S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Dealer rotated tires 275 front 245 rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
'21 M5Comp, '17 GLS450,'17 Range Rover, '08 Carrera 4S
Similar experience here. The Land Rover dealer (yeah, I know this is a MB board, I own both) did a front brake line recall / replacement under warranty. A couple of days later, my wife called me and said the low brake fluid light was on. I drove to her and looked under the hood. The brake fluid cap was sitting on top of the reservoir but wasn't closed.

I'd driven the truck skiing a couple of times so was a bit upset. I called the dealer and spoke to the service advisor, who said "bring it by and we'll tighten the cap and put some more fluid in it". I asked him if there was a concern about moisture in the fluid after leaving the cap loose. He said "huh?"

I asked to speak to the service manager, who clearly understood the risk from a compromised safety system. He immediately offered me my next major service for free and apologized repeatedly. He also stated the tech would receive a written warning, at a minimum. He explained they only get one strike for a mistake like that.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Some of these posts are getting ridiculous.

1. There was a clear error, resulting in wasted time/money for the OP. No doubt, the dealer should make up for that. If they don’t step up, take the business someplace else.

2. Is this a fireable issue? Unless this is another mistake added to a long list of previous issues, yes, otherwise it’s no big deal.

3. Unlike loose bolts, this error does NOT pose a danger to the car or driver (given the tire mentioned combo).

3. Bringing up the Doctor as a “real world” reference is just a terrible one. There is no other profession in the US that kills more people due to avoidable medical errors and oversights.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
E63s,Range rover vogue
Talking

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Some of these posts are getting ridiculous.

1. There was a clear error, resulting in wasted time/money for the OP. No doubt, the dealer should make up for that. If they don’t step up, take the business someplace else.

2. Is this a fireable issue? Unless this is another mistake added to a long list of previous issues, yes, otherwise it’s no big deal.

3. Unlike loose bolts, this error does NOT pose a danger to the car or driver (given the tire mentioned combo).

3. Bringing up the Doctor as a “real world” reference is just a terrible one. There is no other profession in the US that kills more people due to avoidable medical errors and oversights.
well that would be expected, I wouldn't expect a lawyer to kill due to a medical error
Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
One more thing to check after you pick-up your car from the shop, that's for sure!!
I usually (not always but I do it quite often) check tyre pressure.
I wish there was a way we could check suspension and brake jobs easily too!

Anyway to the topic of directional tyres
http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/...ymmetric-tyres

If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain the benefits of its design.
The primary danger of running a directional tire backwards is a dramatic reduction in hydroplane resistance. The directional channels are designed to pull water to the outside of the tread in most cases, with it running backwards it will be pulling water into the center, which is just a bad idea. Could quite noticeably reduce traction in heavy rain/standing water.
The following users liked this post:
Nice Ride (04-21-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 138 Likes on 106 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
When I had my SL serviced by a local shop who I thought I could trust, he said as part of the service he rotated my tires. Knowing that the tires were different sizes, I immediately looked and found they were properly mounted and knew he didn't rotate them. When I pointed this out, he sheepishly said yes you are right, I didn't rotate them. Needless to say, never went back to that shop. When I had my S550 in to the dealer for service, I stupidly asked them to rotate the tires because I thought they were same front and back. I had a small nick in one wheel and immediately noticed they didn't rotate the tires. Service manager tells me you can't rotate them because of different sizes. Needless to say, I will return my car to this dealer for future service.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 243 Likes on 195 Posts
2014 S550 AMG, 2017 XT5
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
One more thing to check after you pick-up your car from the shop, that's for sure!!
I usually (not always but I do it quite often) check tyre pressure.
I wish there was a way we could check suspension and brake jobs easily too!

Anyway to the topic of directional tyres
http://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/...ymmetric-tyres

If a directional tyre is fitted the wrong way round, the tyre won't be dangerous, but you won't gain the benefits of its design.
I would disagree with that one..... Did you ever hydroplane? If directional helps shed water better than non directional, reverse that and it will absolutely make things worse....
Old 10-21-2019, 01:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 S550 4MATIC AMG Sport package, 2006 S500 4Matic (Sold)
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Wrong would be if you could prove otherwise, all you are doing is *****ing. IMO would be a better starting line there.

Nobody here is saying what happened is right. Come down off your high horse.

Nobody here is advocating paying for something that isn't right. The general consensus is that he should have the work corrected and get some sort of compensation. Not sure where you get this idea that people are ok with it?

Your problem is, you can't seem to separate your fantasy world from reality, where mistakes happen and as long as there's no real harm, there's no real foul. If the guy crashes because he's driving like a douche and wants to legally pursue the dealer that did the work, then he has some ground to stand on. If he just wants to ***** and moan because this gives him an excuse, he needs to remove the stick from his *** and find a hobby. Life is too short.
Joe, It has been my experience that those that want to fire instead of correct the error & discipline the tech as appropriate are not mature. We are all human and subject to making mistakes, sometimes it should cost you your job. Physicians & Judges included ... that’s the reason appellate courts exists. It’s the employers discretion on how to deal with the consequences. If the error results in damages, the employer is responsible.

What is your advice on rotation for these cars with different size front & rear wheels? Side to side at x miles?

Last edited by jpaul4; 10-21-2019 at 01:34 AM.