Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

SLK 55 AMG, Super/Turbocharger information please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 04:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
SLK 55 AMG, Super/Turbocharger information please.

I have a SLK 55 AMG that is a 5,439-cc AMG-built SOHC 24-valve 90º V-8. High-pressure die-cast alloy cylinder block. Refinforced crankshaft and valvetrain. Alloy Heads. Lightweight camshafts. Reinforced engine block, oil pan structure, pistons, connecting rods and crankshaft. The Net power is 362 @ 6,000 rpm. Net torque is 376 lb-ft @ 3,500 rpm. The compression ratio is 11.0:1. The induction is a Magnesium 2-stage resonance intake manifold that increaes intake runner length at lower rpm for improved response. The fuel and ignition system is a ME 2.8 engine management, Intergrated sequential multipoint fuel injection and phased twin-spark ignition which includes individual cykubder control of fuel spray, spark timing and phase, and antiknock. Electronic throttle. Two high-energy ignition coils and two spark plugs per cylinder. 100,000-mile spark plug intervals. The exhaust system is a Dual AMG low-backpressure with four polished stainless-steel tips. The fuel requirement is Premium unleaded gasoline, 91 pump octane.

I know I gave too much information, but it might be useful to answer my question.

I want to increase the horspower from 362 to above 425hp, but I prefer to have an increase of 100 hp making it a 462 hp V-8. The more the better. I was looking into turbochargers and superchargers. Turbochargers seem like a lot of labor work, but I still might do it. Superchargers are easier to put into the car. I am 17 years old so really I don't have enough money to buy an expensive supercharger. Does anybody know if I can get a Mercedes Benz Supercharger or a Turbocharger that can fit on that engine? If not does anybody know about Kleeman, Brabus, Carlssonn, or Lorinzer if they have super/turbochargers? And if not does anybody know a really good, reliable supercharger that I can put on my car? A resonable price and good to great quailty is what I am looking for.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure if you'll meet or beat the 460hp goal, but I'd go to Evosport with that question, they can design you an entire phase of upgrades that'll gradually get your hp to that mark, and even further.

I wouldn't just add a supercharger, I would do that as a last step measure and do things such as new air intakes, better flowing exhaust / headers, and other various things car guys do
Old 12-24-2004, 05:19 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Not sure if you'll meet or beat the 460hp goal, but I'd go to Evosport with that question, they can design you an entire phase of upgrades that'll gradually get your hp to that mark, and even further.
I wouldn't just add a supercharger, I would do that as a last step measure and do things such as new air intakes, better flowing exhaust / headers, and other various things car guys do
I don't want to replace a lot of the original Mercedes Benz stuff. I won't change exhaust system because the one already on the car is good. If I change it I probably will get 7 to 10 hp more. Air intakes is the same story. I don't really know about headers. I know that good superchargers can add 100 hp. I was reading about a supercharger for GMC SUVs that can have an 150 to 170 hp increase.

Thanks for the info

Last edited by Deuce; 12-24-2004 at 05:20 AM. Reason: error
Old 12-24-2004, 05:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

American engines (especially for trucks) are a WHOLE different story then your AMG. My friends and I commonly see 200hp 200lb-ft torque increases on simple chip swaps on these trucks. They are beasts and should not be compared to AMG's because of the very different structure they are designed around.

Those 20 or so horses will be throughout the entire powerband, and will prove to be the best bang for the buck changes. A supercharger is expensive, and a much more deviation from factory then these mods. Kleemann however, offers a supercharger that'll put you around the specs you want IIRC. It's around 11k from Evosport.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:51 AM

ricky.agrawal

You are dreaming if you say they get 200/200 from a chip.

As for SLK 55 AMG, you don't want to change the exhaust/ air filters because they are good already. Obviously you know nothing about cars. Sell it and buy something else.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:29 AM

2003 Nissan 350Z
S/C would be the way to go. You have to pay to play.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Nothing can ever be as good as something specced out individually for your car.

athlon70, not dreaming, reading. I've seen F350's keep up with purebred racecars on strips. It's scary seeing a boat being towed by a huge diseal, in the left lane racing you for the light. :p
Old 12-24-2004, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Exclamation I'm sure that Ricky.Agrawal is refring to the current turbo-diesel trucks...

Originally Posted by athlon70
ricky.agrawal

You are dreaming if you say they get 200/200 from a chip.

As for SLK 55 AMG, you don't want to change the exhaust/ air filters because they are good already. Obviously you know nothing about cars. Sell it and buy something else.

And 200 hp/lb-ft or torque is certainly reasonable with an upgraded ECU. These newer turbo diesels are capable of extraordinary power. There are more than a few TD's making almost 1000 lb/ft of torque, albeit with upgraded turbos, intake, exhaust and propane injection (Yes, propane!) For sheets and giggles check out the "Bullydog" webpage...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) The SLK55 exhaust may be good, but if the "headers" are anything like the CLK55's there are definitely gains to be found...
Old 12-25-2004, 05:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Is the SLK55 engine the same as the rest of the un-supercharged 55 engines?