Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

M113 n/a tuning limit? Standalone etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Merc
M113 n/a tuning limit? Standalone etc.

I'm planning on building a m113 without forced induction. I'll be starting with a 5.0 - from what I understand, the heads are the same as the 5.4 - and developing it until I'm ready to swap everything to a 5.4.
The idea is to build a bit of a screamer, something that will give a 156 a run for its money, and couple it to a 6 speed manual. I realise a 3 valve head is a limitation, but a 119 has an iron block and would be detrimental to chassis dynamics. A 156 is cost prohibitive. And a 273 is problematic and also expensive.

My aim is to get it running on standalone, with long tube manifolds, no cats, x pipe, and a modified inlet manifold (porting and possibly moving the throttle body to the front, eliminating the variable length section and welding in velocity stacks).
As I understand, the 5.0 gives ~300hp stock. What sort of power level is achievable with the above? I could definitely crack 400hp with the 5.4.

Stage 2 would consist of high lift cams and stiffer valve springs, possibly porting the heads, and w/m injection.
What sort of rpm can a 113 cope with on stock internals? My aim is to rev it out as high as possible. 8k sounds like a nice number. What else is required to achieve this rpm? Do I need ARP hardware?
i realise bottom end power would suffer, but I don't think it's going to affect driveability too much on a 5.0+ engine.
What sort of power can I expect from this?

Stage 3 would consist of moving to the 5.4 block. From what I've read, it seems the rods should be able to take a fair bit of power.

Stage 4 starts to get expensive and is probably the limit. It consists of ITB's and increasing CR by way of new pistons.
Has anyone gone with this approach? At what point are larger valves required? At what point do rods need changing? And is it possible to overbore?​​​​​​
What sort of power would this setup put out?
Anything I've missed?

If anyone could share info, links, or point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Hooblah; 10-23-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
rods are stronger than the regular 500 series rods but not as strong as 113k rods. i did a 500 to 55 engine swap, im not sure standalone is worth the effort/cost especially if this is going to be N/a motor

it's a v8, i wouldn't go crazy trying to make it rev up to 8k, these engines usually dont make much MORE power after 4000/5000rpm anyways...the sweet spot is around 3000-4000 in my experience

there's a guy on youtube building an e55 racecar who just added a 6 speed manual to his 55 m113k engine, you can learn a lot from his videos

Last edited by ctravis595; 07-19-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: m113 not m133 lol
The following users liked this post:
W220BossDon (05-06-2024)