. And have you seen the interiors of Mercedes concept cars? They all have a user interface very similar to what Tesla has developed. You have obviously not been in a Tesla or used the Tesla touchscreen interface. Whenever I am in a Mercedes, Command seems like an ancient relic by comparison.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Got it. You are with the 12% of the market segment for whom the S Class represents the best car available to buy and not the 34% of the same market segment who decided to buy a Model S instead in the US.

I bet all the flip phone makers thought like you did when the iPhone came out as they tried to convince themselves that it was a passing fad.

Even the Mercedes CEO has admitted that the future is all electric but Tesla is so ahead he publicly admitted that it will take Mercedes about 9 years to catch up to Tesla. And have you seen the interiors of Mercedes concept cars? They all have a user interface very similar to what Tesla has developed. You have obviously not been in a Tesla or used the Tesla touchscreen interface. Whenever I am in a Mercedes, Command seems like an ancient relic by comparison.
And you have obviously have never paid any attention to my post before as I have stated I have driven a couple of Tesla's before. Reading does help. I have seen many of the "concept" cars. You do know concept means not in production right? They tend to change dramatically when actually put on the assembly line... As far as touchscreen itself that is nothing new by any means. Again Tesla taking a old idea and making it new (1980's Buick's had touchscreen) As far as your Iphone comment... Well lets get real here the Iphone as a whole has not change much either. A software update does not make a old phone new.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
None
I don't know why people expect build quality in a Tesla. As a lot of articles has already said - it's not even a luxury car. The only reason it might be expensive is because it's an electric car, and the technolgoy. So don't compare this to any luxury car. It obviously doesn't make sense.
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
looked at a model S at the mall the other day.

1. Styling looks terribly dated at this point. Its not ugly per se, but it is nowhere near a classic look.

2. The ipad in the dash interior is not for me.

3. God the build quality is dog****. Panel gaps all over the map, trim and weatherstripping sloppily installed, plastic everywhere, etc etc. It may have a premium price, but a premium product it is not.

4. The thing is fast off the line. Above 80, less impressive. Nevertheless, its a quick car. I don't care for the ride quality.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Vvvvvv
I don't know why people expect build quality in a Tesla. As a lot of articles has already said - it's not even a luxury car. The only reason it might be expensive is because it's an electric car, and the technolgoy. So don't compare this to any luxury car. It obviously doesn't make sense.
The only reason the P90 is considered a luxury car is because of the price tag. Not because of fit and finish or overall ride quality. If you took ithe price tag out of equation, it is a nice $45,000 to $50,000 car based on build and ride quality. I've driven a few and that is just my personal view. Yes it is very fast in 0 to 60 times, but it can't sustain high speeds over long disrances. Not an long dustance Autobahn cruiser by any stretch. However, it is perfectly fine fir the typical urban commuter who occasionally wants to .have a little 0 to 60 fun. Since the vast majority of Tesla cars are bought as second or third cars for the typical owner, they fulfill a niche in the marketplace.

I get the Tesla fanatics. They love their cars. Just as we all love ours. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own. Some just confuse the price tag as being a justification to compare it equally to other $100K cars that actually fit the definition of luxury better. If that makes them happy, that is perfectly fine. I just can't believe this thread is still active. It is a great non-stop Tesla commercisl, but the topic has been beat to death.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by PaulE550
The only reason the P90 is considered a luxury car is because of the price tag. Not because of fit and finish or overall ride quality. If you took ithe price tag out of equation, it is a nice $45,000 to $50,000 car based on build and ride quality. I've driven a few and that is just my personal view. Yes it is very fast in 0 to 60 times, but it can't sustain high speeds over long disrances. Not an long dustance Autobahn cruiser by any stretch. However, it is perfectly fine fir the typical urban commuter who occasionally wants to .have a little 0 to 60 fun. Since the vast majority of Tesla cars are bought as second or third cars for the typical owner, they fulfill a niche in the marketplace.

I get the Tesla fanatics. They love their cars. Just as we all love ours. Nothing wrong with that. To each his own. Some just confuse the price tag as being a justification to compare it equally to other $100K cars that actually fit the definition of luxury better. If that makes them happy, that is perfectly fine. I just can't believe this thread is still active. It is a great non-stop Tesla commercisl, but the topic has been beat to death.
You are more polite then myself but summed it up pretty well.
You can not fix delusional though.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 PM

Model S P85+
I find the existence of this thread interesting. I have never seen a thread on the Tesla forum specifically targeting a vehicle and reasons to not buy it.

Why did the OP feel the need for this thread's existence?
Why do you hate Tesla so much?
Why can't both companies simply co-exist without idiots insulting another car brand for no apparent reason?

Some of you act like you created the car brand and model and are appalled by this ridiculous comparison. The comparisons are done by professionals in the real world, not by haters, unfortunately for some of you.

Last edited by SilverP85plus; 12-30-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:00 PM

Model S P85+
Originally Posted by PaulE550

This is the $1 million McLaren F1 interior, you think it's worth more than 50k looking at this? This car is work $4 million now in fair shape.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...e8c6cece5574o0

Everyone that says such nonsense has no idea what goes into the technology of these vehicles. You think puffy seats are what makes cars? There is nothing wrong with the "Build" quality of the model S, the "fit and finish" needs tuning. If the build was bad it wouldn't be the safest car in the world. The s65 @ $265k would not stand a chance vs my vehicle. If you like we can add all those puffy seats, flashy lights and dials to make my car more comparable to it @$265k and you would still lose in handling, 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

I have owned 6 M3s andML350 and not have come close to the ride of my Model S P85+. The external finish has very minor issues, but overall, the MS is a better vehicle hands down and it's not even close. I loved and still love those vehicles, but will never go back to them.

Last edited by SilverP85plus; 12-30-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by SilverP85plus
I find the existence of this thread interesting. I have never seen a thread on the Tesla forum specifically targeting a vehicle and reasons to not buy it.

Why can't both companies simply co-exist without idiots insulting another car brand for no apparent reason?

Some of you act like you created the car brand and model and are appalled by this ridiculous comparison. The comparisons are done by professionals in the real world, not by haters, unfortunately for some of you.

As the OP I suggest you look at this entire thread to find out how idiotic some Tesla owners are since they think their CAR "walks on water"--I am referring to WEBSRFR. Better yet, I will post my initial post below so you can read why I started this thread.

Here is POST #1:

"I am starting this new thread since we have a person (WEBSRFR) that continues to "Advertise" for Tesla on MBWORLD. He/she continues to be off topic and tell us MB enthusiasts why one should buy a Tesla.

Hopefully this thread can atleast discuss any negatives about the Model S."
Old 12-30-2016, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,026 Likes on 744 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by SilverP85plus

This is the reason this thread was started.

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...oose-s550.html

Being ecologically minded as most S Class owners are clearly not the only advantage the Tesla has is the electric motor. Beyond that its got nice exterior styling and its acceleration is outstanding and it handles well.

Now if the Mercedes S class was as low emissions as the Tesla there would be nothing to talk about. In every other metric save acceleration (and handling) the Mercedes S Class is a vastly superior execution of a luxury car.

Being ecologically minded my next car will be an atonement for my current car so as much as I would much prefer to drive an S Class I would be heading toward a car with much better emissions which again is the real selling point of the Tesla and fortunately the S model is decent looking on the outside and somewhat tolerable on the inside and its got good poke.
End of story.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-30-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:33 PM

Model S P85+
Originally Posted by MTrauman
As the OP I suggest you look at this entire thread to find out how idiotic some Tesla owners are since they think their CAR "walks on water"--I am referring to WEBSRFR. Better yet, I will post my initial post below so you can read why I started this thread.

Here is POST #1:

"I am starting this new thread since we have a person (WEBSRFR) that continues to "Advertise" for Tesla on MBWORLD. He/she continues to be off topic and tell us MB enthusiasts why one should buy a Tesla.

Hopefully this thread can atleast discuss any negatives about the Model S."

The actual thread creation is idiotic. The negatives of the model s thread is really needed? really?

What negatives?

Safest car in the world is negative?
Not using gasoline is negative to you?
Not using oil is negative to you?
Quickest production vehicle in the world is a negative?
Quickest 1/4 is negative?
Quiet comfortable ride is negative?
The most technologically advanced vehicle in the world is negative?
Making Mercedes, BMW and harder work harder to compete is a negative to you?

You do realize terrorists feed off gasoline and oil sales right? The faster we move to sustainable energy the safer the world becomes. You do realize these things right? You see what goes on in France, Germany and other parts of the world right?
Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM

Model S P85+
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
This is the reason this thread was started.

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...oose-s550.html

Being ecologically minded as most S Class owners are clearly not the only advantage the Tesla has is the electric motor. Beyond that its got nice exterior styling and its acceleration is outstanding and it handles well.

Now if the Mercedes S class was as low emissions as the Tesla there would be nothing to talk about. In every other metric save acceleration it is a vastly superior car. End of story.
So there is a Mercedes that is safer?
More technologically advanced?
A Mercedes get added new features over the air?
A Mercedes that gets added HP over the air?
There is a Mercedes that has a working autopilot system that is not an embarrassment?
How about a Mercedes that can out handle the model s? (how much is it?)
Can your car actually gather data and share it with other Mercedes vehicles?
Can a Mercedes vehicle send out a signal stating it is having issues to headquarters?

the list is amazingly long.

The Mercedes is a nice looking car, but I will bet my house on the fact that when driving down the street, your car becomes invisible when I'm driving next to you.

Last edited by SilverP85plus; 12-30-2016 at 07:47 PM.
ER1 (01-07-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
I bumped into a group of Central European workers from the Tesla factory while I was in San Francisco. Long story short, they told me, being directly employed in Tesla, they would have never bought the Model S for safety reasons due to some cost-cutting techniques Tesla secretly uses.
Ask Tesla workers yourself if you have a chance (not sales people of course).
Old 12-30-2016, 07:49 PM

Model S P85+
Stop hating on Tesla, be excited that it exists to push existing companies to get off their *** and make better cars.

These cars can co-exist, but if you're going to go out of your way to create such an idiotic thread, do your research first.
ER1 (01-07-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 PM

Model S P85+
Originally Posted by Armadillo888
I bumped into a group of Central European workers from the Tesla factory while I was in San Francisco. Long story short, they told me, being directly employed in Tesla, they would have never bought the Model S for safety reasons due to some cost-cutting techniques Tesla secretly uses.
Ask Tesla workers yourself if you have a chance (not sales people of course).
The car is the safest in the world by test results all around the world. The car broke the crushing machine for goodness sakes. The car flies 82 ft and lands in farmland and everyone lives. The car gets hit by an 18 wheeler and can drive home with everyone safe. The car gets hit by a fedex 18 wheeler and the fedex truck flips on it's side and the model s just loses the front end and the owner lived.

These are real world results and you listen to a bunch of bull**** and base your research on that?
ER1 (01-07-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average.

Quick Reply: Why One Should Not Buy A Tesla Model S