Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

M157 overbore and NSC cylinder replate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 GL63 AMG
M157 overbore and NSC cylinder replate

I'm starting to think about what the future might be for our recently purchased GL63 AMG (with cylinder 5 misfire detected) ... wondering whether anyone experiencing cylinder scoring on an M157 motor has gone for an overbore and replate with custom pistons? I spoke with Millenium Technoligies about this idea, and was informed that the overbore would be necessary as their process to remove the MB Silitec plating would remove more material than could be built back up using MT's NSC (Nickel Silicon Carbide) plating. Ballpark cost for block work was said to be ~$3,500. Guesstimate on custom pistons was given at $5,500. Of course work would be required on the heads as well, along with labor. Right now I'm just wondering if anyone's gone a direction other than either selling the vehicle or replacing with another factory spec motor. My hope is that I don't have to do any of this, as I'll be almost certainly in serious trouble with the wife if any of these are necessary.

Matt