Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

M104 Turbocharging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
M104 Turbocharging

hey guys here's another idea that crossed my mind lately

as many of you have heard that Mosselman offer a twin-turbo kit for the M104 Inline 6 engines found on many early W210s (97 to be specific) but the premium they are charging makes it a painful investment for anyone whose seeking to force induce their M104 engines.

So after reading this thread I was studying the idea of adding a single Garret t3 super 60 turbo with 10psi of boost. Some of the components can be custom-built through the local CnC shops over here. I was also told that straight-sixes are the easiest engines to turbo

My questions are what is the expected output of a 10psi turbo on a car like mines? Can I find an aftermarket intercooler for the W210? How hard is it to install a turbo onto a car like mines? And what would be the price breakdown of getting a turbo job done?

Oh and if anyone has links to turbocharging resources plz lemme kno so I can get the idea of how the whole shebang works

thanks in advance to those who reply
Old 11-01-2006, 10:29 AM

W210 E320
Bump..................................
Old 11-24-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
If you got the w124 section of the forum and do a search you will find info on turbo-ing a M104 engine. I too am looking a doing a custom turbo set up.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:41 PM

1989 Turbo Technics AMG 300CE 3.6
The M104 has a high compression ratio which means if you want 10psi of boost you will need to:
A) Use custom pistons
B) Use shorter rods (you might be able to buy these cheaply from Turbo Technics)
C) Use an aftermarket computer to control timing.
D) Use racing fuel every time you drive it.
Without doing any of above I think it will start pinging at 7-8psi.

Contact john.pearson@mercedes-benzofbeaconsfield.co.uk
These guys sold the dealer-delivered Turbo Technics M103 & M104 conversions in the UK.
Last I heard they were clearing out old stock so you might be able to pick up what you need for a lot less than a Mosselman kit.
Good luck!
Old 12-24-2006, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ReZzZ320
hey guys here's another idea that crossed my mind lately

as many of you have heard that Mosselman offer a twin-turbo kit for the M104 Inline 6 engines found on many early W210s (97 to be specific) but the premium they are charging makes it a painful investment for anyone whose seeking to force induce their M104 engines.

So after reading this thread I was studying the idea of adding a single Garret t3 super 60 turbo with 10psi of boost. Some of the components can be custom-built through the local CnC shops over here. I was also told that straight-sixes are the easiest engines to turbo

My questions are what is the expected output of a 10psi turbo on a car like mines? Can I find an aftermarket intercooler for the W210? How hard is it to install a turbo onto a car like mines? And what would be the price breakdown of getting a turbo job done?

Oh and if anyone has links to turbocharging resources plz lemme kno so I can get the idea of how the whole shebang works

thanks in advance to those who reply
10psi is no problem at all if you have good fuel and ignition map.
Then you need aftermarket injection+ignition
Cheapest you can find Megasquirt II v3,0 and it works fine.
Good aftermarket intercooler you can find on ebay. Depens how much do you need your AC? Caurse otherwise you get take away AC cooler and put intercooler of the front of watercooler. 300x300x76 core and 480mm from pipe to pipe.

You can see the same intercooler on my w124
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

We've been installing Mosselman systems for many years. It is probably the most efficient, reliable, and simplest system you can buy off the shelf. We had toy around duplicating and re-engineering as well. At the end of the day, all the time spend does not pay-off. You would rather unjoy driving then fussing around.

There is always a trade-off with time and experience over cost.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
so how much for the mosselman turbokit for the m104 motor? can i instal it my self, i know what i'm doing and i have a lift avaiable.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned

It is about $10,000 Canadian.