Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Very specific chip dyno tuning questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very specific chip dyno tuning questions

Guys, I've truly searched the forum, but need help with 3 specific questions:

A shop here in South Africa will dyno tune my W209 CLK55 AMG 2004 to deliver around 10% more power and torque. To do this, they have to get the engine management chip "key" from Merc in Germany - apparently there are absolutely no tuning settings unless you access the chip. Question 1: is this bollocks or correct?

Now, to get the chip key they fired up a complex looking piece of software, opened a very hairy looking chip code sheet for the CLK55, and proceeded to edit the HEX code until the DEC code showed my car's serial number (ie he edited an existing chip code sheet I think). He then sent this template file off to Germany, and later called me with a quote from them. It's a whopping E1,000 apparently for the "key" alone, which he can then use to tune the car. My second question is am I being conned, or do Merc truly charge so much for what is surely the "key" to MY car?

Finally, am I correct in believeing that such tuning, for my specific climate and octane, will deliver a meaningful result? Or do I need a replacement chip like I've read about on this board - in which case I'm probably going to battle in SA.

Thanks a stack,
Chris

Last edited by Chris ZA; 06-15-2005 at 04:35 PM.