Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

can mufflers be reversed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK500, W221 S550
can mufflers be reversed?

would the muffler produce the same sound/have the same use if you flip it? like take it and flip it 180 degrees? pretty random question but i have my reasons for asking lol
thx
Old 04-30-2008, 04:46 PM

2007 C230 Sport manual
A random answer.....I think they are engineered to work in the one direction. Lord knows what would get messed up with prolonged driving with it on backwards.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
911's and beyond
Yes they can be switched which ever direction you want at any angle u please.. mufflers are rolled and pref. and sealed etc there not directional. check magnaflow website
Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM

1986 300E
It depends on the type of muffler. If it's a factory style baffled muffler (or a multiple pass performance muffler), it will have a direction arrow on it if it's designed to be installed in only one direction. Some can go either way. If it's a perforated core straight through performance muffler, it can be installed either way. If it's a louvered core straight through performance muffler, it should only be installed one way (so the exhaust flows past the louvers... not into them). If you install it backwards it will sound different and reduce performance, and possibly not last as long (packing could blow out prematurely).