Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

General ECU Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 ML63
General ECU Tuning Questions

I have a couple questions about the ECU tuning packages available for Mercedes.

1. Everybody is talking about 'flashing' or reprogramming the stock ECU to complete the mod. I understand that the dealer also tends to frequently flash the ECU during standard service. Will a modded ECU be overwritten during typical dealer service? Is there a way to prevent this? If the Merc mechanics are anything like the Audi mechanics, there is no way I'd trust the dealer to not accidentally overwrite the mod.

2. On my Audi, I have a very cool chip that allows me to switch between stock and one of several mod programs. I can have a stock mode, a valet mode (choked off power), a regular 91 Oct tune, and a racing fuel tune, and more; all on the same chip, selectable from inside the car, while running. I found this switchable mode to be very useful, primarily to return the ECU programming to stock for warranty maintenance and for high octane codes for race day. Do any of the chip tuners offer similar functionality for the Merc?

Obviously, specific tuning packages will depend on the engine/model. I'm assuming that the functionality listed above is more contingent on the tuner.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Let's see if I can answer your questions:

1. Once in a great while, one of our ECU's will be overwritten by the dealer. This can happen during services and/or recalls. In my personal SL55, in the 4 yrs that I have had it, they have only reflashed it once.

We have a policy with our clients that if they get reflashed back to stock, we will redo their ECU the first time at no charge. Any subsequest reflashes will cost $250.

2. We have a product for Audi that makes the tuning switchable, but the way the technology that is currently available, we can't do that w/MB/AMG cars.....yet. But we are working on it!

We are currently able to do specific tuning for MB/AMG when requested.....ie. diiferent fuels, etc

I hope that helps you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:45 PM

2010 ML63
Thanks for the feedback!

I've got a deposit on a C63 and can't wait to take delivery (and start tuning it)!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by egtgrant
Thanks for the feedback!

I've got a deposit on a C63 and can't wait to take delivery (and start tuning it)!

We are ready for you!! When do you take delivery?
Old 09-30-2007, 07:12 PM

2010 ML63
Presumably, the car will arrive in April. I'm told by my dealer that I have their first allocation.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by egtgrant
Presumably, the car will arrive in April. I'm told by my dealer that I have their first allocation.
Very cool!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:14 AM

2008 E350 4matic
Anything for the C350? What kind of gains can I expect?
Old 10-05-2007, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NewMrBenz
Anything for the C350? What kind of gains can I expect?
We have been getting 8-10% icreases in hp/torque. Which equates to ~25hp/25lb ft.

What you will really feel is improved throttle response, a broadening of the power band (especially in the heart of the rev range).....and we will raise or remove your speed limiter (your choice). It will make the car much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 PM

just bought sl 55 amg
brabus

hey i own a brabus cls 500 with a ecu upgrade k and n filters lowering kit and upgraded mufflers i am just wondering if someone could ballpark the hp and tourqe on it and i have ben wondering with the ecu does it take the govenor off or what like am i able to go past the governed speed
Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by brabus101
hey i own a brabus cls 500 with a ecu upgrade k and n filters lowering kit and upgraded mufflers i am just wondering if someone could ballpark the hp and tourqe on it and i have ben wondering with the ecu does it take the govenor off or what like am i able to go past the governed speed
I think that Brabus optionally raises or removes your limiter (we do the same). I believe that Brabus gives around a 20hp increase for their ECU tuning on the 500 engine.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
I'm looking forward to testing the C63's soon. We have a few weeks of development lined up.