Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

I blew my E55 Engine!!! [Video}

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by benzmac
According to federal law (magnuson-moss warranty act), the dealer or manufacturer can't revoke your warranty unless they can PROVE that the modifications (if any) were the root cause of the failure.

This isn't something I am making up. Look it up with a GOOGLE search.
Correct. However, any modification that increases HP, changes cylinder pressures and temperatures to this extent gives every manufacturer an excuse to void the warranty. All they have to claim is that their motor was only designed for "X" horsepower plus or minus a few HP for differences in manufacturing tolerance, not "X" plus 100 HP.

Autostream is SOL.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
I am familiar with the magnuson-moss warranty act and had contacted an attorney in past regarding a car I used to own where me and the dealer had a difference of opinion regarding what was wrong with the car. I was told by the attorney that I should let it go because.........although the act does require that the dxealer should prove that the modification actually caused the failure, the level of proof required is very low. The net effect is that the protection you get from the law is not as far reaching as you would think. For example, based on the act, the dealer cannot claim that your aftermarket Xenons caused to transmission to fail, but they can defnitely be successful in claiming that your supecharger caused your engine to fail.......regardless of whther or not that is infact true.I was told by the attorney that so long as the problem with the car is not incosistent with blame issued by the dealer, that the dealer would win. This is because of the complexities involved in todays high performance engines do not always allow for direct scientific proof by from the dealer and as such placing such a burden on the dealer was seen as unreasonable.

.........Having said that, I do modify my cars quite a bit and I basically go with a company and a technician that I trust. As for aftermarket tuners............You guys have no idea ho much more money you could be making if you could somehow figure out the warranty issues. Take 6 months away from developing a new supercharger or pulley and place every minute of those 6 months into brainstorming to figure out how you can convince MBUSA to extend the MB warranty to include your mods.Then come back and even if you build a crapy supercharger or pulley, You'll be richer than Bill Gates.

Ted
Old 12-07-2003, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars and boats!
some1 here in FL was selling me a long block for the M113.210.55!!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
I am familiar with the magnuson-moss warranty act and had contacted an attorney in past regarding a car I used to own where me and the dealer had a difference of opinion regarding what was wrong with the car. I was told by the attorney that I should let it go because.........although the act does require that the dxealer should prove that the modification actually caused the failure, the level of proof required is very low. The net effect is that the protection you get from the law is not as far reaching as you would think. For example, based on the act, the dealer cannot claim that your aftermarket Xenons caused to transmission to fail, but they can defnitely be successful in claiming that your supecharger caused your engine to fail.......regardless of whther or not that is infact true.I was told by the attorney that so long as the problem with the car is not incosistent with blame issued by the dealer, that the dealer would win. This is because of the complexities involved in todays high performance engines do not always allow for direct scientific proof by from the dealer and as such placing such a burden on the dealer was seen as unreasonable.

Ted, you are absolutely right about this. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss act specifically requires a arbitration. If you get to this point you have already lost from my point of view. You never want to have to invoke the Magnuson-Moss act if at all possible. We had a rather lengthly thread about this about 1 and a half years ago headed by moderator Drew whom is a attorney with experience in Magnuson-Moss cases. It is an interesting read. If anyone is interest simply search Magnuson Moss and you will find a lot of info.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:01 PM

1995 Ferrari Spider, Porsche 911 Turbo,01 Hayabusa, 01- E55
its at the dealer right now with a completely stock engine with 2 holes in it. They suspect 'mods' but it is just the service manager's speculation to why he denied the claim.

If they took the engine apart and showed me some evidence that the car had been modified I wouldnt have a problem with that.

But reality I feel he denied the claim as he was walking up to the car. He opened the hood merely as a formality. From what I heard through the grapevine, they get really pissed seeing a car with modified anything. They suspected I was trying to pull something over on them before they even saw what was wrong. maybe even add in a little bit of jealousy of car that has a lot of time and money into it and there you go...

I even heard him make a comment about me being 'lucky they warrantied the AC system last summer' Its more of an attitude that I am fighting and less of 'what really caused the engine failure'.

ps. to the post about the engine? does someone have one for sale?
Old 12-07-2003, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Autostream
its at the dealer right now with a completely stock engine with 2 holes in it. They suspect 'mods' but it is just the service manager's speculation to why he denied the claim.

If they took the engine apart and showed me some evidence that the car had been modified I wouldnt have a problem with that.

But reality I feel he denied the claim as he was walking up to the car. He opened the hood merely as a formality. From what I heard through the grapevine, they get really pissed seeing a car with modified anything. They suspected I was trying to pull something over on them before they even saw what was wrong. maybe even add in a little bit of jealousy of car that has a lot of time and money into it and there you go...

I even heard him make a comment about me being 'lucky they warrantied the AC system last summer' Its more of an attitude that I am fighting and less of 'what really caused the engine failure'.

ps. to the post about the engine? does someone have one for sale?
So it was modified and then blown up and then returned to stock in order to get a warranty claim? Sounds like fraud to me.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:43 PM

2002 MB E55 AMG
Warranty issues

Omron wrote: "if you so much as fit a performance air filter then you loose your warranty. thats the way it is. "

NOT so, according to my dealer. I called and asked before installing K & N's AND thermofoiling the airbox. Neither one of these actions would void the warranty, according to the DEALER.

TJC
Old 12-07-2003, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Omron wrote: "if you so much as fit a performance air filter then you loose your warranty. thats the way it is. "

NOT so, according to my dealer. I called and asked before installing K & N's AND thermofoiling the airbox. Neither one of these actions would void the warranty, according to the DEALER.

............I think there is a little confusion about this. Your warranty is NOT voided because you modified your car. You can still get your car regularly serviced at your dealer. However, if the dealer can show that the modification you caused some component in your car to fail, they can and frequently do refuse to fix it under warranty.

Ted
Old 12-07-2003, 09:25 PM

1999 ML 430, BMW R1100s
What is sooo crazy is the fact that I modified an '01 E430 with a Kleemann supercharger and suspension while UNDER FACTORY WARRANTY. Our local dealer still performed all of the free service and warrantied a water pump....WITH THE SUPERCHARGER THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They later called me and commented on how cool it was. Hmmm, guess we have some cool people around here??
Old 12-08-2003, 02:57 AM

05 sl600, 06 CLS55 AMG, 1971 Cuda
Question

This is confusing, car is at the dealer right now with a completely stock engine with 2 holes in it?? What happened to the 6.0 liter engine? Or the sticker??? !! Would be nice to know what really happened.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
As BenzMac eluded to, some dealers are better than others then it comes to modified vehicles.

I know a few Kleemann owners whose dealers love to service their cars.

Now with that said, I would be interested to see what these same dealers would do if there was a failure in the engine.

I bet some would pass it through under warranty while others would deny it.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:19 AM

05 sl600, 06 CLS55 AMG, 1971 Cuda
After my last post I checked another thread by Autostream which had this quote in it :

I am not spaming their dvd but you might like my short e55 driving scene. I funnel a beer and then do my 'move', a 360 degree turn at 40mph while staying in one lane!

I have a modified car also I have never had Problems at the dealer but as awiner replied ,They love to service some of the cars , But an engine failure like yours is more complicated. I hope you get it resolved as soon as possible, so we can see some more crazy videos!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:56 AM

Too Young To Drive
Sorry to hear about the engine failure. Guys, to clear up the confusion, his engine is as stock as he claims it. Those 6.0-litre and supercharger things in his sigs are merely STICKERS, interestingly enough.

Oh yeah, and BTW, you changed your springs and shocks. The different vibration modes of the chassis had been transmitted through the engine block and caused an internal engine leak in the head gasket - or so would claim the dealer. I'm pretty confident the dealer would give some c-r-a-p on those lines.

Good luck in your fight for justice...
Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Ted Baldwin
[B]......I think there is a little confusion about this. Your warranty is NOT voided because you modified your car. You can still get your car regularly serviced at your dealer. However, if the dealer can show that the modification you caused some component in your car to fail, they can and frequently do refuse to fix it under warranty....Ted
This is what I have been I trying to explain,lol twice already!

FRAUD YOU SAY??? Well its also fraud to NOT honor a written contract (warranty). You can go read up on the magnusson-moss act under 'burden of proof'

As for the confusion, you just need to read between the lines..
Old 12-08-2003, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6

As for the confusion, you just need to read between the lines..
This is the problem. There is nothing between the lines but BS.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
Now his website states:

"Temporarily removed for legal reasons, yikes....."

What's that all about?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm totally confused. Originally, I thought Autostream had bored his engine and slapped a SC on it, and was saying he didn't to see if he could get warranty coverage. However, when I look at dyno he posted of his car in his G-tech thread, his numbers are weak and definitely don't reflect a bored, supercharged 6.0 liter engine.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by Sleestack
I'm totally confused. Originally, I thought Autostream had bored his engine and slapped a SC on it, and was saying he didn't to see if he could get warranty coverage. However, when I look at dyno he posted of his car in his G-tech thread, his numbers are weak and definitely don't reflect a bored, supercharged 6.0 liter engine.

That's what I'm saying. There is so much inuendo and supposition in this thread, its hard to tell WTF is real and what isn't.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:12 PM
CRB

I am more bored with this thread than his engine ever was!
Old 12-08-2003, 09:33 PM
CHB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'79 300D, '85 300Dt, '99 CLK430
I'm disappointed to find out that his 6.0L and s/c are only stickers, dam poser. I used to think he was cool
Old 12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by 999hpCLK
I'm disappointed to find out that his 6.0L and s/c are only stickers, dam poser. I used to think he was cool
Either way you see it, he is full of it.

-Full of it because he was a poser saying 6.0, s/c engine and "backed it up" with g-tech info, videos and other sh...crap...
...And Full of it because he did have the s/c in the car and removed it to try to get warranty.

Autostream, you should've kept it for yourself the whole engine problem, IMO.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by pocholin
...And Full of it because he did have the s/c in the car and removed it to try to get warranty.
hey buddy, mercedes engines do fail on there own, a rarity yes, but it does happen! I have heard of a few due to my involvement with my own issues.
The dealer should/will warranty a stock blown motor since mercedes materials or workmanship had failed. Now, hypothetically speaking, if this guy had installed a supercharger before his engine blew, the same dealer most likely wouldnt honor the warranty because they would ASSUME that the s/c caused the failure when in reality they were wrong!

That is the same situation i am in.

I posted this here to help me find the elusive E55 engine, for which I already have a few good leads since this board reaches far around the world. For which i am grateful!

as for the stickers....they make my car go faster, i already ran a 12.5 @115mph with them and I'm thinking of added a vtec sticker cuz I hear they are good for 10hp
Old 12-08-2003, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
part one stared our modded AMG E55
I thoguht your E55 wasn't modded? Yet you state that in your previous thread about KHAOS video part II...
Old 12-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
hey buddy, mercedes engines do fail on there own, a rarity yes, but it does happen! I have heard of a few due to my involvement with my own issues.
I'm not saying that doesn't happen, engines do fail because they were defective, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, etc, they all are subject to failure, my point was that you lied to all of us saying you had a 6.0 engine and at the same time super charged.

On the other hand how can your Stock engine run mid 12s ???
Please share your launching and racing techniques because I just can't get my stock engine E55 to get into the 12s
Old 12-08-2003, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by pocholin
[B]...On the other hand how can your Stock engine run mid 12s ???..
you guys just arent getting it!
This board can be read by ANYONE, including the defendant's lawyers in my case!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I blew my E55 Engine!!! [Video}