Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

1990 300se coolant in oil. Head gasket? Please come in.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 300se coolant in oil. Head gasket? Please come in.

The car had problem of broken off the spak plug tip continuously while the oil still look clean. And it has coolant lost problem too. Then one beautiful day of 5 weeks ago it decided not to run anymore.

My dad were driving it. He said he couldn't start it no more. Before that happened, coolant lost very quick. We towed it home and yes, I can't start it anymore. It can start but then shut off right away.

I check oil and woo, I can have instant milky coffee without spending a penny. Is it for sure the head gasket problem?

He called a shop which is a friend of my brother. This guy asked between $700 to $1,000 or maybe even more if there will be serious damage. Honestly it's hard for us to spend $1,000 bucks right now so I decided to open it up myself. with a help of another friend. None of us ever done this before but my friend did it on his old celica year ago. Do you guys think I can do it? Any instruction somewhere which can help us?

Thanks much guys. I am waiting for respond. Please input.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
If you have oil in coolant or coolant in oil, that is most likely a headgasket problem. somewhere, it's cracked and seeping one way or the other.

about $1000 is right. It's a VERY LONG process to change it out. About 11 hours to do the job. Parts is very cheap (about $125-$200) and then the rest is all labor from the dealer or shop.

It can be done yourself, but you need the right tools and the patience to do it. TAKE YOUR TIME if you are going to replace it yourself.

Good luck.