Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Who installed a Kleeman SC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CLK55
Talking

Originally Posted by Fast55
Yes, they do use a water to air intercooler like Kleeman, Renntech, and AMG. I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to get a temp probe in there after the intercooler to get a reading on the air temp. We would really need 2 sensors, one reading intake air temp, and one reading leaving intercooler temp to get an idea of it's efficiency VS the factory or Kleeman setup. I'll take a look.
As routine as the internet can be at times, it's always entertaining to rediscover what's great about the internet. Having so much information at your finger tips, and be able to corespond with people from all over!

When you're seriously contemplating buying something like a supercharger, it's not just the cost of the kit itself, but the fact that I'm commiting to going the "tuner car" route versus upgrading to a "better" OEM car. I saw and sat in an SLK55 for the first time, and I'd love to buy one, but I can have my CLK55 on par with a 550 Maranello/Aston Martin performance and "GT'ness" wise (HPS, coil-overs,brakes, etc...) for less than it would cost me to trade. Anyway, my point is that I'm glad that you have an HPS system, and that you're willing to tell me about it some. Thanks for the information so far, and thanks in advance for the future inquiries!

Do you mind filling me in on your experiences so far? How long have you had it? I looked up some of your previous posts, but I didn't see when you got it, and first impressions, etc...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s., Speaking of "tuner" cars, those of us in the northern hemisphere who are planning on doing some serious work, had better get on it if they want everything ready for spring!
Old 02-02-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
2nr & Ted:

I have had the Kleemann s/c setup on my 430 since Feb '02. I bought the car with the system already on it and it came with receipts that show it was installed by PES in PA. I drive my car EVERY DAY. I have put a total of 25K miles on it since I've had it and have had only one problem with the SC system. Yes Ted, the water pump. First time I had it replaced with the same type, which proceeded to fail after around 8K miles. Then, I got in touch with Donnie and Bill at MB Autowerks near Atlanta Georgia. These guys are the Kings of Kleemann. I'll try to post a link to their shop's site and what I think is their MB forum. I really can't say enough about how helpful and knowledgeable these people are when it comes to Kleemann.

The way Donnie explained it to me, the failure prone model of the Kleemann pump fails because coolant from the impeller side of the pump seaps into the bearings and destroys them and the water pump seal. Apparently, this condition is the result of there not being a "weep hole" designed into the water pump which would allow a place for the pump to "bleed" the coolant that may get into that cavity out before it does damage. I purchased a Kleemann pump from MB Autowerks which they modified by the addition of the weep hole and have had it in my car, failure free, for over 13K miles. I think I paid less than $300.00 for it. Also, Donnie and Bill gave me step by step instructions on how to remove the old pump and install the replacement myself so that I saved the $$ associated with transporting the car down to GA from Northern Virginia. The entire removal and re-installation project took me around five hours to complete.

Other than that, I am really pleased with the Kleemann system. Drive normally and you don't even know it's there - press the gas and it's Hiroshima time.

2nr - I notice you live in N. Va. Let me know if you want to drive before you buy.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Thumbs up

Lowphat-

That's good to know. I'm waiting for funds to come in sometime in Feb and plan
to give PES a week or two notice. I'm glad to know what educated questions to
ask and what to expect.

I'm near Manassas (Bristow area) and would love to check out your ride. I'm often in the Chantilly area too. Send me an IM or e-mail. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowphat
2nr & Ted:

I have had the Kleemann s/c setup on my 430 since Feb '02. I bought the car with the system already on it and it came with receipts that show it was installed by PES in PA. I drive my car EVERY DAY. I have put a total of 25K miles on it since I've had it and have had only one problem with the SC system. Yes Ted, the water pump. First time I had it replaced with the same type, which proceeded to fail after around 8K miles. Then, I got in touch with Donnie and Bill at MB Autowerks near Atlanta Georgia. These guys are the Kings of Kleemann. I'll try to post a link to their shop's site and what I think is their MB forum. I really can't say enough about how helpful and knowledgeable these people are when it comes to Kleemann.

The way Donnie explained it to me, the failure prone model of the Kleemann pump fails because coolant from the impeller side of the pump seaps into the bearings and destroys them and the water pump seal. Apparently, this condition is the result of there not being a "weep hole" designed into the water pump which would allow a place for the pump to "bleed" the coolant that may get into that cavity out before it does damage. I purchased a Kleemann pump from MB Autowerks which they modified by the addition of the weep hole and have had it in my car, failure free, for over 13K miles. I think I paid less than $300.00 for it. Also, Donnie and Bill gave me step by step instructions on how to remove the old pump and install the replacement myself so that I saved the $$ associated with transporting the car down to GA from Northern Virginia. The entire removal and re-installation project took me around five hours to complete.

Other than that, I am really pleased with the Kleemann system. Drive normally and you don't even know it's there - press the gas and it's Hiroshima time.

2nr - I notice you live in N. Va. Let me know if you want to drive before you buy.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/

Unfortunately, I do believe that MB Autowerks was forced to close their doors. Donnie is amazing.