200 dollar wiper blades - MBWorld.org Forums

New S-Class (W222) 2014-Present

200 dollar wiper blades

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
200 dollar wiper blades

A bit of a shocker at the stealership today at the parts counter. New wiper blades for my sled are 200 bucks for the pair. Freaken highway robbery. I get that they have the cool washer in the wiper slots that shoot out the cleaner but that is obscene.
superpop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:18 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 3,074
Thanked 85 Times in 71 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Really? That's for all 2014-2018?
Jason B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:27 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
If you have the magic vision wiper system or whatever it is called where the fluid squirts out of the wiper blade assembly then yes it is 200 bucks.
superpop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:42 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
BenzV12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,620
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
2017 BMW G30 530i XDrive
Hmmm, that makes sense
BenzV12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Utopia Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Brookshire, Texas & Cat Spring, Texas
Posts: 363
Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
2008 SL550/2017 SL450
Be sure to only use Perrier in the fluid reservoir.....
Utopia Texas is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 AM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
konigstiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: North Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 9,333
Thanked 804 Times in 689 Posts
'71 Pinto
konigstiger is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to konigstiger For This Useful Post:
Carfan500 (03-11-2018), DaveManz (03-16-2018), msgadget (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 11:45 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
Nice, thanks konigstiger! I am learning that if magic is any part of the description on a Mercedes, you will pay.
superpop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 38
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
530i, C300,
free ground shipping, no handling fee..
msgadget is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:30 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 5 Posts
2015 S550
I think the "magic" is how they cause $100 bills to vanish from your bank account and make them appear in theirs.

😉😉
XboxMeister is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XboxMeister For This Useful Post:
qmciver (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:39 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,498
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by XboxMeister View Post
I think the "magic" is how they cause $100 bills to vanish from your bank account and make them appear in theirs.

😉😉
The guy at Mercedes who comes up with the best scheme for doing this is given the "Herr Copperfield" award.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 03-11-2018 at 12:43 PM.
MBNUT1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:49 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,498
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Nice, thanks konigstiger! I am learning that if magic is any part of the description on a Mercedes, you will pay.

Never thought I would see the day when somebody would be grateful to pay $135 for a pair of wiper blades but I understand it.

BTW this was discussed before

https://mbworld.org/forums/new-s-cla...placement.html

Last edited by MBNUT1; 03-11-2018 at 12:56 PM.
MBNUT1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:58 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
I will be flamed for saying this, but people are buying $100,000 plus S classes and complaining about wiper blades? I'm a bit lost here. I'm literally not trying to troll, I'm just curious.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:52 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
I will be flamed for saying this, but people are buying $100,000 plus S classes and complaining about wiper blades? I'm a bit lost here. I'm literally not trying to troll, I'm just curious.
I paid sub 60K for my 2015 S550 so I guess I am not as freewheeling with my cash. I get that there is a premium associated with this car but come one. Feels like NASA paying 1mm for a toilet seat.
superpop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:42 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 3,074
Thanked 85 Times in 71 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
I paid sub 60K for my 2015 S550 so I guess I am not as freewheeling with my cash. I get that there is a premium associated with this car but come one. Feels like NASA paying 1mm for a toilet seat.
On the used car market these cars are a bargain. I think some people think, not all, but MOST, that they got a $60,000 car that sold for $120k and then flip when they see repair bills, etc. My main thought here is, if you can't afford one of of these cars NEW, you have no business owning one. I didn't say only buy a new one, I said afford one new Now, that being said, I enjoy a good deal and prefer to buy used low miles as I'm in the business, etc. I can afford new and understand what these cars cost to maintain. I've grown up with these cars since I was a baby

Again, many people in general (most not on this forum) aren't educated on the costs to maintain these cars. I also look at it this way. If you're getting a car for 60k, that was 120k new, it has systems and technology made and built that was $120k new. So, when things break and need replaced, that $60k car is still a $120k piece of sophisticated machinery. And one of the safest/best riding vehicles you will ever drive. Once you are in a S class, it's hard to leave, unless constant problems plague your car. Even under warranty, multiple dealer trips take take time out of your day, and some want the no worry Honda/Toyota reliability.

Yes, I do agree $200 is a lot for wiper blades, but I'd like to see how well they work. It's cool they are optional, so 90% of other owners will only be paying $50 for blades

Last edited by Jason B; 03-11-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Jason B is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason B For This Useful Post:
Carfan500 (03-11-2018), rodbuster (03-18-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 02:53 PM
  #15  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
On the used car market these cars are a bargain. I think some people think, not all, but MOST, that they got a $60,000 car that sold for $120k and then flip when they see repair bills, etc. My main thought here is, if you can't afford one of of these cars NEW, you have no business owning one. I didn't say only buy a new one, I said afford one new Now, that being said, I enjoy a good deal and prefer to buy used low miles as I'm in the business, etc. I can afford new and understand what these cars cost to maintain. I've grown up with these cars since I was a baby

Again, many people in general (most not on this forum) aren't educated on the costs to maintain these cars. I also look at it this way. If you're getting a car for 60k, that was 120k new, it has systems and technology made and built that was $120k new. So, when things break and need replaced, that $60k car is still a $120k piece of sophisticated machinery. And one of the safest/best riding vehicles you will ever drive. Once you are in a S class, it's hard to leave, unless constant problems plague your car. Even under warranty, multiple dealer tips take take time out of your day, and some want the no worry Honda/Toyota reliability.

Yes, I do agree $200 is a lot for wiper blades, but I'd like to see how well they work. It's cool they are optional, so 90% of other owners will only be paying $50 for blades
Well put. Also. 200$ spread across 12 months is nothing to talk about. If this is of financial concern one shouldn't have bought a 222 IMHO.
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to superangrypenguin For This Useful Post:
Carfan500 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 03:21 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
The reason I could easily buy just about any car I want including this one new is the same reason I balk at 200 wiper blades, I watch my money. Just because you can afford it does not make it worth the price. I too like a bargain and this is my second S class both purchased used but both looking and driving like new. I guess I like predictable spend, so I buy used and put it under the MB extended warranty. I get the cost of ownership, just pointing out the absurdity of some of the costs, like 200 wiper blades.

Cheers.
superpop is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to superpop For This Useful Post:
MBNUT1 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 03:34 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Jason B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 3,074
Thanked 85 Times in 71 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
The reason I could easily buy just about any car I want including this one new is the same reason I balk at 200 wiper blades, I watch my money. Just because you can afford it does not make it worth the price. I too like a bargain and this is my second S class both purchased used but both looking and driving like new. I guess I like predictable spend, so I buy used and put it under the MB extended warranty. I get the cost of ownership, just pointing out the absurdity of some of the costs, like 200 wiper blades.

Cheers.
I get it. Wipers for any car, are an inexpensive item. It's a general staple item that's inexpensive, like bread. Bread typically is $5.00 a loaf, but if you bought one without looking and see it's $20, most would be like DAMN! Now, if that bread is the best ever, it might be worth it.

Did you know your car had this option when you got it? How do they work? Some cars when you spray it goes all over. Do this leave less mess?

Last edited by Jason B; 03-11-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Jason B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:56 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
Thanks Jason, they do work incredibly well. I thought this was a standard feature on all MY2015 S550's, so no, I did not know I had this as an option or that it even was an option. It is nice not having water spray all over the place like my last one did. Oh well, I will order a new set just because I suspect these are the originals and living in Seattle we take our wipers seriously.
superpop is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superpop For This Useful Post:
Carfan500 (03-11-2018), Jason B (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 04:04 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,352
Thanked 74 Times in 70 Posts
W204
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
The reason I could easily buy just about any car I want including this one new is the same reason I balk at 200 wiper blades, I watch my money. Just because you can afford it does not make it worth the price. I too like a bargain and this is my second S class both purchased used but both looking and driving like new. I guess I like predictable spend, so I buy used and put it under the MB extended warranty. I get the cost of ownership, just pointing out the absurdity of some of the costs, like 200 wiper blades.

Cheers.
I get your point of view here too, but from my end, I'm thinking about the people who complain about their used $40,000 Rolls Royce and the $3,000 services that go along with it. I mean...what did they expect, right? Anyways, to me $200 isn't absurd. It's double, really. Someone upthread posted a source to get them for $140, and that's about double what I paid for my OEM wipers on my W204. Nothing absurd about that
superangrypenguin is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to superangrypenguin For This Useful Post:
Carfan500 (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 05:14 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alabama, USA
Posts: 277
Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts
2017 S63 AMG, Honda Accord, Genesis G90
I haven't looked at my blades but are the little holes that the water comes out in the blade arm and not in the blade itself? I thought we were just replacing the rubber insert. Is the $200 replacing the blade insert and the water hole assembly all at once?
MBS63AMG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:46 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Newcastle, WA
Posts: 488
Thanks: 0
Thanked 56 Times in 53 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic
I believe you cannot just replace the blades, rather you have to replace the whole assembly. I would probably not do just the blades anyway as I never had any luck with just doing the blades. I think the whole assembly is engineered with a rather short lifespan in mind.
superpop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:12 PM
  #22  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 20,151
Thanked 582 Times in 567 Posts
'12 CLSAMG
I saw this on the front page and knew it would be in the W222 forum
hyperion667 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyperion667 For This Useful Post:
superangrypenguin (03-11-2018)
Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,498
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
Thanks Jason, they do work incredibly well. I thought this was a standard feature on all MY2015 S550's, so no, I did not know I had this as an option or that it even was an option. It is nice not having water spray all over the place like my last one did. Oh well, I will order a new set just because I suspect these are the originals and living in Seattle we take our wipers seriously.
My guess is that that it is standard equipment for the W222
MBNUT1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:20 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,498
Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by superpop View Post
The reason I could easily buy just about any car I want including this one new is the same reason I balk at 200 wiper blades, I watch my money. Just because you can afford it does not make it worth the price. I too like a bargain and this is my second S class both purchased used but both looking and driving like new. I guess I like predictable spend, so I buy used and put it under the MB extended warranty. I get the cost of ownership, just pointing out the absurdity of some of the costs, like 200 wiper blades.

Cheers.
+1
I totally get this. Hell Warren Buffet was known to go to the store to get Pepsi rather than pay some jacked up price at a hotel he was staying in. Its all about understanding the definition of value proposition, which no doubt he is the authority.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 03-11-2018 at 06:28 PM.
MBNUT1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:52 PM
  #25  
Member
 
Rocketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 99
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
SL 500
When I purchased my new 2015 I had included the pre-paid maintenance program. The wiper blade replacement is included in that - every service interval. I marked my wiper blades before I took the car in for service and when I picked the car up I noticed the wiper blades had not been changed. I went to see the service adviser and she "oh no, those are not included in the prepaid service". Well I was prepared for this and showed her the MB site that describes the service and it does include the wiper blades. She called the service manager and he said the same thing. Once again I called his bluff and he admitted they do not normally change the blades because "they are so damn expensive". They then changed the blades and I was on my way - after I spoke to the MB dealer General Manager and explained why I would not be back for service again or to replace my vehicle which I normally do every 4 years. He made lots of sad noises as I left.
Rocketman is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocketman For This Useful Post:
hyperion667 (03-11-2018), superangrypenguin (03-11-2018), The Thomas J (03-12-2018)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 200 dollar wiper blades


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: