Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

What gives the biggest bang for the buck on a CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55
What gives the biggest bang for the buck on a CL55

I know you can improve performance with hi-perf air filters, supercharger pulleys, ecu mods, headers and so on, but starting out, which one would be the best choice to get the biggest bang for the buck? (mine' an 03 ).

Also, I believe I've heard that the final drive ration on non blown (early) cl55's had a higher numerical gear ratio. Anyone swapped rear ends for better punch?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Pronto
I know you can improve performance with hi-perf air filters, supercharger pulleys, ecu mods, headers and so on, but starting out, which one would be the best choice to get the biggest bang for the buck? (mine' an 03 ).

Also, I believe I've heard that the final drive ration on non blown (early) cl55's had a higher numerical gear ratio. Anyone swapped rear ends for better punch?
I went through the same thoughts back when I bought my '03 SL55. All of which got me on the road to founding Veloce Performance. Since then we have put together what I feel are the best performance options available.... especially for the 55K cars.

We have a number of different options for your car. Feel free to go to our web site or call me directly. 602-430-6671
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I was in the same boat for a E55K and decided on a tune and still looking for pulley as I have not decided which one I will buy yet... Purchased 80mm AMG TB kit as it will not void my current warranty.. Came across good deal on Renntech CF Airbox w filters, which I plan to sell for VRP CF AB set up for 80mm TB which I purchased but have not had install done yet... Depends upon your budget, unfortunately I am on a beer budget not champagne... There is so much information on these boards you can become very much a well educated consumer and most people are very helpful if you ask...

Tune and Pulley is what all the experts have said from my research. Then you can do 80mm TB, headers, air intake and such. Also keep in mind that once you do a pulley you must look into keeping the motor cool. I ordered a reworked TSTat from PTE and plan Code3 larger H/E and Johnson pump...

Hope this info helps, Best regards, Joseph
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55
Thanks for the info. Have either of you changed gearing?
Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by Pronto
Thanks for the info. Have either of you changed gearing?
I have stock gearing