S-Class (W222) 2014-2020

Got a 2018 S63 yesterday, would you EXPEL it? This is my 1st NEW CAR at 57 yrs old!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 170 Likes on 108 Posts
18 MB S63, 2022 911 Turbo S, 23 BMW M5C
Got a 2018 S63 yesterday, would you EXPEL it? This is my 1st NEW CAR at 57 yrs old!

GRATEFUL! I posted this on the S63 forum but this forum seems busier. I hadn't planned on doing EXPEL or some other clear bra type of thing on this car I surprising just bought yesterday. Wasn't planning on buying a car, certainly didn't think I could afford a new car, only planned to look to see what a 6 year newer S63 would look like so when I could afford to buy a used 2018 in 3 years, I'd know for sure if I wanted one. Then I saw this car... and bought it right on the spot. My 2012 S63 isn't AWD and is horrible in the winter ice/snow/sleet and broke down 3 times just last month, needing to be towed to dealer each time, standing me and others, embarrassingly. (fuel pump issues each time - got 2 fuel pumps, long story).

Of course I feel guilty right now with spending so much for a new car, but happy too! Got a great deal and they gave me a great deal on my 2012 as a trade.

Boy is the trunk TINY compared to my 2012, the glove box is tiny, the center compartment between the 2 front seats was cavernous in my 2012, and this car doesn't literally have room for anything in there, not even a pair of sunglasses.

It has so much tech in it I have no need for any of it like heads up display (really? - who needs it? it's totally distracting to me), or any of the other stuff of which I'll probably disable all of it including the bluetooth and apple car play as it's so distracting to me personally, but who cares.... I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! I can't explain it, I just love it. I love it's looks, the seats, the feel, the steering wheel, etc. It's just... bad a***. Not that my old 2012 wasn't, but this ramps it up a notch of bad a**.

It's the same color as my 2012, probably the only 2018 S63 Designo Grey in the US - it doesn't even come in this color. It was made by Mercedes by accident for a customer - it was supposed to be MATTE GREY and the check box was wrong by Mercedes and they made DESIGNO GREY non-matte finish instead. The customer didn't want it. Yay for me.

Would you buy the 3 year in advance maintenance for $2895? They say it would cost $3600 or more if I pay as I go. Would you buy the road hazard/tire/wheel/dent repair/windshield/key replacement protection for $2826 for 3 years? It all seems absurdly expensive. I think I had maybe 1 wheel fix a year on my 2012 for $250 a pop to fix it and maybe some new tires but ... $2826? Seems high, yes?

I could barely afford the car as it but having to buy an extra $6k in maintenance in advance and wheel/tire warranty stuff and another $2500-5k for partial for full EXPEL? Yeah, I don't know about that. I work 80-100 hours a week this past year or 2 and this car is a gift of this hard work. So happy.

Here's some pics.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Not my cup of tea, but I hope you enjoy it and clock many safe, happy miles. Congratulations!
Old 02-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Sweet ride. Congrats!! This car is so much quicker than the prior models (17 and older). The 9 speed MCT is much better too. Enjoy!

Couple notes...
Head-up display is very helpful and safer for driving. Anything that distracts from looking at the road is a risk factor so the thinking goes. You can configure the data shown on the HUD as well. I like it...
A couple of things you are complaining about are due to the options you have in the car.
Tiny center console storage? The separate rear heating/cooling unit is located in there. If you don't have that option it's a large storage. But the newer models all have less storage.
Tiny trunk? You have the optional 3D Burmester so the subwoofer is in the trunk. If you have a fridge, it'll be even smaller.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Sweet ride. Congrats!! This car is so much quicker than the prior models (17 and older). The 9 speed MCT is much better too. Enjoy!

Couple notes...
Head-up display is very helpful and safer for driving. Anything that distracts from looking at the road is a risk factor so the thinking goes. You can configure the data shown on the HUD as well. I like it...
A couple of things you are complaining about are due to the options you have in the car.
Tiny center console storage? The separate rear heating/cooling unit is located in there. If you don't have that option it's a large storage. But the newer models all have less storage.
Tiny trunk? You have the optional 3D Burmester so the subwoofer is in the trunk. If you have a fridge, it'll be even smaller.
Ok cool, thanks for letting me know about these things. I simply showed up to a car lot, saw the car, got a bit swept away and bought it on a whim. I wouldn't have ever bought a car with black wheels and may swap them out one day, but for now, it's very stealthy to me and most people won't even notice I bought a new car since it looks very similar to my outgoing one I traded in to them. The other things on the car that take away from space in the car, I'll just get used to that I guess. It's really no big deal. It just means I'll only be able carry a small amount of things in the car. I'm single so I don't really care too much. I guess I could have ordered a car exactly how I'd like it and got closer to what I'd like, but it's too late for that and I'll just enjoy the car as it was ordered. YAY for good fortune.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by stever500
Ok cool, thanks for letting me know about these things. I simply showed up to a car lot, saw the car, got a bit swept away and bought it on a whim. I wouldn't have ever bought a car with black wheels and may swap them out one day, but for now, it's very stealthy to me and most people won't even notice I bought a new car since it looks very similar to my outgoing one I traded in to them. The other things on the car that take away from space in the car, I'll just get used to that I guess. It's really no big deal. It just means I'll only be able carry a small amount of things in the car. I'm single so I don't really care too much. I guess I could have ordered a car exactly how I'd like it and got closer to what I'd like, but it's too late for that and I'll just enjoy the car as it was ordered. YAY for good fortune.
Interesting. I'd take your options over storage any day. The 3D Burmester is fantastic and the rear seat package will be appreciated if anyone sits in the back. The rear is so much more comfortable than the W221. Make sure to put the headrest pillows on ( couldn't see on the pics).
If you don't like the black wheels, just swap them. The dealer may even do that as many prefer the black over the silver ones. But if you sell them, don't sell them too cheap. These are forged wheels. I believe the W221 were cast aluminum and cost about half or less of yours.

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-26-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 796 Likes on 752 Posts
2015 S550 Palladium/Deep Sea Blue, 2016 Tesla Model S 70D, 2015 Volvo XC70
Would you buy the 3 year in advance maintenance for $2895? They say it would cost $3600 or more if I pay as I go. Would you buy the road hazard/tire/wheel/dent repair/windshield/key replacement protection for $2826 for 3 years? It all seems absurdly expensive. I think I had maybe 1 wheel fix a year on my 2012 for $250 a pop to fix it and maybe some new tires but ... $2826? Seems high, yes?
I've never had an AMG but the prepaid maint sounds high. You could call a few dealers (in my area, service prices can vary by a good 30% or more) and ask how much an A svc and B svc would run on a pay as you go basis for an S63.

W222 windshields seem somewhat prone to breaking. Happened to me once (my first ever windshield break in 25 years of car ownership) and cost $2000 I think to replace. Dealer found a small dent, suggesting a rock did it, meaning they wouldn't cover it under warranty. Most auto insurance will be "full coverage" meaning no deductible on glass, but as far as I understand I'll end up paying over time in higher premiums.

Congrats on the car!

Last edited by syswei; 02-25-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Interesting. I'd take your options over storage any day. The 3D Burmester is fantastic and the rear seat package will be appreciated if anyone sits in the back. The rear is so much more comfortable than the W221. Make sure to put the headrest pillows on ( couldn't see on the pics).
If you don't like the black wheels, just swap them. The dealer may even do that as many prefer the black over the silver ones. But if you sell them, do sell them too cheap. These are forged wheels. I believe the W221 were cast aluminum and cost about half or less of yours.
Yes, I'll get the pillows out of the trunk and put them in there right now. Forgot about those. I have to get a front license plate towhook mount too from somewhere... we have to have a front plate in Maryland. And as for the wheels, not sure about them at this point. I'll live with them for a month and think about them. I REALLY wanted these wheels instead (see below) as well as rear screens on the back of the front seats for rear passengers to use, and rear massage seats, but the car didn't come with them so it's not really a problem I guess. Honestly, the rear screens on the front seat backs look cool for sure, and sexy, but are a big distracting I think. None of my friends would ever be watching DVDs or anything on them anyway.

These wheels.... vs. the black wheels that came on the car?

Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Congratulations!!! I had both the fridge and 3D sound system on my 2015 S63 and never found the trunk to be too small. I ordered the same for the 2018.

I have always had silver wheels so ordered black this time. Black wheels along with the silver ones are forged and are super expensive OEM aftermarket.

Selenite Grey along with Alanite grey magno seems to be a very popular color nowadays.

Xpel is more for your peace of mind. Dealer doesn't give you extra for that when you trade in the car. I had Xpel on my car and the dealer said they would have to remove t in order to sell it as a CPO.

I always get the prepaid maintenance and the tire wheel warranty but am thinking of skipping it this time.

Does the prepaid maintenance and tire/wheel warranty have to be purchased at the time of signing paperwork or can they be purchased afterwards like the extended warranty.

Last edited by sam9187; 02-25-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by sam9187
Congratulations!!! I had both the fridge and 3D sound system on my 2015 S63 and never found the trunk to be too small. I ordered the same for the 2018.

I have always had silver wheels so ordered black this time. Black wheels along with the silver ones are forged and are super expensive OEM aftermarket.

Selenite Grey along with Alanite grey magno seems to be a very popular color nowadays.

Xpel is more for your peace of mind. Dealer doesn't give you extra for that when you trade in the car. I had Xpel on my car and the dealer said they would have to remove t in order to sell it as a CPO.

I always get the prepaid maintenance and the tire wheel warranty but am thinking of skipping it this time.

Does the prepaid maintenance and tire/wheel warranty have to be purchased at the time of signing paperwork or can they be purchased afterwards like the extended warranty.

Thanks. Yes, they say I have 30 days to purchase the prepaid maintenance and the tire/wheel warranty. I'm thinking of not doing it and just paying as I go throwing the dice. Now one thing I WILL do is before the 4 year warranty is just about up, to buy an extended CPO warranty so it extends it a really long time, the longest time they'll sell me. I plan to keep this car a very long time.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Thanks. Yes, they say I have 30 days to purchase the prepaid maintenance and the tire/wheel warranty. I'm thinking of not doing it and just paying as I go throwing the dice. Now one thing I WILL do is before the 4 year warranty is just about up, to buy an extended CPO warranty so it extends it a really long time, the longest time they'll sell me. I plan to keep this car a very long time.
Thank you letting me know. In that case it would be nice to shop around. I paid around $2100 each back in 2014 for tire wheel and prepaid. It seems like prices have gone up. The bad part about these warranties is that they are not refundable. At least the extended warranty is refundable. I traded in the car after 3.5 years and only got the extended warranty refunded.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 117 Likes on 74 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
I put Expel on my last 2 cars and I a glad I did. I used a man named Joe in Queens, He was great. Expel did not yellow and unless you look close you can not see it is there. I recommend it over 3m. I put it on my hood and fenders and mirrors. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
I love that color, what an awesome "mistake" at the factory.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 MBZ S 550
To the original poster...first off, congrats on your new car!

Secondly, contact this gentleman via email as I think he can do much better for you on the prices of the maintenance, wheel and extended warranty packages. Give him all the info and he will shoot you prices. The packages can be done by any MBZ dealer in the US and it’s a huge profit center for them.

jjackson@TafelMotors.com

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2018, 11:50 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S65, SL65
Originally Posted by teksurv
I love that color, what an awesome "mistake" at the factory.
Yeah, its a great color. Was called Tectite gray 10 - 15 years ago then became Designo Graphite. Had a 2012 CL63 that color - it was beautiful.
I did everything i could to order an S560 in Graphite - was told absolutely not possible - then you see what happened with this car. You gotta love those MB executives...
Old 02-26-2018, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon
Originally Posted by HSCLA
Yeah, its a great color. Was called Tectite gray 10 - 15 years ago then became Designo Graphite. Had a 2012 CL63 that color - it was beautiful.
I did everything i could to order an S560 in Graphite - was told absolutely not possible - then you see what happened with this car. You gotta love those MB executives...
Ordered a 2018 SL550 in Mars Red, a color that had been a standard color on the SL and other models for years, but discontinued half way through the 2017 model year. Dealer said “no problem” and quoted me a $6,200.00 “Speclal Order” charge, which I accepted. A month later, I was told that the order was kicked back and that MB would not paint the car as requested. More and more these days, MB has one word for most any request: NEIN!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
These wheels.... vs. the black wheels that came on the car?

Yes, those wheels are 100% better and I think they'd look awesome!

On an all black car, they'd go better:

Last edited by Jason B; 02-27-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful S63. Enjoy it in good health!
Do you mind sharing some pictures of the trunk and the center compartment so we get a sense of space reduction due to 4 zone climate system and 3D burmester?

Thanks..
Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you purchase extended warranty? If so how much was it?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by quantira2
Congrats on a beautiful S63. Enjoy it in good health!
Do you mind sharing some pictures of the trunk and the center compartment so we get a sense of space reduction due to 4 zone climate system and 3D burmester?

Thanks..
By the way, I spent $3k today and bought the road hazard - wheel/tire/dent repair/key replacement warranty for 5 years through CNA National Warranty Corporation (from my dealer). - "Preferred Tire Care"

I decided NOT to buy pre-paid maintenance.

I am going to do SUNTEK ULTRA on the front end, whole hood, mirrors, etc. Got a quote for $2200 and one for $1450 so I'm going with the $1450 guy! He does McClarins, super high end cars and now he'll be doing mine I guess, too, in my own garage. He comes highly recommended.

Dealer quoted me $4500 for a 10 year/100K mile warranty. It would of course kick in after my standard 4 yr/50k runs out but I have to buy it within 25 days. Not sure yet... I do plan on keeping the car 8-10 years so it would of course pay for itself unless... I change my mind and trade it in at the 4 year point. Hmmmm, what to do? He said it would cost $7100 to do it in 4 years at today's pricing so that will go up. If I lock in now at $4500, then it would be covered for a long time. If I only drove the car 10000 miles a year it would in effect cover it for the full 10 years, and it's a MB warranty from my understanding of it, not aftermarket. I thought he said it would be certified for 10 years. I hope I understood that correctly. Will have to think more about it.

Here's the trunk pics... SO SMALL!

Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Mercedes does not offer 10 year ELW. They offer 7/100 ELW which means additional 3 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first.
Before you part with your hard earned $4500, get a quote from Jeff Jackson @Tafel Motors, he has the best deal around for ELW.

jjackson@tafelmotors.com

Can you also post a picture of your center console storage area? Think you mentioned space is substantially reduced due to 4 zone Climate control.
Thanks!

By the way, I spent $3k today and bought the road hazard - wheel/tire/dent repair/key replacement warranty for 5 years through CNA National Warranty Corporation (from my dealer). - "Preferred Tire Care"

I decided NOT to buy pre-paid maintenance.

I am going to do SUNTEK ULTRA on the front end, whole hood, mirrors, etc. Got a quote for $2200 and one for $1450 so I'm going with the $1450 guy! He does McClarins, super high end cars and now he'll be doing mine I guess, too, in my own garage. He comes highly recommended.

Dealer quoted me $4500 for a 10 year/100K mile warranty. It would of course kick in after my standard 4 yr/50k runs out but I have to buy it within 25 days. Not sure yet... I do plan on keeping the car 8-10 years so it would of course pay for itself unless... I change my mind and trade it in at the 4 year point. Hmmmm, what to do? He said it would cost $7100 to do it in 4 years at today's pricing so that will go up. If I lock in now at $4500, then it would be covered for a long time. If I only drove the car 10000 miles a year it would in effect cover it for the full 10 years, and it's a MB warranty from my understanding of it, not aftermarket. I thought he said it would be certified for 10 years. I hope I understood that correctly. Will have to think more about it.

Here's the trunk pics... SO SMALL!

Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550 and 2014 GL 550 gone but not forgotten: 2006 ML500

Where did you get these quotes from?
Old 03-12-2018, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by jiceoo

Where did you get these quotes from?
The finance guy at my local MB dealer gave his contact info to me. If you live in the DC Metro area I can give you his info by PM, otherwise, he'll be too far away to do your car. His name is Shy To. He's coming on Thursday to do the MB and I may have him come back to do the 911 another time for the ceramic coating only since it already has SUNTEK on it. At $650 it's high, but I may do it anyway.

Steve

Last edited by stever500; 03-13-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550 and 2014 GL 550 gone but not forgotten: 2006 ML500
Please PM me the info, Im in Landover.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 152 Likes on 132 Posts
2013 GLK350
oh my that is one sexy S63
Old 03-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 S63, 2013 E350 Bluetec
I bought the tire and wheel package on my two past ML's and it has paid for itself many times over. Well worth it from my experience. Have not used it for wheels, but have had at least 8 tires replaced without charge. When it comes to your extended warranty, shop around. You don't have to buy it from the same dealer you from which you bought the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a 2018 S63 yesterday, would you EXPEL it? This is my 1st NEW CAR at 57 yrs old!