Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Manual Trans Conversion W140 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 S500 Coupe
Manual Trans Conversion W140 Coupe

Lets face it the W140 coupes weren't the most practical cars to drive. They serve one purpose, to criuse around in while looking cool. So how badass would it be to put a T56 or similar trans in it while also modding the engine of course for more performance. I love the way my car pulls off the line and on the freeway but it would be so much more fun if the thing had a manual trans in it. Anyone ever attempt such a conversion. I've driven a 7.3 Renntech SL 600 and although the car was stupid fast I felt like it needed a manual trans to complete the package. The same goes for all the new AMG supercharged cars. I just wish I had the time to do the conversion my self........
Old 08-07-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CharlesStyncOB
I too agree a 6 speed will be sweet in my W140 coupe!

I have seen pictures of custom cut scatershields mated to a getrag (bmw 260 or 265) transmission, I am sure if you were to look around the web you will find them, I may have one or two saved on my system, i ll take a look and if they re there i ll post them.
The way they had accomplished this was to cut the section that houses the clutch and cylinder and then bolt it on and then weld it to the 5 speed manual, as far as the T56/ZF variants I have yet to see one, but i m sure it is possible!

The M-119 is an awesome motor and deserves to have a stick shift behind it, but since these cars were made for cruising, I guess no one attempted to sale the idea of a stick shift to a banker type!

There was even a count as to how many folks will be interested in such a device so that they can make a few and split the cost, but I guess it never saw the light of day, otherwise we would have seen something new by now!

Good luck