Questions about how MBWorld.org works...not for car questions. Use this forum for help on using all or any part of the forums. Make sure to read the Forum FAQs first.

mistake on mbworld!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
mistake on mbworld!

ANYONE notice when posting those lil check boxes..

Automatically parse links in text

shouldnt it be paste?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00/'04 SLK230 Designo Copper, '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate
I don't think I understand your post...parse vs. paste. I noticed you posted the same thing 3 or 4 times though. And it's been happening to a bunch of folks lately. Seems the forum website is getting hung up. I thought it was just my connection at home, but it's happening here too.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
I didn't understand that post either--you've got to quit smoking that stuff!

But I agree things are not quite right here in recent days: Besides being even slower than usual--and that's saying something--a number of "buttons" do not work as advertised. For example, what happened to the "Manage Attachments" button? I use that a lot, and ever since they changed operating systems that and other things are not working properly. I'm sure they know about the problems (right Ricky?) and are working to fix the site.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 PM

I just shot a PM to ricky to ask about the site being slow and partially inop.

Last edited by DesignoSLK; 09-12-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
The site has not yet been switched to the new server, there was a small version upgrade though.

Attachments will be restored once the switchover is complete.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:40 PM

FYI...Just got this from ricky...

Re: Sluggish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sites been slow for a while, we're working on transitioning the forum over to a much faster server. Unfortunetly we have a lot of testing to do to make sure we don't screw things up.

We're hoping for a time frame (this is my guess, so don't hold other admins to this) of a week or less. I'm really pushing hard to get these new servers up because honestly, if MBworld is slow, it's unenjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignoSLK
Hey Ricky!

The site seems a lot more sluggish and non-responsive than usual. And buttons are missing or inoperable. Is this being worked?

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 09-12-2006, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Thanks for the feedback guys! Hope it all works out okay...
Old 09-13-2006, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

93 320CE, 72 280SE 3.5, 55 220A, 05 E280CDI, 88 Mini Mayfair, 90 Peugeot 205GTI, 04 Mini Cooper
Originally Posted by Riffyb
ANYONE notice when posting those lil check boxes..

Automatically parse links in text

shouldnt it be paste?

....... and back to the original question. I don't know if that is a mistake or computer speak. Ricky! RB! anyone.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 321 Likes on 237 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Parse means parse. It's technobabble for allow hot links. "Parse" is computerspeak for "analyze text for meaning," in this case something that looks like a hyperlink (http://...). I turned off that option just now so the forum software wouldn't get confused by my previous sentence.

The forum software parses these sentences just like students do (or did) in English class, to understand their syntax.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
Parse means parse. It's technobabble for allow hot links. "Parse" is computerspeak for "analyze text for meaning," in this case something that looks like a hyperlink (http://...). I turned off that option just now so the forum software wouldn't get confused by my previous sentence.

The forum software parses these sentences just like students do (or did) in English class, to understand their syntax.
?!?! I'm still lost, but that's not uncommon.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Kevin,

It's simple. Notice how the forum lets you click on "http://..." in your latest post (where you quoted me), but not in mine? That's because I unchecked the "Automatically parse links in text" box but you didn't.

My answer includes that string, which the forum software thinks it recognizes as a hot link. The interpretation that it does to recognize hot links is called parsing.

Sometimes (as in my post) something that looks like a link isn't one. The forum software thoughtfully provides a way to avoid creating dead links in those cases. That way is the weird Miscellaneous Option that this thread is discussing. A better name for it would be "Allow hotlinks in text."

Last edited by whoover; 09-20-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by whoover
Kevin,

It's simple. Notice how the forum lets you click on "http://..." in your latest post (where you quoted me), but not in mine? That's because I unchecked the "Automatically parse links in text" box but you didn't.

My answer includes that string, which the forum software thinks it recognizes as a hot link. The interpretation that it does to recognize hot links is called parsing.

Sometimes (as in my post) something that looks like a link isn't one. The forum software thoughtfully provides a way to avoid creating dead links in those cases. That way is the weird Miscellaneous Option that this thread is discussing. A better name for it would be "Allow hotlinks in text."
OK, so "parse" is the term used to abbreviate a hyperlink, but still have it be a viable link? Or have I totally missed it?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
"Parse" means "analyze." In this context, "parse links in text" means "I, the forum software, will replace any words of the form with "http://xyz" with the fairly complicated string that your browser will treat as a hotlink."

This is probably TMI, but "http://www.google.com" is not what your browser recognizes and turns into an underlined blue hot-spot. It really takes

<a href="http://www.google.com">http://www.google.com</a>

to do that. When Internet Explorer or other web browser sees that, it makes it look like a hot link.

To allow you to just type an address, like http://www.google.com, the forum software recognizes it and converts it into the more complicated deal that the browser expects.

That's "parsing links."

But the forum software is stupid. It doesn't know if the link is valid or not. It will dumbly convert anything that starts with "http://." If its not a good address, it will make a bad link. So in the rare event that the thread is discussing this stuff (called HTML or HyperText Markup Language), you can tell it to not waste it's time because there's confusing crap in the message.

Keep in mind that the same software runs lots of boards. This thread is probably the only time in the history of MBWorld that this option is nice to have. On WebNerdWorld, it would be used all the time.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 AM

I get it now. I don't know that I'll ever need to further understand it, but if it comes up in converstion, I'll have a light-gripped handle on it. Thanks for taking the time to explain it!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Parse has much broader definition than that. Here's a small sample, FWIW:

Definitions of parse on the Web:

To break down a string of information such as a command or file into its constituent parts.
www.sabc.co.za/manual/ibm/9agloss.htm

Analysis of the grammar and structure of a computer language (like SQL).
www.orafaq.org/glossary/faqglosp.htm

President's Award for Research and Scholarly Excellence.
www.athabascau.ca/misc/glossary.html

While traditionally a concept of syntax and grammar validation, when used in relation to mark-up languages, this terms refers to a process of validating files by checking that tags are applied legally according to a pre-defined structure. This structure is typically defined by the Document Type Definition (DTD). Common terms used in mark-up validation are "parser" (a piece of software that validates) and "parsed".
www.dclab.com/DCLTP.ASP

To interpret a network address or command in order to do something with it. For example, to translate a FidoNet address into a form which can be understood by machines on the Internet, it is necessary to break it into its constituent parts (user's name, zone, network, node, and point) and put the parts in an order which Internet mail transport mechanisms understand. ...
associate.com/camsoc/ctt/gloss-p.html

processing of a text file to extract desired data. Linguistic parsing may recognize words and phrases in text, and even recognize parts of speech.
philip.pristine.net/glit/en/terms.html

The step in processing an SQL statement in which the syntax, object validation, and user authorization are confirmed, and during which the execution is built or retrieved from memory.
docs.rinet.ru/O8/glossary.htm

In linguistics, to divide language into small components that can be analyzed. For example, parsing this sentence would involve dividing it into words and phrases and identifying the type of each component (eg, verb, adjective, or noun).
http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/inte...rogramming.htm

To divide, analyse, and categorise individual components of language into small units so they can be utilised usefully in computer programming.
www.scotsmist.co.uk/glossary_p.html

When a page in RealCart is parsed, your product data, company data and other RealCart settings are merged with the templates creating your finished pages. Parsing occurs each time you Rebuild Pages in RealCart. When you rebuild a single page or when rebuilding them all the parser in RealCart loads each template, locates RealCart square tags and replaces them with data from the RealCart database, the Windows registry or from a RealCart snippit file in the Template folder.
index.realcartu.com/frames/p.html

To divide a language (programming languages in our case) into components for analysis or to perform operations.
www.satellite-tv-hq.com/telecom-glossary-p.htm

Breaking something down into units that can be analyzed, like finding the main verb of a sentence or a directory name within a URL.
www.metromemetics.com/thelexicon/p.asp

To parse text means to break it up into smaller parts. The term is commonly used in computer science to refer to reading programming code. For example, after a program is written, whether it be in C++, Java, or any other language, the code needs to be parsed by the complier in order to be compiled. Web scripts, written in scripting languages such as Perl or PHP, need to be parsed on the web server so that they can output the correct HTML to a user's browser. ...
www.netchico.com/support/glossary/p.html

To divide a string of characters or series of words into parts to determine their collective meaning. Virtually every program that accepts command input must do some type of parsing before the commands can be acted upon.
ism.ucdavis.edu/info/solaris/AdminSuite-2.3/Sol_AS_Print_html/print_glossary.html

analyze syntactically by assigning a constituent structure to (a sentence)
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Parsing is the process of splitting up a continuous stream of characters (read from a file or keyboard input, for example) into meaningful tokens, and then building a parse tree from those tokens. The name is by analogy with the usage in grammar and linguistics.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parse
Old 09-23-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 S500, 05 Jeep GC, 06 Acura TL, 04 BMW 530i, 98 Jag xk8,
ohh i get it.. well thank you