Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Exhaust crossover?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Exhaust crossover?

Is it recommended to have a crossover pipe installed between the dual exhaust pipes?

Is it worth having one put in?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450
It’s been my experience that cross over pipes when designed correctly can improve exhaust flow. They usually assist in only a few areas.
1. Equalizes the pressure between the two exhaust manifolds.
2. Disperse the exhaust gas heat evenly between the two exhaust banks.
(Which maintains an even temperature between the two systems).
3. In some cases it can prevent the popping sounds some exhaust make by equalizing the back pressure.

But before a crossover pipe can do any good a flow and thermal test should be done.
Just adding a straight pipe between the two can reduce exhaust flow. The exhaust gases can get trapped between the two pipes. This can create to much back pressure and reduce engine performance.
Most Crossover pipes are designed in a “X” pattern. This allows the spent exhaust gases to flow evenly through the remainder of the exhaust system.
Best of luck with your design,
Tim
Old 07-22-2003, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
hehe... thats my exhaust!! well... the muffler shop built that in, in hope to reduce noise level. and also all the things timster listed~

Jerry
Old 07-22-2003, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Originally posted by Timster
Most Crossover pipes are designed in a “X” pattern. This allows the spent exhaust gases to flow evenly through the remainder of the exhaust system.
Tim
I have seen this design before. I just didn't want to go wrong and have it create a problem instead of help.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:21 PM

AMG C43, 1999
Due to the firing sequence of a V8 motor an H-pipe can help scavange the combustion chambers and reduce sound levels in the same process.

You do want the H-pipe to be placed before the second set of cats for performance.

I don't know of any negative effects of having an H-pipe in your system.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2003, 09:34 PM

94 Wagon, 13 ML63
X Pipe is Best

If you want the best performance, have an X crossover installed as close to the manifold as possible, and you may have to move/remove cats to do so. Cats suck anyway... Timster is dead on, the crossover helps scavenge the exhaust gases for better flow, proper equalization, and actually a better and smoother sound and response. The X pipe is definately the best way to go because of its design. On a 928, (basically the same engine as a MB 500) just by adding an X in place of the H pipe, you'd see about 10-12hp and equal in torque increases. If you can get away with it, ditch the cats, or at least put on some high flow ones. I pass WA emissions with gutted cats and 2 resonators, so I couldn't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same with a Benz.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

there are three options here, all will gain power in one way or another...

Straight pipes (non connected) -- excellent ofr high end HP. however there is a reduction in very low gain or none at all in low end torque, possibly even slight loss in low end torque, but the top end is crazy.

H-pipe -- this is similiar to straight pipe but it allows the pulses to mix between the exhaust tracts there for increasing torque more than straight pipes, also great for high end power. the closer the "crossover" or H is to the headers the better.

X-pipe -- this is supposedly the best of both worlds, great low end torque boost, great high end power with very little sacrifice. overall its a great thing to have

all three are good (straight pipes worst of the group but still MUCH MUCH better than stock benz catalytic converters, especially with alot of mileage on them).

hope that technical explination helps.