Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 05:34 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C36 AMG
Engine

COULD I RUN NITROUS W/O HURTING THE CAR IN ANY WAY ???
Old 07-24-2002, 10:09 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Running with nitrous is always a risk. A small mistake can cost you an engine, if not more.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:51 PM

Depends, change ur transmission first because the stock transmission can't handle a NOS boost very well.
Use a wet nitrous system, it's a bit better for the car cuz it lubes the engine before boost.
Old 07-26-2002, 04:28 AM
Almost a Member!

C36 AMG
ENGINE

WELL PEOPLE LOOK I AM NEW TO THIS MB WORLD BECAUSE I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR. I MEAN I HAD MY SHARE OF IMPORTS FROM A CIVIC TO AN RX7 ALSO AN ACURA RSX WELL I USED TO TUNE THESE CARS EXCEPT THE RSX WHICH LASTED WITH ME FOR ABOUT 3 WEEKS( I WRECKED IT). BUT I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME ADVICE AND IDEAS OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO YOUR CAR OR SOME OPTIONS THAT ARE AVAILABLE TO CUSTOMIZE MY CAR I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW OF SOME THINGS THAT NY OF YOU HAVE DONE TO YOUR MB. THANK YOU

MARTIN
Old 08-06-2002, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Originally posted by azn_dgn
Depends, change ur transmission first because the stock transmission can't handle a NOS boost very well.
Use a wet nitrous system, it's a bit better for the car cuz it lubes the engine before boost.
Que?

Please explain your statement.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Re: Engine

Originally posted by C36AMGBENZ
COULD I RUN NITROUS W/O HURTING THE CAR IN ANY WAY ???
Nitrous is a nasty thing if not treated with respect. That said, it's a great way to add a lot of HP in a relatively simple, bolt on package.

A single fogger nozzle in front of the throttle body is generally the easiest way to get the nitrous into the motor. I run a wet kit on one of my cars (not my Benzo ) and it is setup very safely. I have 3-4 safety items in place so that the nitrous only sprays when all conditions are met, I retard the timing 2 deg for every 50hp I spray and I run race gas (just 104 unleaded) when I spray.

I don't know of any MB specific kits, but you could probably use an NX or NOS universal EFI wet kit on your MB. It will cost about $1200 to do the kit correctly (base kit, safety switches, extra wiring, bottle heater, NHRA blowdown and nitrous purge).

A friend of mine has a decent 'New to nitrous' article on his website here - http://www.go-fast.org/z28/new_to_nitrous.html

Hope that helps!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Just do it right and you should be right, by now you should know that NOS is going to take a toll on your engine's longevity, but it should be fine because you are having fun (todo por servir se acaba). I used NOS on my 96 Impala SS for 2 years with out a mechanical problem (engine and transmission wise), study your subject and do it
Old 08-07-2002, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Martin,

Do not put Nitrous in your Benz, all it will do is **** it up later on in it's life, another car maybe, but you got a Benz. There are plenty of places to get mods done on your car here in Miami!
Old 08-07-2002, 10:10 PM
Almost a Member!

C36 AMG
ALRIGHT I READ ALL YOUR REPLYS AND THANK YOU TO ALL THE TRUTH IS THAT YOU KNOW I WANT A LITTLE MORE KICK TO MY CAR I MEAN ITS FAST AND ALL BUT EVERY OTHER OPTION IS MAD MONEY LIKE THE SUPERCHARER PSS THATS TOO MUCH MONEY I MEAN IM NOT TRYING TO SPEND 14,000 LIKE THAT WELL THANK YOU ANYWAYS AND I PROBABLY WILL PUT IT ON JUST THE FACT THAT I STILL HAVE WARRANTY.
Old 08-08-2002, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NO2 is the way to go. Low cost, power only when you need it. It's perfect. Make sure you do a wet system so you don't run the car too lean and put an a/f ratio guage in to make sure you don't run leaner than about 13:1. That's the #1 killer of most mods, people don't take that into consideration. Check some of the Mustang or ricer magazines for kits. They typically run about $500-600 and look fairly easy to install. You don't need to start off with anything fancy like bottle heaters. In case you don't know, a dry system is NO2 only, a wet system introduces additional fuel mist together with the NO2 to enrichen the mixture. Also these kits come with needles to limit the amount of NO2 for different degrees of boost. Start off small and work your way up.

I wouldn't worry too much if the motor or tranny can handle the power as long as you keep the a/f ratio in check. Think of the expensive S/C kits that add 100hp+ all the time.
Old 08-08-2002, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
You don't need to start off with anything fancy like bottle heaters.

I disagree. There is a HUGE difference in power when comparing a nitrous bottle at 750psi and 950-1000psi. The only way to get the power out of the nitrous shot is by keeping the bottle at the proper temperature.

When it's 90 deg outside, it's not a big deal, but on a mild day you won't have enough bottle pressure. On a really hot day, you'll probably have to ice down the bottle to bring the pressure to reasonable levels. I've seen pressures so high (1500psi+) that my purge solenoid locks closed.

IMO, if you're going to do it, do it right from the start. You should buy:

- base nitrous kit
- aftermarket ignition box (MSD digital series is nice)
- timing retard box (MSD digital series has it built in)
- fuel pressure safety switch
- wot switch
- rpm window switch
- bottle heater
- blowdown
- purge
Old 08-08-2002, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You forgot the 100 octane unleaded.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:19 PM

ML 55, M3 Coupe
ALRIGHT I READ ALL YOUR REPLYS AND THANK YOU TO ALL THE TRUTH IS THAT YOU KNOW I WANT A LITTLE MORE KICK TO MY CAR I MEAN ITS FAST AND ALL BUT EVERY OTHER OPTION IS MAD MONEY LIKE THE SUPERCHARER PSS THATS TOO MUCH MONEY I MEAN IM NOT TRYING TO SPEND 14,000 LIKE THAT WELL THANK YOU ANYWAYS AND I PROBABLY WILL PUT IT ON JUST THE FACT THAT I STILL HAVE WARRANTY.
AHHHH man hold up, as soon as you put that junky NOS on your benz's engine you automatically void your warranty from Mercedes because, thats not gonna be normal wear and tear on the engine and their probably not just going to give you a new engine just like that a new benz engine must be at least 10 grand if not more and you'll have to pay it along with the labor which will be though the roof.......
Old 08-08-2002, 11:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
ohh, but if you bust the engine you don't need to tell them you had NOS, besides it is unlikely that you will blow it if you do it right and only shoot 100 HP.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:37 PM

ML 55, M3 Coupe
Anything over 75psi of NOS you should upgrade the whole engine to racing componets because, many factory parts including mercedes engines parts were never ment to handle that much power in one upgrade with NOS or tuning. Thats why tuners are very careful when they upgrade you car for you. They take in to detail that you will be driving you car everyday and racing. Also, Mercedes dealer techs know everything that probably would blow an engine, one of my benz dealer's techs use to work for a tuning shop and he knew how I ran and what I used my ML55 for, simply because of his experience.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:33 AM
Almost a Member!

C36 AMG
Originally posted by streetburner

AHHHH man hold up, as soon as you put that junky NOS on your benz's engine you automatically void your warranty from Mercedes because, thats not gonna be normal wear and tear on the engine and their probably not just going to give you a new engine just like that a new benz engine must be at least 10 grand if not more and you'll have to pay it along with the labor which will be though the roof.......
YEA BUT THEY WONT KNOW THAT I USED NOS ON IT BECAUSE OF COURSE I WILL TAKE IT OUT IF ANYTHING HAPPEND TO IT
Old 08-10-2002, 08:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC

YEA BUT THEY WONT KNOW THAT I USED NOS ON IT BECAUSE OF COURSE I WILL TAKE IT OUT IF ANYTHING HAPPEND TO IT
That's the way to do it!
Old 08-15-2002, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
They'll know you did if they see melted piston tops, broken con rods, blown head gaskets, broken rings, etc.. Nitros is very dangerous to say the least. If you've got a big old V8, fine, but a MB engine no way.

PS. DON'T YELL
Old 08-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by mdp c230k
They'll know you did if they see melted piston tops, broken con rods, blown head gaskets, broken rings, etc.
You can always say "I was driving down the freeway when kaboom! I don't know what happened, and don't change your story

I really don't know if this would work, if someone puts NOS on their cars they should do it responsibly and if done right it shouldn't be hazardous, once again let me remind you i had NOS on a 350 V8 for 2 years and never busted the engine (not even a tranny)
Old 08-16-2002, 01:58 AM

300HP TURBO GSXR
My suggestion is do the exhaust, air filters,chip, gear ratio change and if your not happy with the change in performance go with the NX nitrous system part#20923. 50- 75hp kit. Personally I've been thinking about putting the kit in my SL500 but I'm going to wait until I do the gears. I've already done the exhaust and filters and I can kill Camaros, Mustangs and BMW 3 and 5 series on the highway. Not out of the whole though thus the gear change. Hope this helps.