Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Supercharger or Turbo????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300HP TURBO GSXR
Supercharger or Turbo????

Is their or will their be a Supercharger or Turbo available for a 1997 SL500??? I really want one. If not is Nitrous an option???
Old 06-21-2002, 12:36 AM

ML 55, M3 Coupe
Hey man as far as turbos and superchargers go Kleemann has a supercharger probabaly for your car www.kleemann.dk . As far as nitrous goes don't put that stuff on your car man you wont have one it rips the engine apart in a few days. I had a 2001 CL and I put NOS on it and I blew the engine. Remenber your not running a honda so cheap hp isn't gonna cut it. Pay the money and have a supercharger on it.
Old 06-21-2002, 02:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
I must disagree with Streetburner,
Jay97 If you want to put NOS (Nitrous) go ahead, just make sure it is installed correctly and you have the right hardware for your engine to accept it.
you can blow your engine if you don't put timing retard module, windows switch, non platinum plugs, etc.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:09 PM

I have never been a fan of Nitrous. Definitely teh way to go is forced induction. Since no one really makes a turbo kit for the benz you gonna have to go with a supercharger.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:05 PM

ML 55, M3 Coupe
Originally posted by pocholin
I must disagree with Streetburner,
Jay97 If you want to put NOS (Nitrous) go ahead, just make sure it is installed correctly and you have the right hardware for your engine to accept it.
you can blow your engine if you don't put timing retard module, windows switch, non platinum plugs, etc.
Dude did you ever use nitrous???
And anither question they why don't the tuners use NOS for the reason that it rips apart the engine componets. Mercedes engines are so different when it comes to steel or aluminum they don't follow US or Japaness cars at all. Thats what makes them so damn good.
Look, I know for a fact no tuner recomends nitrous and anyways its like gas you have to refill the bottle everytime its empty where as a supercharger you never have to refill or worry about engine damage its just a bolt on basically.:p
Old 06-21-2002, 03:48 PM

nitrous is never good in anysort of way for an engine.

infact all forms of forced induction put strain on the engine...however superchargers and turbos will have minimal effects when responsibly installed by a tuner like Evo Sport
Old 06-21-2002, 06:46 PM

300HP TURBO GSXR
So where can I buy one of these Superchargers and how much? Who can I contact about one?
Old 06-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by streetburner

Dude did you ever use nitrous???
And anither question they why don't the tuners use NOS for the reason that it rips apart the engine componets. Mercedes engines are so different when it comes to steel or aluminum they don't follow US or Japaness cars at all. Thats what makes them so damn good.
Look, I know for a fact no tuner recomends nitrous and anyways its like gas you have to refill the bottle everytime its empty where as a supercharger you never have to refill or worry about engine damage its just a bolt on basically.:p
I have used NOS, I used it for two years on my 96 Impala SS, never blow my engine or transmission, but I was really carefull (as much as you can be shooting 150 hp), I used about 30 lbs a month, yes downside is you have to refill your bottle, keep it at the correct temperature, etc. If installed and used correctly NOS would have slightly more effects on your engine than a supercharger, reason: NOS shoots a steady amount of HP at all times, a supercharger gradualy increments HP.

I'm not going to argue that NOS is better than a supercharger, I'd go with supercharger myself if I had 17k to put in my car.

As far as tuners there is a very respectable American car tuner that offer NOS systems as upgrade MTI,
http://www.motorsporttech.com/ls1c5/index.html
Then again i don't know of any foreign car tuner that offers NOS, but I do know of a few people in this forum running NOS in their cars (I don't know how much they are shooting, this might be an important factor on their success) and so far they haven't blown their engines.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I'm thinking that blowing my C32 engine might end up being kinda expensive ...

And it's only a little V6!
Old 06-22-2002, 11:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by jswedberg
I'm thinking that blowing my C32 engine might end up being kinda expensive ...

And it's only a little V6!
Well, I wouldn't put NOS on the C32, that engine is already being pushed with the supercharger and like you said is only a V6.