Performance Upgrades & Tuning Discuss general performance and tuning enhancements for your Mercedes-Benz.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Supersprint

Who installed a Kleeman SC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Question Who installed a Kleeman SC?

I'm getting close to seriously getting one and want to know if others have done
this? The closest place is 200 miles from where I live and based on what Kleeman said, it takes about 3 days. I just contacted the shop in PA to get more detailed information. Who has done this on the forum? Any feedback is
great. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
whatever you do....

don't go to AI design. PM for more details
Old 12-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by trbo2nr
I'm getting close to seriously getting one and want to know if others have done
this? The closest place is 200 miles from where I live and based on what Kleeman said, it takes about 3 days. I just contacted the shop in PA to get more detailed information. Who has done this on the forum? Any feedback is
great. Thanks.
Try searching for "timster" and his experiences/mods.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
If you have an AMG-
-There is no need to get a body kit
-Get a Kleeman Supercharger Performance Kit, will increase your engine by 200 hp. I have 2005 SLK 55 AMG (360hp), Kleeman said they have a special kit for my car and would raise it up to 560 hp. The Performance Kit would have cost $15,900 inculding tax and labor. Warranty was 1 year/ unlimited miles. Brabus had a performance kit that would have made my car 440 hp for $30,000 including tax and labor with a warranty of 4 years/ 48,000 miles.

If you don't have an AMG-
-Still get the Kleeman SUpercharger Performance Kit first
-Okay, get the body kit, but it is really not worth it. When people see you in that they will think your car is tricked out and will want to race with you. Then you got nothing added to your engine. So if you do get the body kit, at least get a Supercharger from Kleeman.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.......I have a Kleemann s/c in both my CLK32 and my G55. The CLK32 also has diff ratio changed to 3.27 and has a Kleemann ECu remap and the Kleemann suspension. The CLK32 has an awesome car to drive, but I have had persistent problems with the s/c water pump which I understand was a poor design by Kleemann. It has had to be replaced twice. The the cost of the initial replacement was bourne by Kleemann, but I had to pay for the second one. Now I am told that I can upgrade the water pump connections to the re-designed one at a cost of $1500. My point is that, dollar for dollar, nothing comes close the performance you get from a Kleemann s/c. However, warranty is an issue. Do not believe anyone that says it isn't. I think Kleemann is a good company, but reality is that you do not have an engine warranty and most MB dealers totally hate modified cars, so do not count on sympathy from your dealer. Having said that, instances of engine failure with Kleemanns/c is rare.

..........My G55 is simply incredible with the Kleemann s/c. I have had no issues with it. If your car is a V6, be sure that they are using the new s/c water pump otherwise you WILL have a water pump failure, period! If your car is a V8, you will not have this problem, but make sure they use the correct pulley. Apparently, there sre two possible pulleys available, and for reasons I don't claim to completely understand, one of those pulleys does not significant HP gains. Mine had to be changed in my G55. Why Kleemann will have such a pulley on the market in the first place is beyond me. In summary, Kleemann s/c yields incrdible power gains, but the company has made some new kid on the block mistakes in design and execution that could have been avoided, plus, you have no engine warranty.

Ted
Old 12-26-2004, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Try searching for "timster" and his experiences/mods.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silversurfer
don't go to AI design. PM for more details
I found

PES
Old 12-26-2004, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Ted for the information and what to keep my eyes on. It's much
appreciated. Yeah, for shelling out 9k or so, I expect the best and won't
settle for anything less.

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.......I have a Kleemann s/c in both my CLK32 and my G55. The CLK32 also has diff ratio changed to 3.27 and has a Kleemann ECu remap and the Kleemann suspension. The CLK32 has an awesome car to drive, but I have had persistent problems with the s/c water pump which I understand was a poor design by Kleemann. It has had to be replaced twice. The the cost of the initial replacement was bourne by Kleemann, but I had to pay for the second one. Now I am told that I can upgrade the water pump connections to the re-designed one at a cost of $1500. My point is that, dollar for dollar, nothing comes close the performance you get from a Kleemann s/c. However, warranty is an issue. Do not believe anyone that says it isn't. I think Kleemann is a good company, but reality is that you do not have an engine warranty and most MB dealers totally hate modified cars, so do not count on sympathy from your dealer. Having said that, instances of engine failure with Kleemanns/c is rare.

..........My G55 is simply incredible with the Kleemann s/c. I have had no issues with it. If your car is a V6, be sure that they are using the new s/c water pump otherwise you WILL have a water pump failure, period! If your car is a V8, you will not have this problem, but make sure they use the correct pulley. Apparently, there sre two possible pulleys available, and for reasons I don't claim to completely understand, one of those pulleys does not significant HP gains. Mine had to be changed in my G55. Why Kleemann will have such a pulley on the market in the first place is beyond me. In summary, Kleemann s/c yields incrdible power gains, but the company has made some new kid on the block mistakes in design and execution that could have been avoided, plus, you have no engine warranty.

Ted
Old 12-26-2004, 12:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I've had a Kleemann supercharger on my G55 for 30,000 miles. Not a single problem.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55K
I've had a Kleemann supercharger on my G55 for 30,000 miles. Not a single problem.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:41 PM

2005 Kleemann Stage 3 E55
Originally Posted by trbo2nr
Good to know. Thanks.
Trbo2nr,

Two weeks ago I took my 2000 mile 05 E55 to KleemannUSA in Colorado Springs and dropped it off for the full 9 yards. Prior to that I invested in an air ticket to go and check them out. I must say that Brandon and Cory (of KleemanUSA) possess tons of great info and I highly encourage you to tap into them. They are genuine people who Train the people who do the work on your car. Give them a ring and spend some time with them. You will feel good that you did.

Eric
Old 12-27-2004, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Gid_E_Up
Trbo2nr,

Two weeks ago I took my 2000 mile 05 E55 to KleemannUSA in Colorado Springs and dropped it off for the full 9 yards. Prior to that I invested in an air ticket to go and check them out. I must say that Brandon and Cory (of KleemanUSA) possess tons of great info and I highly encourage you to tap into them. They are genuine people who Train the people who do the work on your car. Give them a ring and spend some time with them. You will feel good that you did.

Eric
Thanke Eric, I prefer using the folks everyone else is using. I'm in Virginia, so
that's quite a haul (the main reason I found PES in PA). I really need to figure
out the visit to Colorado Springs..... more planning...
Old 12-27-2004, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
PES they are great they did my Kleemann S/C on my E430 no problems, took them little longer but thats because it was the first time they did the new generation S/C from Kleemann, the one that has a electric water pump.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:39 PM

E430,S500
Hubert, What is your hp #'s now that you have the kleeman S/C. Also, have you ever tracked your car? If so, what are your 1/4 mile times? I plan on S/Charging my car, I just haven't decided which company to go with.

C.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
...........even competitors to Kleemann will admit that the Kleemann outfit are stand up guys and honest and kind and wonderful and they go to church on sundays and they feed hungry orphans everyday. I like Kleemann products and the arrival of Kleemann in the USA has allowed me to have two personalized super cars at a relative bargain with minimal problems.

..........However, anyone who already has a Kleemann s/c or is getting one has some issues to consider. You will not have a warranty past one year. You need to avoid the previous generation water pump and you need to avoid a certain pulley set up that does not generate significant HP gains. This does not mean that the Kleemann guys are not church going, orphan feeding, kind and wonderful folks.

...........Since this is a forum to gather info, if anyone who has additional things to watch out for should let us know. The info will help someone else. For instance, if the first guy/ or gal that had a water pump failure had provided others with the info, then I and others would have been spared. Kleemann as a company would have been under more sales pressure to develop a better water pump sooner than they did and everyone including Kleemann would have been better off. By the way, my CLK32 water pump just failed again for the third time. So off to Kleemann I go to get the new generation water pump.

Ted
Old 12-28-2004, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
I had 347hp to the wheels on a dyno and thats with Evosport pulley and ignition stage I upgrade. I dont know if it makes a difference but when i dyno my car i had 19" Carlsson wheels that are like 70lbs each on. The weather was not too good either it was middle of summer in NY gets kind of humid here.
As for the new generation water pump no problems so far, at the begining when i changed my coolant i had a problem to take air out of the system but called Cory at Kleemann and it was solved(told me how to do it)
Old 12-28-2004, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hubert
PES they are great they did my Kleemann S/C on my E430 no problems, took them little longer but thats because it was the first time they did the new generation S/C from Kleemann, the one that has a electric water pump.
Ok. Yeah, they're not too far from you. That's why I'm considering going there.
Colorado Springs sounds good too but the drive is a ..... from VA.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
JamE55 has a Kleeman W210 E55 as well. Haven't heard any problems with his. Spot on as far as warranty. MB dealers gag on mods. Some are worse than others. I would talk with your dealer prior to doing this to get their position. If this is still an issue, maybe consider HPS as they are the only ones I know of who offer an aftermarket warranty on the entire drivetrain.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:33 AM

03 CLK55
Exclamation Warranty is a big issue for me...

Originally Posted by Fast55
JamE55 has a Kleeman W210 E55 as well. Haven't heard any problems with his. Spot on as far as warranty. MB dealers gag on mods. Some are worse than others. I would talk with your dealer prior to doing this to get their position. If this is still an issue, maybe consider HPS as they are the only ones I know of who offer an aftermarket warranty on the entire drivetrain.

And that, in addition to being less expensive, is why I am most likely going to buy the new HPS intercooled supercharger over a Kleeman. I'm confident that the Kleeman system won't cause any problems, but if ANY problem in the drivetrain comes up, regardless if the cause of the problem is due to the supercharger or not, I suspect that you'd have a very difficult time getting it fixed under warranty. I'm confident with both AMG and with Kleeman, but I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble a very expensive motor based on that confidence.

From what it sounds like, the new intercooled HPS supercharger is going to make plenty of power. Truthfully, I'll be happy with another hundred horsepower, although I'm hearing that we can expect about an 150 hp gain (362+150=512hp!). I think I'm willing to sacrifice 50-60 hp in order to gain a 4 year/48,000 mile warranty and save myself about $3000 (Based of Evosports' $11,000 sale price) or so...

Best regards,
Matt
Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

150 HP should be easily attainable from a 55. The first E430 to get the system and have dyno numbers available made an extra 108 HP AT THE WHEELS. This is over and above on a car that already had an ECU upgrade that could no longer be used with the HPS system. That works out to about 130 crank HP. It wouldn't surprise me if it made 160-175 extra crank HP on the 5.5 liter motors. Mine should be done by the end of next week. Cost aside, the warranty was my deciding factor as well. Don't even want to know what a new motor for the 55 would be worth.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
................althoug I am myself biased towards Kleemann's produts, I thnk a thread like this is very useful for Kleemann, HPS, Brabus etc...........now they know that as reliable as their product might be, customers still strongly want a warranty and will gravitate sooner or later to those companies that offer it. I hink there is a name for this......it is called free market.

.............it looks like since MB is going back to NA engines for their AMG line up, thataftermarket s/c market wil go up again. As HPS coninuesto improve, it looks like Kleemann will be wise tostrongly consider offering an engine warranty

Ted
Old 12-31-2004, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Who is doing Kleemann installs in Atlanta currently?
Old 01-02-2005, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Who is doing Kleemann installs in Atlanta currently?

............Donnie still does revisions on the cars he did before while at MBautowerks. No new ones as far as I know are still being done.

Ted
Old 01-02-2005, 09:35 PM

03 CLK55
Exclamation Definitely...

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
................althoug I am myself biased towards Kleemann's produts, I thnk a thread like this is very useful for Kleemann, HPS, Brabus etc...........now they know that as reliable as their product might be, customers still strongly want a warranty and will gravitate sooner or later to those companies that offer it. I hink there is a name for this......it is called free market.

.............it looks like since MB is going back to NA engines for their AMG line up, thataftermarket s/c market wil go up again. As HPS coninuesto improve, it looks like Kleemann will be wise tostrongly consider offering an engine warranty

Ted
Now if it were one or the other, meaning the signifigantly lower price and a warranty, I would consider Kleeman more, but I also have faith that HPS will come out with a good product. What I really would like to know, is what the intake temperature difference is between both systems, as that will have a big influence on drivability and pre-ignition/detonation resistence. With the crazy wather thhat we get anymore, I want to be sure that my car will still be able to do high heat (ambient)/heavy duty cycles without having to worry about engine damage due to any pre-ignition/detonation...

Best regards,
Matt

p.s.) From what I read, the new HPS system has an air-to liquid intercooler like Kleemans does, which is a good start...
Old 01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, they do use a water to air intercooler like Kleeman, Renntech, and AMG. I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to get a temp probe in there after the intercooler to get a reading on the air temp. We would really need 2 sensors, one reading intake air temp, and one reading leaving intercooler temp to get an idea of it's efficiency VS the factory or Kleeman setup. I'll take a look.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who installed a Kleeman SC?