Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Dynojet vs Mustang

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550 Coupe
Dynojet vs Mustang

This little performance shop opened up across the street from my work and they have some Mustang dyno. I've mostly read about Dynojet on here (I think that's what Evosport uses) so I asked them what the difference was. They said the Mustang puts load on the car to simulate actual driving, but the Dynojet gives hypothetical numbers. The owner was out so they couldn't give me a quote, so I left and said I would come back later. When I was leaving, I noticed some other performance shop popped up across the street and they have a Dynojet. So both are available to me. Which should I run my car on and why?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
His 2019 RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel Laramie; Her's 2007 ML320 CDI P3; Mine BMW R1200R
On my turbo 91 Mustang with a stand alone ECU, I have tuned on both. With the Mustang Dyno, the car drove like a stock car. Smooth, excellent fuel ratios, good solid power under all conditions etc.

On a Dynojet, there was no load. After tuning, I had horsepower numbers, but still had to drive around on the road/track to get the fuel curve under load correct.

Best I can say, if you just want to see how much power you have, use the Dynojet. It is pretty consistent from machine to machine, with repeatable results.
But, if you are tuning a vehicle and want it done right, strap down on the Mustang Dyno, load the wheels, and tune away. You will see a slightly lower HP number as compared to the Dynojet, but it will be a "truer" HP number.
Have fun!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
This last post is pretty close.

We do have a dynojet 248c. We use it as it is the most common and consistent dyno world wide. You can get a dynojet # almost anywhere and with the SAE correction, the numbers are typically within 1% regardless of elevation, location, etc.

However, for pure tunning, you do not need a mustang. It is helpful to have a load dyno for sure. You can do close to as well with a dynojet, it just takes a lot of experience.

The poster was correct in that many dynojet shops purely tune at full throttle on the dynojet then wonder why the #'s and A/F are wacky on the street under load - well, duh! lol

Also, there is no such thing as a "truer" number. All of the dyno's use a calculation to give you their interpretation of rear wheel power. Some are higher and some are lower. Some will argue for days and days that this dyno is better then that dyno, etc.

The net/net is that if you use the same dyno before and after mods, just look at the delta.

Don't know if this helps, as it is late and I am tired, but I hope so.

thanks
brad
Old 06-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Dyno Dynamics > Mustang > Dynojet.

if you want the worlds most accurate real world dyno you have to go dyno dynamics. If you are just trying to compare your numbers with other peoples for the sake of competition and you just want high unrealistic numbers. Dynojet can't be beat.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:38 AM
Banned

Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class
Actually...The Mustang Dyno's work slightly different than the Dyno-Jet Dyno's..
Mustang Dyno's apply a load, via eletro-mechanical resistance, then rwhp is calculated based on how your "acceleration/unit of time" of this load occurs..
DynoJet Dyno's simply use a large drum, of know mass, as its rotating resistance...Then rwhp is calculated based on how your "acceleration/unit of time" of the drum occurs...

It really doesn't matter what Dyno you use...Just as long as you keep using the same dyno to check your mods...This will keep variances down to a minimum and tell you truely if any mod is helping or not.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by knoxville
Actually...The Mustang Dyno's work slightly different than the Dyno-Jet Dyno's..
Mustang Dyno's apply a load, via eletro-mechanical resistance, then rwhp is calculated based on how your "acceleration/unit of time" of this load occurs..
DynoJet Dyno's simply use a large drum, of know mass, as its rotating resistance...Then rwhp is calculated based on how your "acceleration/unit of time" of the drum occurs...

It really doesn't matter what Dyno you use...Just as long as you keep using the same dyno to check your mods...This will keep variances down to a minimum and tell you truely if any mod is helping or not.
What he said!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i would just go with who ever is the better tuner. Long as you have your baseline and final numbers on the same dyno, the gains should be the same. The final number will just read 13% higher or lower.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1996 C36 AMG
most tuners use loading dynos for that specific reason so basically go with loading dyno. Mustang is ok, but Dyno dynamics is by far the best and most realistic of whats happening on the road.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM

CLS63, C220CDi
Mainline > all other chassis Dynos
Features like being able to plug straight into the MB OBDII port and log IAT, Ignition timing, TPS etc and graph them.....awesome
Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 PM

14-F Sport, 07-CLS63 2003-HUMMER 2004-Suburban 2008-MAX 2005-YZF R1
Originally Posted by midget fidger
This little performance shop opened up across the street from my work and they have some Mustang dyno. I've mostly read about Dynojet on here (I think that's what Evosport uses) so I asked them what the difference was. They said the Mustang puts load on the car to simulate actual driving, but the Dynojet gives hypothetical numbers. The owner was out so they couldn't give me a quote, so I left and said I would come back later. When I was leaving, I noticed some other performance shop popped up across the street and they have a Dynojet. So both are available to me. Which should I run my car on and why?

Is this in the Baltimore area or Orlando??
Old 08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Hey, this is in Orlando. I still haven't had a chance to go back to either shop lol.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:35 PM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
Very informative thread
Old 08-10-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002