S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Tales From the Block: A 2016 Mercedes-Maybach S600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 02:16 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Tales From the Block: A 2016 Mercedes-Maybach S600

How will possible buyers react to a used and slightly abused range-topping S-Class? And can the Maybach moniker evoke big spenders?

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage. >>
Old 06-14-2017, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
The problem with the Maybach, is that it has only ONE significant feature that is different from a regular S600 and that is that it has a longer wheelbase. Sure, there are some emblems and some embossed logos in the interior, but that's pretty much IT! Can you get different exterior colors from an S550? NO! Can you get different interior colors from an S550? NO! Different options? NO! So what's the big deal with the Maybach? There ISN'T one! It should just be called the S600L, because that's all it is.

If MB really wants to make the Maybach special, they should make it significantly different from the S550/S600 in several ways. Offering custom exterior colors and custom interior choices, ala Bentley would be a start.

AND, I'm just thinking of this now: How about a SHORT wheelbase Maybach??? What I have always wanted, was a new S Class, that I could order pretty much ANY way I wanted the car. So, what about a normal S550 type of wheelbase, but with the ability for the customer to "build" their Maybach in pretty much ANY way they want? Here is what I would do:

1. Solid, steel roof with a traditional "moon roof," no Pano roof.
2. A full size spare in the trunk, under the truck floor, where it belongs.
3. A custom exterior color, similar to the "Irish Green" Porsche used on their 1 Millionth 911.
4. A custom, sort of "saddle tan" full leather interior, similar to the BMW Individual "Tartufo Merino" interior, but EVERY upholstered surface is the same color with a contrasting, darker dash pad.
5. Some sort of interesting wood trim.
6. 18" wheels that look just like the 20" exclusive Maybach wheels.
7. My choice would be a regular S550 or S560 for 2018 V8 engine.

Can I have a car like this for $200K? If so, SIGN ME UP TODAY!

Last edited by Streamliner; 06-14-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 S550
Looks just like my S550, except better rear seats and some triple MMM emblem. lol
Old 06-14-2017, 05:14 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,352 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Crap, the value of that is BAAAAD for what it cost new!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,403 Likes on 1,941 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by hyperion667
Crap, the value of that is BAAAAD for what it cost new!
I don't see anyone without a chauffeur wanting a Maybach. And someone with a chauffeur probably has the bucks to buy pretty much whatever they want, brand new. So who does that leave as customers for this extra long beast? Maybe a limo company?
Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 s560 4matic
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I don't see anyone without a chauffeur wanting a Maybach. And someone with a chauffeur probably has the bucks to buy pretty much whatever they want, brand new. So who does that leave as customers for this extra long beast? Maybe a limo company?
You're missing a key demographic: parents of young(ish) children. I'm willing to pay $10k for each additional inch my kids are farther away from me in the car
Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 S350 ('15 S550 on order)
The problem with the Maybach, is that it has only ONE significant feature that is different from a regular S600 and that is that it has a longer wheelbase. Sure, there are some emblems and some embossed logos in the interior, but that's pretty much IT! Can you get different exterior colors from an S550? NO! Can you get different interior colors from an S550? NO! Different options? NO! So what's the big deal with the Maybach? There ISN'T one! It should just be called the S600L, because that's all it is.

If MB really wants to make the Maybach special, they should make it significantly different from the S550/S600 in several ways. Offering custom exterior colors and custom interior choices, ala Bentley would be a start.

AND, I'm just thinking of this now: How about a SHORT wheelbase Maybach??? What I have always wanted, was a new S Class, that I could order pretty much ANY way I wanted the car. So, what about a normal S550 type of wheelbase, but with the ability for the customer to "build" their Maybach in pretty much ANY way they want? Here is what I would do:

1. Solid, steel roof with a traditional "moon roof," no Pano roof.
2. A full size spare in the trunk, under the truck floor, where it belongs.
3. A custom exterior color, similar to the "Irish Green" Porsche used on their 1 Millionth 911.
4. A custom, sort of "saddle tan" full leather interior, similar to the BMW Individual "Tartufo Merino" interior, but EVERY upholstered surface is the same color with a contrasting, darker dash pad.
5. Some sort of interesting wood trim.
6. 18" wheels that look just like the 20" exclusive Maybach wheels.
7. My choice would be a regular S550 or S560 for 2018 V8 engine.

I think numbers 1 and 2 are unlikely, as they would involve serious disruption of the manufacturing process and, potentially, engineering changes, for what is probably a very small target audience. I believe, that to an extent, numbers 3, 4 and 5 used to be available as a "custom ordered designo" option - I seem to recall one forum member having a thread on this when the W222 first came out - but it was expensive and added several months to the delivery time - I think the main issue with this was finding a dealer willing expend the time and effort to get involved with a lengthy process. I think that number 6 is also unlikely given Mercedes history of using exclusive availability of wheels to differentiate between models, but aftermarket wheels may be a viable option. I think that with the right dealer the above could be done on an existing custom order of a new S-Class so number 7 should be doable.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
W124, W126, W140, W220, W222, R129
I see "what may be" this exact car in Indianapolis..

The seller wants $114k..

One Owner / One accident..
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
S600
Those of use who have ever bought a new Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls,.. have seen car configurators with dozens of options in every category.

I can see why Merc does not do this for the E and below classes. I can see why Merc has a standard configurator for people wanting a standard configuration.

What I don't see is why Merc does not do a special configurator that has all these options {20 shades of leather, 20 shades of stitching, 10 kinds of piping, paint car to match sample, take a block of wood and create interior trim pieces, springs/shocks from some other car,...} and price the use of this so that both:
A) the customer gets the car they want,
B) Merc makes enough money on it to make it worth their special effort

A customer should be able to configure just abut anything that does not interfere with the emissions and power train stuff (*.gov regulations being what they are.)

So, I don't see this a something cheap, but as the initiator of the above stated, he is turning a $120K car into a car he would be willing to pay $200K for. There simply HAS to be enough money on both sides to figure out how to connect the dots.

Perhaps a $5K adder to submit a car through the special configurator and modestly higher prices on many of the manufacturing tages would make Merc happy .....
Old 06-15-2017, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Those of use who have ever bought a new Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls,.. have seen car configurators with dozens of options in every category.

I can see why Merc does not do this for the E and below classes. I can see why Merc has a standard configurator for people wanting a standard configuration.

What I don't see is why Merc does not do a special configurator that has all these options {20 shades of leather, 20 shades of stitching, 10 kinds of piping, paint car to match sample, take a block of wood and create interior trim pieces, springs/shocks from some other car,...} and price the use of this so that both:
A) the customer gets the car they want,
B) Merc makes enough money on it to make it worth their special effort

A customer should be able to configure just abut anything that does not interfere with the emissions and power train stuff (*.gov regulations being what they are.)

So, I don't see this a something cheap, but as the initiator of the above stated, he is turning a $120K car into a car he would be willing to pay $200K for. There simply HAS to be enough money on both sides to figure out how to connect the dots.

Perhaps a $5K adder to submit a car through the special configurator and modestly higher prices on many of the manufacturing tages would make Merc happy .....
Was not the Original concept of Maybach to allow significant customization. Unfortunately this is not the case. I remember when the Mercedes dealer I do business with had a separate Maybach design center. It was really neat. I think they should bring it back rather than slapping a maybach badge on a stretched S class that is not much nicer than a loaded S class.