Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

finally got a new MAS ... why did I wait so long?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
finally got a new MAS ... why did I wait so long?!

Thought I'd share ... not exactly a "performance upgrade", more of a "repair". Certainly affects performance however. As coolcarlskiC43 has been professing to so many when their car "isn't all that anymore"...

Car had started stalling on start-up; could take 2 to 10 starts to get it to remain running on cold start... then if I'd come to a red light or stop sign within a minute or two after cold start, would stall ... and would buck for much longer then that. Plud general slughishness always... But would take off well enough if I'd go to 1/3 throttle or more. ...odd.

Then I had a really bad day on a trip into NYC a few weeks ago where it stalled a few times on the ride in ; it used to only stall when cold. And the "check engine" light came on on one of them ; and there was one episode where the car just stayed in 2nd and wouldn't upshift ... after about 30 seconds it finally did.

So I called the guy who did my engine swap. He has several MAS controls on hand at all time. Was supposed to meet-up last Saturday but he got stuck in Brooklyn. So I had to wait until today.

He revs the engine, and there's a loud sucking sound, almost a stall, then the engine revs up. He remembers right after the engine swap, how my car would immediately rev up solidly, with no hesitation at all.

He hooks up the Star Diagnosis and sees there's an O2 sensor code, and low and behold a MAS code. But upon going through the Star Diagnosis screens, sees the MAS is "within spec" however. Only 0.93ms adaptation correction I believe it was called (within spec is below 1.34ms or something like that). There are some other screens that all seem within spec. But there's "another trick" he can do. When he goes to view the air/fuel I'm idling @ 12 Kg/hr (the weigt of fuel per hour) ... he says it should be @ 16 Kg/hr. And when he revs the engine it barely rises; never see it above 100Kg/hr. (with a huge delay, almost stall, when reving the engine).

Put the new MAS in, and upon reving the engine, I see values like 658Kg/hr ... woa! He told me to take it for a ride, and on man, why did I wait so long! Immediate response when I touch the peddle (we kept it in RON93). I can not start w/o spinning the tires (was wet). Most noticible was responsiveness off idle, between 1K - 3K rpm. YA! When I'm driving home and traffic slows to almost a stop in the middle lane I'm in, I gun it to change to the right lane ... and the tires =light up=! Best of all -- some of you might have read me complaining about how my car has 325 ft-lb to the wheels @ mid-4Krpm, but about 225 ftl-lb @ redline (on club202.com) -- the car pulls noticably stronger up to shifts @ redline. I gotta re-dyno, but it seems like I should be seeing 250 ft-lbs @ redline to the rear wheels.

Yes Carl ... I was listening ... but I should have acted sooner! :p

Last edited by c55m8o; 09-17-2005 at 06:23 PM.