Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

K&N effects on gas mileage and MAF damage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 black series
4 years ago I bought brand new pair of K&N's for my Brabus engined CL500 & I noticed a mileage drop & found they had "coked" my MASensor = $291 - I installed myself. SO Be Careful
Old 12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by $tallion
CRC Cleaner for the MAF thats what the shops use spray it off every few months for clear results
Thats what I just did to my MAF while i was installiing the K&N filters.

Andy
Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cl55 amg Renntech air box w/ K&N's LET 180 pulley & Tune, HE & Pump, 3'' Exhaust res/cat delete
you can get the k&n's from auto zone for 37 each
Old 12-04-2009, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by silvercl55
you can get the k&n's from auto zone for 37 each
for your car ?

Andy
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sold - CLK500
i just spoke to cory at renntech.. and yes dont try to correct me.. there is a cory at kleemann too. he told me to avoid k&n's they are not designed for mercedes. The oil leaks from the filters onto the maf and causes issues.

however, he did recommend green filters which i will be getting very soon along with a renntech airbox
Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by mk4mike
i just spoke to cory at renntech.. and yes dont try to correct me.. there is a cory at kleemann too. he told me to avoid k&n's they are not designed for mercedes. The oil leaks from the filters onto the maf and causes issues.

however, he did recommend green filters which i will be getting very soon along with a renntech airbox
any chance he mentioned that the Greens fall apart in your airbox and get sucked up into your motor? i HIGHLY recommend you search the C32/C55 forum and others with these threads. there are even pictures with the filters fallen apart to bits in the air boxes for your viewing pleasure.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I have seen the green filters somewhere in the forum that fallen apart.

Andy
Old 01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
My green filters fell apart around the edges. I'm so disgusted with the co. that I havn't even bothered to get it to replace them yet. Some on the board claim that the manufacturer of green filters has changed the rubber compound they use and the filters no longer disintegrate. Who knows?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 PM

SLK230 '98 CLK500 '06
feel free to correct me, but seems to me that the only time reduced airflow because of filters would effect mpg or hp would be at or near wot. otherwise airflow is restricted by throttle position not filters. even at wot my guess would be throttle body is the limiting factor. as long as filters breathe better than throttle body, there should be no tangible effect of using a less restrictive filter. since the service life of oem stock filters is considerable, the danger of using substandard, or unapproved oil coated filters, to me seems an undesirable choice. i think K&N variants have been out there long enough that MB would be using them stock if they were actually an improvement. MB is constantly trying to push hp [amg] and fuel economy, yet neither MB or AMG, or any other tuner suggests the use of these [snakeoil] filters.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Hardly anyone argues this issue any more on other sites. My personal experience -

When I got my E320 W210 wagon about 2 1/2 years ago, I thought I might save some money by getting a K&N reusable air filter. I check my mileage every tankful (the old way). Over a period of a couple of months I saw my around town mileage go from 18.5-19.0 to 16.0-17.5. I pulled the K&N, cleaned the MAF sensor, installed an OEM paper filter and the mileage improved on the very next tankful. Bosch will point out that the more porous K&N will allow particles which will actually pit the surface of the sensor. This will eventually cause enough damage that the MAF sensor will need to be replaced.

But I understand many people want to have fun with their car and gas mileage and replacement costs aren't very high on the priority list.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG V6/V8 Kompressor cars use a speed-density metering system=no MAF sensor, so those engine's have no problem using K&N's. NASP 112/113 engine's don't have problems with K&N's as long as their not over-oiled. As soon as you put a supercharger on a N/A 112/113 (where you're sucking 30-50% more air through the air filter at a higher velocity), any filter that requires oil becomes problematic. MB employs hot-film air mass sensors- This film is heated to a constant temperature. As air travels over the film, the temperature of the film is reduced, and requires more voltage to keep it at a specific temperature- the voltage requirement is directly related to the volume of air traveling through the MAF housing. Even getting a tiny amount of oil on this film will cause the sensor to drift out of calibration, which won't necessarily turn on a CEL. No amount of CRC cleaner is going to help either, since the oil becomes baked onto the film due to the heat. If one lets it go long enough, it will eventually burn a hole in the film and you'll get a code for MAF short circuit to ground or open circuit.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
The operational temperature range for the Bosch Type HFM-5 sensor used in MB 112/113 engines is -40C to 120C. I don't think modern synthetic lubricants will 'bake' to dryness at that temp. If so, then the oil on the cylinder walls would be giving us all major headaches.

Anecdotal data is what it is but over the past several years I have read many posts regarding cleaning MAF sensors in these engines in which the results were successful. One point may need mentioning. You must remove the insert in order to clean the sensor. And, of course, some people may have cleaned temp resistor thinking that was the MAF sensor.

See attached Bosch Document, pg. 3-4 Type HFM-5
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MAF_Bosch.pdf (157.3 KB, 241 views)
Old 05-22-2010, 03:15 AM

2017 E300
Originally Posted by RichardM98
The operational temperature range for the Bosch Type HFM-5 sensor used in MB 112/113 engines is -40C to 120C. I don't think modern synthetic lubricants will 'bake' to dryness at that temp. If so, then the oil on the cylinder walls would be giving us all major headaches.
not quite. The abovementioned Bosch MAF sensors have an operational range that you listed, meaning they can accurately measure the INCOMING AIR at those temperatures. The hot film itself is actually heated to 75C degrees above the incoming air temp. So what Cory was saying is true.