Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

oil additive...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E320 - 04 E320
oil additive...

my mechanic has recommended the addition of Prolong in my oil. He is of the opinion that it will boost the performance of my high mileage engine. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?
Old 12-31-2002, 12:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
It depends, if you already use synthetic oil, don't use it, if you use regular oil it won't hurt, it might actually help a little.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:17 PM

2002 CLK320
I have used it in my Jeep Grand Cherokee and my former Acura Integra (traded it in for the CLK) every time I changed my oil (regular 10w-30, not synthetic).

It makes the car run smoother and quieter for about a week. I am usually late to work in the mornings so I don't warm up the Jeep too long, less than a minute most times, so I feel more secure knowing that I've added something to the engine that supposedly protects the engine better than just oil by itself.

I wouldn't think it would hurt the engine, but it does cost about $20 per shot.

I agree that if you're already using synthetic, then it probably won't help as much.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:50 PM

Question

How about that V6 Engine Restorer that has ads in the magazines with the black/silver label? they sell it at Pepboys, autozone, etc. and it also comes in 4 cyl and V8. does that stuff work?