Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Crank Yankers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
Blown

The Blower is actually a better way to go. You can get the torque and power with moderate boost and mild camshafts/headwork. That way, the driveability wont be to bad. When you go normally aspirated, you have to go radical headwork and valve timing. Driveability sucks, no vacuum, no smog etc. (and actually similar money) an example from chevy: GM crate 502 CI 602 HP motor $16K, a Good 383 small block with a small blower and 7psi, 575 HP under $10K (way under)
Old 08-03-2003, 02:52 AM

AMG C43, 1999
kennygss,

Your statements might have been ture even 5 years ago, but now days those sorts of issues do not exist on a well engineered engine package.

Again the Engine Masters Challange was for NA motors of 365CI and ran on pump gas. The top ten motors had very smooth powerbands and the winner made 608Hp from 365CI, not 502CI.

The engines were judged by the power they made from 2500 rpm to 6500 rpm(?). Not just peak Hp numbers.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2003, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what motor is this for?
Old 08-03-2003, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by speedybenz
kennygss,

Your statements might have been ture even 5 years ago, but now days those sorts of issues do not exist on a well engineered engine package.

Again the Engine Masters Challange was for NA motors of 365CI and ran on pump gas. The top ten motors had very smooth powerbands and the winner made 608Hp from 365CI, not 502CI.

The engines were judged by the power they made from 2500 rpm to 6500 rpm(?). Not just peak Hp numbers.

Jeff
I'm not sure if you have any experience with the SC systems developed by Kleemann for MBs. Their integration with the MB engine is virtually seamless and extremely smooth and defintely not only about peak HP and torque. I see no reason to limit the HP and torque output of my car by sticking with an NA MB block. Building super-tweaked NA engine blocks is interesting for a competition like Engine Masters Challenge, however, I don't see how it would be a good choice in a car that needs to retain reliability and driveability. Furthermore, I would only end up with a car that is slower, which does not interest me at all.
But to answer your original question... no, we did not consider going with a NA block b/c it would not have made any sense.

Last edited by Sleestack; 08-03-2003 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by OmeyHomey
what motor is this for?
A supercharged 6.3 liter CLK.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Sleestack, are you going to call it a CLK63 Kompressor?
Old 08-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 E420
Jeff, no argument here on the pwerband etc. What Im saying is that those types of combos are fairly un-streetable for a host of reasons. Mostly radical valve timing issues. Low end vacuum etc. IMO only, the blower route is the easiest, most reliable, effecient , and emission freindly (if thats an issue in this application) way to get the power. The average WInston - cup motor in the 355 CI range makes in the 700 - 750 HP range. Incredable RPM, powerband, peak HP and torque. Incredible reliability considering the application. Totally undriveable in a "street" situation. You want power, but need A/C, P/B, P/S and a warranty: "injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown"
Old 08-03-2003, 09:38 PM

AMG C43, 1999
kennygss,

These motors had very streetable powerbands as smooth as any Mercedes motor.

Sleestack, I guess the point to take from this is that 650Hp from 6.3 liters is sort of a low output with a supercharger. Hopefully the Kleemann supercharger ( which I am well informed of ) will result in Hp out of 750 to 800 hp in a very streetable package that maintains reliability. I am sure Vadim will do his level best.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
sleestack, I still admire your patience, I remember about 2 months ago you showed us the engine block, congratulations on the crankshaft, I'm sure it will be a killer, can't wait to see dyno numbers
Old 08-04-2003, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by speedybenz

Sleestack, I guess the point to take from this is that 650Hp from 6.3 liters is sort of a low output with a supercharger. Hopefully the Kleemann supercharger ( which I am well informed of ) will result in Hp out of 750 to 800 hp in a very streetable package that maintains reliability. I am sure Vadim will do his level best.

Jeff
I think 650 would be a very conservative estimate. 700 has always been the realistic target number, with reliabilty being equally as important as streetability. Kleemann SCs run at .5 bar of boost and produce marginal additional wear and tear. Vadim might be running my SC a little higher, however, definitely not at levels that significantly compromise the life of the engine. If you consider the ouput of the MB twin turbo V12 and the various MB tuner cars out there, I think 700 hp coupled with a similar torque rating would be quite impressive. I'm sure you are knowledgeable, however, if squeezing 800 hp out of MB engines (while maintaing driveability and reliability) was that easy, I think AMG or one of the incredibly knowledgeable MB aftermarket tuners would be doing it by now.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Dr Chill
Sleestack, are you going to call it a CLK63 Kompressor?
Not sure yet. Probably CLK 63K. I wouldn't badge it with a KOMPRESSOR badge, but might leave the KLEEMANN badge that's on there right now.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by pocholin
sleestack, I still admire your patience, I remember about 2 months ago you showed us the engine block, congratulations on the crankshaft, I'm sure it will be a killer, can't wait to see dyno numbers
Don't get me wrong, I definitely can't wait to get it back, but, I also have a 4 month old son, major house renovations, too many job titles and not enough tee times. I don't have the time to have to be patient. I also went into the project knowing that the engineering and manufacturing of the parts would take a long time. I trust Vadim to build a finely tuned beast and don't mind waiting for it.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A160 CLASSIC (The Tardis), VW Passat Diesel
very nice sleestack look forward to seeing the results... I'm sure your patience will be rewarded.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:14 PM

I am still very curious as to the transmission and rearend modifications.

Are you going to run the stock transmission, upgrade to a V12 tranny or something else?

Has anyone ever put that type of HP and TQ through an adaptive MB transmission?

I personnaly hate the MB adaptive trannies and would love to convert to a 6 speed. It would be cheaper to buy a new M5 though.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by sajecw
I am still very curious as to the transmission and rearend modifications.

Are you going to run the stock transmission, upgrade to a V12 tranny or something else?

Has anyone ever put that type of HP and TQ through an adaptive MB transmission?

I personnaly hate the MB adaptive trannies and would love to convert to a 6 speed. It would be cheaper to buy a new M5 though.
Definitely not a stock transmission. Transmission form a V12 is being used and should easily handle the power. ECU will be customized. Rear end modifications will be necessary to fit much wider tires, however, that will get started after the engine is dropped in.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Sleestack I loved your car from the very start, when you first showed us the pics of it! Looked soo aggresive and was even modified to look as hard as it went! Am so excited to see your new creation once you've finished creating it:P On a side note you must have ALOT of cash to spend, because if im right when you first showed us your car it had kleemen v8 sc in it? And now you have gone and done all this?! The line between passion and obsession is thin, which are you?

*after reading this I know it may seem as if it is attacking you but it isnt, just curious. I love your work*

*end obsession*