Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Green vs. K&N air filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Green vs. K&N air filters

I just put in an order for some green filters but I would like to know peoples impressions of both. Who's got what or what do you think of each?
Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
You might wanna check out THIS THREAD over at C32AMG / C55AMG
Old 07-25-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
What about non-TT CL600's

I can't find any K&Ns for it. Any recommendations?

-V
Old 07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Had red for 3 months and my original MAF wen kaput. Might have been coincidence. Others swear that the oil from the red kills the MAF. Switched to green and have been trouble free since. Maybe they were right.

Butt dyno can't tell the difference.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:25 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by Vendetta
I can't find any K&Ns for it. Any recommendations?

-V
There is one listed on K&N's site, no?

Bob Brady at renntech said the oil used in them was damaging the airflow sensors of the CL and they discontinued it.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:25 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Had red for 3 months and my original MAF wen kaput. Might have been coincidence. Others swear that the oil from the red kills the MAF. Switched to green and have been trouble free since. Maybe they were right.

Butt dyno can't tell the difference.
Green doesn't use oil? whats the difference?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:27 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
There is one listed on K&N's site, no?

Bob Brady at renntech said the oil used in them was damaging the airflow sensors of the CL and they discontinued it.
I'm cool with Greens if they're available... can't find them on Evosport, though.

-V
Old 07-26-2005, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Had K&N - Check Engine light was acting like the inside of my car was a disco. Threw K&N in the nearest trash can - disco's closed.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but there have been more than a few threads in this forum where people have claimed that K&N screws with MAF.

I'd look at it this way - you're probably going to get some improvement over stock with either Green or K&N - the bigger difference will be between stock vs. aftermarket, not between Green vs. K&N. Why risk the MAF & CEL issues? Go Green.

Of course - I have absolutely no idea if Green uses "oil" like K&N so I might just be talkin' in a great big circle here......

I think "coolcarski" has used/uses Greens.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Green also uses oil. Renntech pointed me in the direction of green citing the same MAF issues as you all have. They also said there is only a couple hp difference if any. The dealer for the green said it flows 15% more air than K&N. Anyways, I placed an order for the green yesterday and I'll see what happens.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Green also uses oil. Renntech pointed me in the direction of green citing the same MAF issues as you all have. They also said there is only a couple hp difference if any. The dealer for the green said it flows 15% more air than K&N. Anyways, I placed an order for the green yesterday and I'll see what happens.
I am confused. You are saying Renntech pointed you in the direction of the green, citing the same issues? They said "use green and you will have the same issues"?!! You are saying it uses oil too, yet you are using it anyway? what am I not understanding?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Maybe I worded it wrong. Renntech told me to get green because K&N had the issues that have been previously cited. Green does use oil but apparently theirs doesnt F up the MAF. Does it make sense now?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 PM

NSX
Maybe I worded it wrong. Renntech told me to get green because K&N had the issues that have been previously cited. Green does use oil but apparently theirs doesnt F up the MAF. Does it make sense now?
hmmmm.... sounds funny to me because you'd think oil is oil and it either f's up the MAF or it doesn't. Sounds like they don't know for sure...

I'd hate to ask how much a new MAF is for a CL600. For me its the MB filter until I know for sure. Let us know how yours works out please.

Are you happy with the Eisenmann? I was thinking of getting the sport.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:51 PM

SL65 AMG
I'd hate to ask how much a new MAF is for a CL600...
Well I hate to tell ya. :p

It's $270 for the part itself, and $189 to cover the 1.8 hours it took to diagnose and swap out old with the new one.

-V
Old 07-26-2005, 07:18 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Well I hate to tell ya. :p

It's $270 for the part itself, and $189 to cover the 1.8 hours it took to diagnose and swap out old with the new one.

-V
I thought it would be like $2700.... that's how anything else is on that car! Did you have to pay or was it warranty? get that Green filter and let me know if you need a new one again in another 5000 miles.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:34 PM

SL65 AMG
I thought it would be like $2700.... that's how anything else is on that car! Did you have to pay or was it warranty? get that Green filter and let me know if you need a new one again in another 5000 miles.
Warranty all the way. But I don't think there's a clause in there that lets me start a collection of failed MAFs.

Won't stop me from tryin' though! I can't find ANY aftermarket air filters for the CL600. At least not K&N or Green.

-V
Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I LOVE the eisenmann exhaust. I definitely recommend it. Sounds real mean. I only have a 430 and it sounds almost like a modded mustang or camaro but cleaner. I would like to hear what a 600 sounds like.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:30 PM

NSX
I LOVE the eisenmann exhaust. I definitely recommend it. Sounds real mean. I only have a 430 and it sounds almost like a modded mustang or camaro but cleaner. I would like to hear what a 600 sounds like.
well... maybe I will post an mp3 file after I make a recording on mine.... the V12 already sounds nice at high RPM's with that super quiet stock exhaust I am sure it will sing with the Eisen. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I am now GREEN! Cant really compare to stock cuz my filter looked a little dirty, plus I had ITG filters anyway. Feels alot better. Nothing spectacular, but theres definitely a difference. Smoother, and the tires actually break loose easier than before. Maybe its just the placebo effect. I'll give you guys an update at 5k miles.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I am now GREEN! Cant really compare to stock cuz my filter looked a little dirty, plus I had ITG filters anyway. Feels alot better. Nothing spectacular, but theres definitely a difference. Smoother, and the tires actually break loose easier than before. Maybe its just the placebo effect. I'll give you guys an update at 5k miles.
Did they come "pre-oiled" from the factory? If they did, did you do anything special ( let them sit out for an hour etc. ) before installing them ?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
They came preoiled. Did nothing special, just say the box in front of my door, tore it open and put them in. The biggest thing I noticed was that even though they are preoiled, they have very little oil. It doesnt even look wet. I remember the K&N's had oil all over the bag and everything. This had no oil on the bag at all. Maybe thats the secret, use low amounts of oil.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
They came preoiled. Did nothing special, just say the box in front of my door, tore it open and put them in. The biggest thing I noticed was that even though they are preoiled, they have very little oil. It doesnt even look wet. I remember the K&N's had oil all over the bag and everything. This had no oil on the bag at all. Maybe thats the secret, use low amounts of oil.
Thanx for the info.Have you had any MAF sensor problems with your car? I am curious to see if the MAF sensor issue with our cars is a mileage issue or a filter issue. The reason I say this is my C43 has 56k on it and the "CEL" has come on and I know what it is. I have K&N filters in my car and it seems that from looking around the various forums that between 50k-65k that some of the MAF problems are occuring.That being the case - if you are changing your filters at say 48k and you run them for say 5-6k and you get a "CEL" issue - is it the filters fault or is it a mileage issue ? Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:56 PM

2002 CLK 55 AMG
Damn wish I would have known before I bought my K&N's. I still haven't installed them yet.

Do you guys think that if I leave them out in the sun for a day or two that it would dry out the oil a bit before I install them?

What do you think? My warrenty is up in August.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Originally Posted by SFBAYCLK55AMG
Do you guys think that if I leave them out in the sun for a day or two that it would dry out the oil a bit before I install them?
Thing is, how would you know when you've "baked off" enough oil to solve the MAF problem but not so much of the oil that the filter becomes unable to perform properly. I mean isn't the oil an integral part of the filtration process on K&N's??
Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
The oil is critical for filtration. I said the excess oil MAY be causing the problems, its just a theory that I made up. I wouldnt put it out in the sun. K&N and green might use different oils, so maybe thats why green uses less of it. K&N may require that much oil to operate properly. If the filter is dripping oil wipe it up before you put it in (duh). I have changed my MAF TWICE in the past year and a half. Good thing is that if you buy the MAF from mercedes its warrantied for a year so the second time was free. Anyway, I never used K&N's, it was stock for about a month, then went rennetch intake w/ ITG filters, went back to stock (to see the power difference), then ITG filters again. I believe there is a issue with the MAF itself, the oil just adds to the problem. Keep in mind ITG filters have no oil in them, the instructions for cleaning them is vacuum and put them back in. They look like a sponge, literally. If any local people need stock air filters have a pair i'll sell for 10 bucks. I only had them in the car for one run and it felt slower so I took them back out. I guess thats all for now.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Greens

Who sells greens and can I get them for a '350?

I have a C350 on order and I know that I may have to wait until the C350 is around for a while to get filters. But since the C350 motor is the same as what's in the E350 shouldn't the filter be the same?

I guess, unless MB changed up the air intake to make it fit into a C.

Any suggestions on a supplier?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Green vs. K&N air filters