Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Catalytic Converter going Bust! Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter going Bust! Help!

Im beginning to hear a familiar rattle below the car and if my memory serves, its the cat converter again...About the right time though, coz I was toying with the idea of removing it all together. A friend suggested putting in a high flow converter instead of removing it coz it would cause the check engine light to come on.
Has anyone done any of the above? Any experience with either a complete removal or a with a high flow cat? Any feedback would help, thanks.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
Well if you remove the cat then a couple different things will happen. The check engine light/message will come on shortly, the exhaust fumes will smell like rotten eggs, and itll be extremly hard to get an emission test completed(if you live in the states). I would get a high flow cat. Itll be alot easier and will last longer if you buy one that is high quality. Magnaflow makes a decent cheap highflow cat. In general you get what you pay for with high flow cats.
Cheaper ones have a lower % of "precious metals".Hope this helps.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the reply! I've already emptied out both the converters (rear ones). I gotta say, no warning lights, not much louder, lower rumble for sure. Maybe its in my head, but I feel a smoother take off. Apparently, the warning lights go off only if I tried to do the same for the front converters. Am very happy with my decision, plus I don't ever have to hear that rattle again.