Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

California cracking down on mods...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars
you guys are making good points, but what confuses teh F*ck out of me is how the really loud bikers are not required to have any silencer or muffler on thoz things. I swear when they are trying to get your attention you have to stop thinking for 3 minutes to prevent brain damage. I hate ricer exhausts and lifted truck cool former football player exhausts too, they serve little purpose other than to make a bunch of noise and I'm tired of waking up to these party favors in the middle of the night @ my apartment, it's just incredibly annoying because there's no reason for them to be so loud I hope they get extinct real soon. I've been pulled over for my tail lights being tinted a few times and ticketed for them once, it really depends on the cop. One cop questioned me as to what I had done to my car I told him it was stock then he shined his light on my boost gauge and was like is that stock? he let me go w/out any ticket even though he got me speeding, drifting, running a stop sign not to mention the mods on the car. I volounteered to show him the engine bay and it looked a little dirty but nothing stuck out so he let me go with a warning. I got really lucky with that cop but I guess he's more worried about the ricers, i still gotta be careful tho
Old 10-05-2005, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by tedypedy
you guys are making good points, but what confuses teh F*ck out of me is how the really loud bikers are not required to have any silencer or muffler on thoz things. I swear when they are trying to get your attention you have to stop thinking for 3 minutes to prevent brain damage. I hate ricer exhausts and lifted truck cool former football player exhausts too, they serve little purpose other than to make a bunch of noise and I'm tired of waking up to these party favors in the middle of the night @ my apartment, it's just incredibly annoying because there's no reason for them to be so loud I hope they get extinct real soon. I've been pulled over for my tail lights being tinted a few times and ticketed for them once, it really depends on the cop. One cop questioned me as to what I had done to my car I told him it was stock then he shined his light on my boost gauge and was like is that stock? he let me go w/out any ticket even though he got me speeding, drifting, running a stop sign not to mention the mods on the car. I volounteered to show him the engine bay and it looked a little dirty but nothing stuck out so he let me go with a warning. I got really lucky with that cop but I guess he's more worried about the ricers, i still gotta be careful tho
Well now, isn't that the kettle calling the pot black? You are complaining about the guys on bikes making too much noise with their open pipes and you are the one endangering the rest of us by "speeding, drifting, running a stop..."

You are exactly the type of person that made this a law in the first place. Grow up.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:28 AM

Cars
well I figured I didn't need to clarify the technicalities of my situation to avoid hijacking this thread but due to presumptuous jerk offs like you I guess I should be a little more clear. I was accused of the above but as I mentioned I didn't get a ticket for any of those things, the cop was trying to get me to admit I was speeding/running a stop etc. All I did was accelerate faster than normal from a stop and since the officer was in an suv it took him a while to catch up and I was already around the corner and past a stop sign, if I was actually caught doing any of the above I'm pretty sure I'd be smacked with a few citations, and impounded. I just explained to him that I sometimes accelerate quickly to the speed limit and he saw I made no error. Also me complaining about annoyingly loud exhausts in an apartment complex clearly leaves out the possibility of these people speeding, due to speed bumps and the like so I don't see the connection of how I supposedly made this law. I think people like you made this law cause clearly your assy remarks of "pay the price and stop your whining" are the type of attitudes that got this law written up and passed acting like you don't ever speed is like acting like your Sh*t dont stink and I beleive people buy AMG's cause they're performance car's otherwise you'd be driving a 70's turbo diesel benz of some kind and stay in the slow lane on the freeway, why pay for extra hp if you never use it?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
well I figured I didn't need to clarify the technicalities of my situation to avoid hijacking this thread but due to presumptuous jerk offs like you I guess I should be a little more clear. I was accused of the above but as I mentioned I didn't get a ticket for any of those things, the cop was trying to get me to admit I was speeding/running a stop etc. All I did was accelerate faster than normal from a stop and since the officer was in an suv it took him a while to catch up and I was already around the corner and past a stop sign, if I was actually caught doing any of the above I'm pretty sure I'd be smacked with a few citations, and impounded. I just explained to him that I sometimes accelerate quickly to the speed limit and he saw I made no error. Also me complaining about annoyingly loud exhausts in an apartment complex clearly leaves out the possibility of these people speeding, due to speed bumps and the like so I don't see the connection of how I supposedly made this law. I think people like you made this law cause clearly your assy remarks of "pay the price and stop your whining" are the type of attitudes that got this law written up and passed acting like you don't ever speed is like acting like your Sh*t dont stink and I beleive people buy AMG's cause they're performance car's otherwise you'd be driving a 70's turbo diesel benz of some kind and stay in the slow lane on the freeway, why pay for extra hp if you never use it?

Again, grow up. You are the one who said "even though he got me speeding, drifting, running a stop sign not to mention the mods on the car." There is no need for me to presume anything when you put it so succinctly.

As for the rest of your argument, you are the one presuming quie a bit. Grow up. Did I say that already?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Sorry for this stupid question!

Is it illegal to swap an E55 motor into a V6 E320 in California? :p

Or, is there some way to do this legally?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
No. Perfectly legal.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
It's good to see more of my money (Fed. tax dollars) going to this type of enforcement...it's good to see where the priorities lie.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"..... he let me go w/out any ticket even though he got me speeding, drifting, running a stop sign not to mention the mods on the car. I volounteered to show him the engine bay and it looked a little dirty but nothing stuck out so he let me go with a warning. I got really lucky with that cop but I guess he's more worried about the ricers, i still gotta be careful tho..."
I don't have a problem with you doing any of your mods..heck I have an 'obnoxious' Harley. But when you sit there and get caught speeding, drifting and running a stop sign...you really are bringing attention to yourself and those who modify their vehicles in like manner. Modifying your car is not the dangerous part, it's your wreckless driving! It's an indefensible position...consider yourself lucky you got let off with a warning.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Again, grow up. You are the one who said "even though he got me speeding, drifting, running a stop sign not to mention the mods on the car." There is no need for me to presume anything when you put it so succinctly.

As for the rest of your argument, you are the one presuming quie a bit. Grow up. Did I say that already?
Succinctly????? in my line of work that's called a confession!!!

Last edited by StapleGun; 11-02-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by StapleGun
Succintly????? in my line of work that's called a confession!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
This Chris Rock video aplies to ALL people, not just blacks.

VIDEO
Old 11-02-2005, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally Posted by E55AMG99
No. Perfectly legal.
How about smog check?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Ben'z
How about smog check?
You need to obtain the smog info sticker that came with the engine. It is usually on the radiator support. As long as the engine is as new or newer than the the vehicle and you aren't mixing weight ratings (HD engine in passenger car) you should be OK. Engine swaps within the same manufacturer and year are a no brainer.

If you need to go to a referee station ($50 inspection) they will give you oe of these stickers so you can go to any smog station for inspection every 2 years.

Go here for more info.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Thank you very much!