Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

MKB SL55 tuning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
MKB SL55 tuning...

Repost, but it overlaps two topics....

Guys, before MKB changed their website, they had an SL55, MKB tuned, which had 558HP, and 800Nm of torque. Now, they said that the car was capable of 0-300km/hr in 26 seconds, yes 26 seconds. That is Porsche CGT time. Now, I though, simple, change the gearing for better acceleration, resulting in a loss of top end speed. BUT, they also said the same car reached 325km/hr safely after warm-up. Now, a standard SL55 AMG will do 202mph (325Km/hr) with no limiter.

And since we all know the Nardo test results were a bit fishy, how can an SL55 with "only" 58 more Hp. and a 100Nm of more torque, do the 0-300km/hr sprint in 26 seconds, without changed gearing, since it can also do 325km/hr!!!

So I got thinking in my naive technical brain, (i'm just a layman sicne I have no real technical knowledge of cars) how can this be, either MKB are lying or they've done something ingenious. I then looked at the new tuning packages they offered for the 55K cars, and almost all of them have changed gearing, BUT their 800Nm comes not at 2600rpm, but at 4190RPM. SO, if you get their most powerful tuning package for the SL55, WITHOUT changing the gearing, could you do 0-300km/hr in 26 seconds??? :
Here is the MKB packages...

http://www.mkb-power.de/pages_en/pro...oups%5Bid%5D=5

So, in essence if the theory is correct, then why doesn't AMG design engines where the torque comes in at higher revs, that way the car will be insanely fast in a straight line (what an AMG is good at). This way, the gearbox will be stopped from eating itself up, and you have a FAST car. Supercharged engines are reknowed for producing great low end torque, the stuff you need in a car weighing 2 Tons plus, but if you move that torque higher up, (which koenigsegg also does), then you have a quick car, so what i'm trying to ask is, can't AMG do this? And if they do decide to do this, what are the drawbacks?? If any, I mean I know its gonna be a quick car, but I don't want a full tank of fuel wasted, by driving like an old grandma, and find I have to refill after 200 miles or so.

Technical experts...fire away, and please excuse me if I am technically wrong, I'm here to learn...