Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

5.5L Kompressor Specs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL 55 AMG
5.5L Kompressor Specs

Does anyone know how much hp the block of the 5.5L can handle? Are the piston forged, etc.? I can't find any info on the block motor specs.... Any info would be great! Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
We routinely tune these engines for close to 600hp/620lb ft tq., with no problems. I believe that the pistons are forged.

Remember that this is basically the same engine that is in the SLR, and the CLK DTM, which are set up for 600hp
Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL 55 AMG
What else are doing to the slr to make that much hp? I have kleemann ecu, pulley and 80 mm throttle body already installed. Kleemann headers should be here next week. (Was told there were coming from Denmark.) Is there anything else I can do to this motor to get more hp out of it? After all the research I have done, the bottle scares me..........
Old 05-12-2008, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by RippedUpMan
What else are doing to the slr to make that much hp? I have kleemann ecu, pulley and 80 mm throttle body already installed. Kleemann headers should be here next week. (Was told there were coming from Denmark.) Is there anything else I can do to this motor to get more hp out of it? After all the research I have done, the bottle scares me..........
Based on the setup that you already have I think you will like what we can do for the performance.

You already have Kleeman..... is everything working well, or is it not up to your expectations?
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Check out the E55 forum to see what those guys are doing to their cars. Some are pushing 700+ hp soon. 600+ is fairly routine now.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by RippedUpMan
Is there anything else I can do to this motor to get more hp out of it? After all the research I have done, the bottle scares me..........
Yes there is! Just like MB Fanatic said, check out the E55 threads.
VRP is basically modding every part of my 55 Kompressor.
They are installing steel sleeves in the stock 5.5L block and boring it to 5.7L, knife edge and lighten the crank, stronger rod bolts, replacing my stock pistons with lighter and stronger forged coated pistons, ported the oil pump, race ported stage 3 heads with bigger Ferrea valves and aggressive cams, not to mention port match my lower SC intake with my ported heads, bigger crank pulley, 80mm throttle body, CF airbox, longtube headers and the list goes on and on and on and on....they have beefed up transmissions and coming out with high flow intercoolers and we're even going to throw twinturbos in the rear to feed the kompressor up front.
Is that enough?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Havoc, at the risk of going OT, how are you going to get that power to the ground?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Havoc, at the risk of going OT, how are you going to get that power to the ground?
Good question. It won't be an easy fix. I'll have to get to know the power band through practice using throttle control...and get a good pair of sticky slicks for the track. I know I won't have much of a launch on the street, but I'm OK with that. The street will be for cruising and listening to my lumpy idle with the top down.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That is some serious modifications! I am sure that it will be an incredible performance car when you are done.

The only 'challenge' I have with doing allot of mods to a car is the costs involved, followed by the return when it comes time to sell.

Part of the reason I put Veloce Performance together was to give guys some useful increases and enjoyment from their cars, without going crazy with costs, because in the past (with my own cars), the more money I put into them, the less I was able to get out on the other end. I have found on the used car side, people don't really want modded cars, and the more you do to them, the smaller the potential market is for resale.

Have fun and be safe..... it sounds like a great project!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
That is some serious modifications! I am sure that it will be an incredible performance car when you are done.

The only 'challenge' I have with doing allot of mods to a car is the costs involved, followed by the return when it comes time to sell.

Part of the reason I put Veloce Performance together was to give guys some useful increases and enjoyment from their cars, without going crazy with costs, because in the past (with my own cars), the more money I put into them, the less I was able to get out on the other end. I have found on the used car side, people don't really want modded cars, and the more you do to them, the smaller the potential market is for resale.

Have fun and be safe..... it sounds like a great project!
Thanks! I totally agree with you about the costs involved and not getting it back on the return if I was to sell. The good thing is that I'll never sell it. I would have never went forward with this build if I was only going to keep it for a couple of years. I look at the cost for this build as a trade off for having one very unique SL55 and enjoyment for years to come!
Old 05-14-2008, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Do you really think the turbochargers are necessary? I've been following the project (have the link to the thread favorite-ed ) and it looks to be one unreal car. But as mentioned earlier, traction will be the primary crux. Even steamrollers wrapped in slick rubber are going to fight for every inch of grip...and you want to twincharge the thing!?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HLG600
Do you really think the turbochargers are necessary? I've been following the project (have the link to the thread favorite-ed ) and it looks to be one unreal car. But as mentioned earlier, traction will be the primary crux. Even steamrollers wrapped in slick rubber are going to fight for every inch of grip...and you want to twincharge the thing!?
No, the twinturbos are not necessary. The 5.7L build should provide around 750hp and 800+tq at the crank; just over 600rwhp, and that is impressive in itself. But I want to go for 1000hp and that's where the twinturbos come in to play.
Yeah, traction will be the primary crux and we'll deal with the traction issue later; not that there's much we can do about it. Like I said, I won't be able to let all of the horses out of the stable all at once.