Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

55 Kompressor Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM
PDC

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
55 Kompressor Tuning Questions

I have an 05 E55 with a Kleemann Stage I ECU flash and pulley. I have also added a PTE thermostat and the Evosport cooling kit and resonator delete kit.

I just got ahold of a VRP CF airbox that shoud be installed nest week. I am planning on buying a set of the VRP exhaust manifolds this summer. Will the airbox and manifolds cause me to need an ECU re-flash? I understand the VRP manifolds are a noticable improvement over the stockers, but they admittedly do not flow as much as a true set of 'headers' either shorty or long tube. I know I would need to re-map the ECU to accommodate a set of long-tubes. I am just wondering if the VRP manifolds are close enough to the parameters of a Kleemann Stage I ECU tune that the car will run well without more ECU tinkering.

P.S. What do you all think of Evosport plug wires? I'm sure they are top-notch quality, but is there any performance to be found over stock plug wires on these cars? For $500.00, I am seriously considering a set and having my tech install them along with new plugs during the exhaust manifold swap - no easier time to accomplisg that.

Any opinions - advice - experience welcome!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PDC
I have an 05 E55 with a Kleemann Stage I ECU flash and pulley. I have also added a PTE thermostat and the Evosport cooling kit and resonator delete kit.

I just got ahold of a VRP CF airbox that shoud be installed nest week. I am planning on buying a set of the VRP exhaust manifolds this summer. Will the airbox and manifolds cause me to need an ECU re-flash? I understand the VRP manifolds are a noticable improvement over the stockers, but they admittedly do not flow as much as a true set of 'headers' either shorty or long tube. I know I would need to re-map the ECU to accommodate a set of long-tubes. I am just wondering if the VRP manifolds are close enough to the parameters of a Kleemann Stage I ECU tune that the car will run well without more ECU tinkering.

P.S. What do you all think of Evosport plug wires? I'm sure they are top-notch quality, but is there any performance to be found over stock plug wires on these cars? For $500.00, I am seriously considering a set and having my tech install them along with new plugs during the exhaust manifold swap - no easier time to accomplisg that.

Any opinions - advice - experience welcome!
first off, exhaust manifolds on your E55 will be totally worthless. WORTHLESS.....the price you are going to pay for VRP's manifolds does not warrant getting those. dish out the dough for the longtubes or go another route. SERIOUSLY.

however, your initial flash (or tune) would be safe to run with these "exhaust manifolds"

evosport overprices their products. buy them yourself from a website, (save like 300 dollars, seriously), and get them installed (or you can do it yourself) for cheap. you can get the 16 plugs you need here: http://eurocharged.com/shop/product_...5&category=all
and you might as well upgrade to Magnecor race wires while you are at it
Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I am not sure how Kleeman writes their software, but ours will adapt to varying levels of air flow.... up to a point. When the mods start to get extensive, in order to maximize what is there, we recommend dyno tuning. We usually have a remote clients do a dyno w/AF ratios, list their mods, and then we dial it in for that particular set up.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 PM
PDC

2006 SL65 ///AMG - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: 2005 E55; 2002 ML55; 2001 CLK55; 1992 BMW 850i; 1991 M5
Originally Posted by jturkel
first off, exhaust manifolds on your E55 will be totally worthless. WORTHLESS.....the price you are going to pay for VRP's manifolds does not warrant getting those. dish out the dough for the longtubes or go another route. SERIOUSLY.

however, your initial flash (or tune) would be safe to run with these "exhaust manifolds"

evosport overprices their products. buy them yourself from a website, (save like 300 dollars, seriously), and get them installed (or you can do it yourself) for cheap. you can get the 16 plugs you need here: http://eurocharged.com/shop/product_...5&category=all
and you might as well upgrade to Magnecor race wires while you are at it
If you feel that strongly about VRP's exhaust manifolds, then I presume you would feel the same way about RennTech "headers"? I see these 2 products as being very similar in design, but it appears as though VRP has opened up all of the dimensions for improved flow. I agree that both styles are more of a glorified 'log-style' manifold than a true individual tube-style 'header' like EvoSport's and Kleemann's shortys or VRP's long-tube style.

What about the Dyno numbers (and graph) posted on VRP's website listing of these manifolds? They claim a little over 20 hp and tq at the rear wheels. That would mean closer to 25 ponies and pounds at the flywheel. (provided their numbers are both truthful and accurrate) I have corresponded with both Victor and Vadim on numerous occasions and found both gentlemen to be very friendly and helpful. I'd hate to think that the dyno numbers they list on their site are pure hogwash.

The main reason I like their manifolds is that they bolt right up to the stock exhaust system with no cutting or bypassing of the cats. VRP also seems to be the most affordable at about 1/3 the cost of RennTech. However, If I will really get significantly more bang-for-the-buck from EvoSport shortys (a true tube header design) then I need to take that into consideration.

Thank you for your reply!!!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PDC
If you feel that strongly about VRP's exhaust manifolds, then I presume you would feel the same way about RennTech "headers"? I see these 2 products as being very similar in design, but it appears as though VRP has opened up all of the dimensions for improved flow. I agree that both styles are more of a glorified 'log-style' manifold than a true individual tube-style 'header' like EvoSport's and Kleemann's shortys or VRP's long-tube style.

What about the Dyno numbers (and graph) posted on VRP's website listing of these manifolds? They claim a little over 20 hp and tq at the rear wheels. That would mean closer to 25 ponies and pounds at the flywheel. (provided their numbers are both truthful and accurrate) I have corresponded with both Victor and Vadim on numerous occasions and found both gentlemen to be very friendly and helpful. I'd hate to think that the dyno numbers they list on their site are pure hogwash.

The main reason I like their manifolds is that they bolt right up to the stock exhaust system with no cutting or bypassing of the cats. VRP also seems to be the most affordable at about 1/3 the cost of RennTech. However, If I will really get significantly more bang-for-the-buck from EvoSport shortys (a true tube header design) then I need to take that into consideration.

Thank you for your reply!!!
have you seen your stock exhaust manifolds? they should already be log style (mine are on the C32) which isnt all THAT bad.

as far as posted dyno numbers from a company's website, i would take them with a grain of salt. look for independent dyno numbers for these from a forum member. you never know what conditions the car may have been under. who knows? a bag of ice may have cooled the s/c down more than normal and you see more gains. i always look for independent and unbiased dynos

i'm not saying they are hogwash. and yes, Vadim is very nice. i have spoken and pm'd him many times and is indeed very helpful and knowledgeable. have you seen any independent pictures of them? do you know what kind of material they are? if they are mild steel, i would avoid them. mild steel tends to become brittle under high head and get holes....exhaust leak.....bad.

i would just hold on until longtubes. are longtubes not direct bolt on? i know VRP shorties are on my car.

about prices....i think eurocharged/let motorsports is currently working on a set of SS longtubes for the E55. Shoot Loungn14 a PM about it and I'm sure he can give you info and good prices. Renntech has just ridiculous prices IMO.

and i was serious about the plugs and wires too lol.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 AM
PDC

Great Info!

Many Thanks for the reply. That's why I love this forum - acces to information that would otherwise be unavailable or learned the old-fashioned way - first hand trial and (costly) error.

BTW my hood ornament is looking a little dull. Can you give me the number of your auto-detailer? She seems to be very thorough.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PDC
Many Thanks for the reply. That's why I love this forum - acces to information that would otherwise be unavailable or learned the old-fashioned way - first hand trial and (costly) error.

BTW my hood ornament is looking a little dull. Can you give me the number of your auto-detailer? She seems to be very thorough.
lol. you arent under the impression that the car being licked in my sign is mine, do you? haha....my car isnt that clean, gosh i wish it were. that is not my area of expertise. i would suggest posting in a regional sub-forum about finding a good auto-detailer or asking around on your forum for good products (which again, i do not know.) sorry