Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Questions for KLEEMANN re CLK55K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 E63
Questions for KLEEMANN re CLK55K

1. The system MB is using on the SL55 appears very similar to the CLK55K setup. One of the current magazine articles on the SL55 noted that, while the SL55 uses essentially the same engine as the CLK55, MB strengthened a number of things internally to make the engine more supercharger friendly, such as the crank, crankcase, pistons, etc. Given that the CLK55 engine already has forged internals and that Kleemann doesn't require or recommend upgrading anything to use its system, how do you explain this? Is this MB mega over-engineering, or is the article simply wrong?

2. What are the differences, if any, between the system MB is using on the SL55 and the Kleemann CLK55K system?

3. In installing the computer changes as part of a CLK55K upgrade, can you do anything with the transmission shift points? Specifically, can you kill the cyber nanny that insists on short shifting into every successive gear at anything less than WOT, and not only that, but cutting throttle/timing while doing so to produce a series of short-shift hiccups that would make a nun homicidal? [rant mode on--I will NEVER understand why a car so hard-core and wonderful in so many ways has this absurd shift programming, or why it has 3-4 inches of mush in the brake pedal before the otherwise excellent brakes grab and do something; those responsible for everything else about the car should be given large raises, and those responsible for the latter two items should be transferred to Chrysler to work on minivans--rant mode off]

4. Lastly, if an ungoverned SL55 will apparently run 200+ mph (before the tires come apart), what will a CLK55K do?

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2002, 12:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

CLK55 Kompressor reply

1>The AMG55 bottom end is very robust from the start- even in "plain" non-SC mode. I do not believe that the block is significantly cahnged for the new SC AMG engine, the pistons are a lower CR at 9.0:1, the crank remains the same forged unit. If you examine what happens in an SC engine you can explain quite simply why the AMG engine is perfect from the beggining. The inertial loads of the piston/conrod assembly are the highest at TDC and BDC, when the piston is accelerating and decelerating. Nothing will change these loads when supercharging as the inertial load has everything to do with mass and speed of the assembly (we dont add mass or increase the redline). Compressive loads (when the piston is on its way up, compressing the air/fuel mixture) can offset interial loads- think of it as an air brake. The more air/fuel we stuff in the cylinder the harder it becomes to compress, the assembly will slow down, reducing the inertial loads. The increase in the power stroke is is the only thing we are changing. We cannot change the rules of physics however. The more dense air/fuel mixture burns for a longer time than the stock mixture- increasing the duration of the power stroke. Fortunately this is the "direction" the piston/conrod assembly is the strongest. You can make the statement that an engine with 50% more power may only increase the loads seen by the engine by 15%.

2> The compressors are both positive displacement screw principle superchargers, the intercoolers are very different. KLEEMANNs intercooler is far more efficient than a standard bar and plate type core like MBZ is using. The MBZ unit is flipped 180 degrees compared to the KLEEMANN unit. The similarity is no accident as certain engineering questions may have common solutions- KLEEMANN has been on the market several years before the MBZ system

3>The trans control unit is seperate from the engine unit- we cannot change any of the shifting characteristics of the car via programming. Throttle response and down/upshifts are crisper with the SC as one of the primary inputs to the control is a time/speed function of vehicle acceleration (which is obviously far different than stock).

4> Max speeds are ultimately bounded by gear ratios against the rear ratio. Removing the VMax will allow a CLK55 to run at approx 330kph (206 mph).
Old 02-10-2002, 01:13 PM

04 SL600 & 04 Range Rover
I am contemplating having the Kleemann compressor installed on my new SL 500 when it arrives. The 500 engine has none of the mods that AMG makes to the non-compressor 55 engine. After reading the Car and Drive March 2002 article that R. Range referenced above, I had the same questions he asked above. Bottom line, have you had any failures of a "standard" MB engine after installation of the Kleemann compressor? Are there any mods that you recommend, when making the compressor installation to a "standard" engine?
Old 02-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Durability

KLEEMANN has had ZERO powertrain failures of any kind. This includes engines, transmissions and rears.

The point I was trying to make with the long explination is that ANY MBZ engine is designed with such a wide margin of durability safety that adding a KLEEMANN Kompressor will not adversely effect its longevity.

Our CLK430 and E320 have over 32K miles in 6 months- all at the hands of people driving the cars like it was their last day on earth. We have changed oil and tires- nothing else.
Old 02-10-2002, 02:15 PM

'10 E63
Thanks for the excellent response, and a 100% durability record is quite amazing, even if the customer base and total miles driven are relatively small at this point. Now if I could just find a CLK55K within 500 miles of TN to test drive!
Old 02-10-2002, 02:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by R. Range
Thanks for the excellent response, and a 100% durability record is quite amazing, even if the customer base and total miles driven are relatively small at this point. Now if I could just find a CLK55K within 500 miles of TN to test drive!
Kleemann has been supercharging cars for several years in Europe, so the customer base and total miles driven are actually quite large.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:25 PM

'10 E63
Mach, I was assuming KLEEMANN was referring to their experience with CLK's only, rather than everything Kleemann has ever supercharged, but perhaps KLEEMANN can clarify that point for us.
Old 02-10-2002, 05:31 PM

Mach is right, there are lots of MBZ cars out ther with conversions.

I bought my first MBZ in 1994 a C 180, that car needs power if any
does. 1997 I bought a E 200, in 2000 a E 280 and this summer
a S 500.
I had compressors installed at KLEEMANN in Copenhagen in all my cars, it never caused me any problems with my engine, gear
box, rear. ect.ect.
I still meet the guy who drives my old C 180, and it's still going strong after 8 years.
Old 02-11-2002, 03:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by R. Range
Mach, I was assuming KLEEMANN was referring to their experience with CLK's only, rather than everything Kleemann has ever supercharged, but perhaps KLEEMANN can clarify that point for us.
I think he was referring to the cars that Kleemann USA posesses. Kleemann is relatively new to the US, while in Europe and other parts of the world, they are a common name when it comes to tuning. Per my conversation with Kleemann, they have never had any major problems with any of their cars, in the US or the rest of the world.
Old 02-11-2002, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Durability

Mach430 is correct.

What I meant is that KLEEMANN (as a world wide company) has had zero failures. Not just in the USA. The company is 15 years old- we have close to one thousand Kompresor systems sold to date. There is quite a lot of cumulative road miles around the world on our systems.