Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

RennTech Limited Slip Differential for 550BT owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
RennTech Limited Slip Differential for 550BT owners

For those that care:

I've been chatting with folks at RennTech about getting an LSD for the 550 BiTurbo models. They recognize that the differential is the weak link in the drivetrain of these cars, but it doesn't appear that they recognize the potential demand for an LSD upgrade. If you're interested in having RennTech develop an LSD for your BiTurbo, send them an email and let them know. Maybe we can convince them to get serious about it.

You might also mention that there's not much reason to shell out cash for their transmission and ECU upgrades if you can't actually put the power to the ground!!!!!!

Thanks for your participation!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by nawlinstornado
For those that care:

I've been chatting with folks at RennTech about getting an LSD for the 550 BiTurbo models. They recognize that the differential is the weak link in the drivetrain of these cars, but it doesn't appear that they recognize the potential demand for an LSD upgrade. If you're interested in having RennTech develop an LSD for your BiTurbo, send them an email and let them know. Maybe we can convince them to get serious about it.

You might also mention that there's not much reason to shell out cash for their transmission and ECU upgrades if you can't actually put the power to the ground!!!!!!

Thanks for your participation!
Done 5 months ago: almost word for word!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Done 5 months ago: almost word for word!
Do it again! I plan to call at least monthly to get updates. If we can get enough people to ask for it, they'll do it. From what I've learned, it's basically the same diff for all the M278 cars: CLS550, E550, S550, and (I think) even the SL550! We just have to get enough people to ask for it.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by nawlinstornado
Do it again! I plan to call at least monthly to get updates. If we can get enough people to ask for it, they'll do it. From what I've learned, it's basically the same diff for all the M278 cars: CLS550, E550, S550, and (I think) even the SL550! We just have to get enough people to ask for it.
Actually, the '12 E550 diff is basically the same as used in a C63, except for the ratio (per Quaife and a qualified MBZ tech who tried to install the 2011 E coupe Quaife). The E sedan uses the same diff as a CLS.
The '12 E550 has a 1:2.47 where the C E CLS & SL 63 have a 1:2.82.
The ring gear mounting flange in the E coupe is in a different location to allow for it's thicker ring gear. I sent a copy of the diff schematic to RENNtech: see attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MBZ 2012 E550C dim diff.pdf (178.8 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by Dueclaws; 06-19-2012 at 04:05 PM.