Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Kleemann, about the colder plugs.................

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Kleemann, about the colder plugs.................

I personally don't like the colder plugs. For some reason, at .7 mm gap, the engine hesistanted once awhile at bottom end but work wonder at top end. So today i decided, to re-gap the plugs to factory spec. which is 1.0 mm and it work wonder at bottom end but mis-fired ar top end...lol. I never has this kind of problem with the factory plugs. So now i'm using the factory plugs and the power is very smooth top and bottom end. I make an appointment to dyno my car tomorrow, so i'll see what if it ok to use the factory plugs. I think that you also told me that i don't have to use the colder plug, it part of the kind just to protect the engine for the worse case if i got bad gas, temp over 100 degree...etc, right?
Old 06-19-2002, 11:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kleemann, about the colder plugs.................

Originally posted by linh
I personally don't like the colder plugs. For some reason, at .7 mm gap, the engine hesistanted once awhile at bottom end but work wonder at top end. So today i decided, to re-gap the plugs to factory spec. which is 1.0 mm and it work wonder at bottom end but mis-fired ar top end...lol. I never has this kind of problem with the factory plugs. So now i'm using the factory plugs and the power is very smooth top and bottom end. I make an appointment to dyno my car tomorrow, so i'll see what if it ok to use the factory plugs. I think that you also told me that i don't have to use the colder plug, it part of the kind just to protect the engine for the worse case if i got bad gas, temp over 100 degree...etc, right?
Strange- I have never experience this problem with the F5DC plugs.

In any event- yes- use the factory plugs if you dont have problems. The F5DC's are recommended for prolonged high speed driving (autobahn) you really cant drive like that here so the standard plugs are fine.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:19 AM

ex-C32
Norm C32

Here linh:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf.../faq/index.asp

Norm
Old 07-06-2002, 10:50 PM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
What is most likely happening with the wide gap is flame blow-out. When you move that much air over spark plugs, you can blow off the flame.

We have seen it many times in the turbo cars.

I would split the difference and try.9mm ...